458 and 488 price parity... | Page 12 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory breaker

Rory breaker Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2017
    So interesting how people try to get inside other peoples heads, to make judgments for them, to in reality make themselves feel better about the choices they make themselves. Whatever you gotta do to be happy man, good luck.

2. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Well, drove a 488 gtb today and have to say it's a very very good car...

Don't see them dropping much more; I'll think they will stay put for a while.

PTG1 likes this.
  3. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    All of the factors driving used exotic car prices down are still in play, why would they not drop?

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Both the 458 and the 488 are incredible Ferraris. Spine tingling machines, meant to be driven and enjoyed. Meant to be looked after and enjoyed in terms of smiles and memorable drives, not mileage.

At the end of the day, buying these cars is very hard to justify rationally and/or financially. Believe me: my wife laughs everytime I try, and gives me that look most of us know all too well. They won’t turn a profit, so depreciation and things like when you bought and when you sold are pretty much irrelevant. It’s not stock: it’s a car. Plain and simple.

The fact that the 458 and the 488 may reach a similar price point by itself isn’t the end or the start of a discussion into which one is “best”. As we’ve seen in other discussions across the forum, prices and demand evolution over time for the 458 in Europe are quite different from the US for instance. In one continent, 488 owners are more inclined to ditch their rides in favor of the F8, in the other it may be the exact opposite.

Bottom line: they may reach parity for a while indeed. So what? Will someone who appreciates the virtues of a naturally aspirated V8 engine, the last of its kind ever by Ferrari, suddenly buy a 488 because of price alone? Will someone who couldn’t care less about how a car sucks air into the engine, suddenly go back and trade their 488 for a 458?

My answer to both scenarios is: not very likely at all. That’s why imvho, price parity between the two cars doesn’t say much about either, if anything.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

9650max, Minte, IloveGT and 1 other person like this.
  5. dann0

dann0 Karting

May 7, 2010
    Agree... for myself though... someone who is about to buy their first ferrari... it makes it a harder decision.

I've been through swings and roundabouts on this one... even thrown in the F12 into the mix... but I'm now back to my original dream car in the 458. Regardless that a 488 is newer and has free servicing left on it and can be had for the same price... the 458 is the one that pulls the heart strings!

6. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Something to consider. Excerpt from this article:
    “The dominance of ICE technology and loud powerful engines is rapidly coming to an end. The entire group (Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc.,) are cranking up production and trying to jam as many vehicles as possible into the channel for the global wealthy consumer base while this business cycle and the longest-running bull market of all time still have legs.

All the manufacturers recognize the “game” of exclusivity in this segment is over, and they are working furiously to drive profits while they can. The declining residual values of the supercars is a poorly-kept secret among enthusiasts, but apparently is completely unknown by the investor and analyst community. Asking prices remain absurdly high and Ferrari salesmen, who stand to lose their livelihood, are working hard, to keep up the façade that there is still substantial backlog and that used cars are holding up in value. It is a fantasy.”

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4325637-how-to-destroy-great-global-brand-and-cult-of-ferrari

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

7. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Funny
    Reading that article now
    Feels a little like reading fchat value threads but where one guy does a really long post on the brave new world of luxury/exotic sports car economics and how the game (it was always a game) is about to irreversibly change.
    The upside, in my view, is that we’re not discussing tulips and their rising prices. Ferrari continues (arguably) to make exciting cars and when you buy one you get to enjoy it. Preserved residual value? Mass-produced car as “Investment”? Yeah, those days are gone. But the cars are still fun and for some people that’s worth the price of admission.

Need4Spd likes this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    The article is a long winded rant, but most of us are coming to recogize both we and the cars we drive are dying breeds nearing the end of our cycle. The next generation will have a different viewpoint no doubt.

It's also true that the new pricing of these cars has become harder to justify since resale values plummeted a year or so back... with no signs of recovery and, an even bleaker future outlook. So fewer will be prepared to line up for repeat savage beatings which have now become the norm. The only way out for both manufacturer and buyer is for a significant reduction in new prices....not gonna happen.

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    He says he is a regular Fchatter ...ok come on out bro @Prati Management!;)

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

11. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Hounds!

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Careful with such comments. This forum is of the 1% percenters. Many billionaires here and they are the ones who make less fuss but could buy your company and turn it into a dump.
    In this forum people buy what they like and want.
    For now I can’t buy a la Ferrari but a pista, that’s tomorrow. A few more years of nice investments and I could buy two LAF.
    Again, don’t talk about users finances in this forum, talk about cars.
    Great forum and users that’s why I still come here.

The biggest impediment of most users in the forum it’s called wife not money. You could have the space, time to enjoy and all that, she says no and you do it like a good little boy or she devil gets angry!

... And you don’t want to piss of the Devil do you?!

AD211, Need4Spd and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  13. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Paulo, my friend, you have no idea how right you are!!!:D

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Need4Spd likes this.
  14. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I guess when wives start paying the bills they have a right to render an opinion.........otherwise no. Sorry. :)

MANDALAY, pizzadude and PTG1 like this.
  15. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Sounds like some of you boys need to take off the skirt and put on some pants - for your own sakes....that is if it isn't too late.

16. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    She doesn’t pay the bills, she’s the women I love and I don’t want to make her angry that’s all.
    Nothing is more amazing than having your wife saying a certain car is nice and we should buy it.

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Don't get all sentimental on us now Tekafixe! Grow a pair and get on with it! Don't want to get her angry? Too funny. She'll get angry about something sooner or later so why worry?

18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    A pair of boobs or balls?

PhilNotHill, MANDALAY and Shadowfax like this.
  19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Hmm - well that one depends upon how long the skirts been on already. Coulda been on for a while by sounds of it so yeah boobs probably...

IloveGT and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  20. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    I can never forget how it was when I bought the 991 Turbo S without her agreeing... she didn’t went with me to the dealer, she wouldn’t ride with me, we would argue it was a mess. With the Ferrari it was just amazing, we went there and just bought the car. Such a different experience that I will never test her again....

up4speed, Ash Patel and Need4Spd like this.
  21. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    How about interrupted production due to supply chain problems as a result of COVID 19?

22. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    If Coronavirus affects the supply chain of exotic cars to a meaningful extent, that means most other supply chains will be disrupted. In turn the world economy takes the biggest hit since 2008. Do you really think that would keep a used 458 from declining in price?

23. x z8

x z8 Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    IMO... Most sports car are fast enough today. Therefore, the ones that will be most desired in the future are the ones that are the most entertaining- that’s where the most demand will be. The fastest (compromised) turbo cars of today will be eclipsed shortly by electric cars- rendering their marginal performance advantage irrelevant. Regardless- buy what you like as its your money.

24. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    True, electric cars will maul every car in terms of performance in the future...

25. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Excluding track for road use it's not like the days gone by where performance made a difference and cars where "slow" I personally really don't need any more then 560 hp so the 720 in the F8 is enough for me. Basically cars are going to lose the emotion we all grew up with and yes they will be faster but, who cares A you can't use it and B when the passion is gone its just a tool. I'm going to buy as many of the last ice cars I can, this includes turbos and run them for as long as I can, I have no interest in electronic cars, they don't last and are no fun
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Bundy and MANDALAY like this.