Best Ferrari model for first time ferarri buyer - for around $85-90K | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best Ferrari model for first time ferarri buyer - for around $85-90K

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by supernut, Feb 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This. Start with an F430. Nominal depreciation at this point, still plenty fast and makes the right sounds. Plenty in the 85-100k range. Market a little soft right now so make offers.

pearsonhaus and Texas Forever like this.
  2. supernut

supernut Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    nasim khan
    Hi Ross, Thanks for your kind offer. I am in Houston, Sugarland area and would love to take you up on your offer - that would be great. Let me know how I may be able to inbox you with my contact details.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    just send me a pm

chenglo1 likes this.
  4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am an older guy too, and there is probably no one on this forum that has owned more cars (and taken apart) than I have. You want a Ferrari than you should get a Ferrari. If I have learned anything from being on here over 16 years it is that this not always about the better car, it is about fulfilling a desire that I may not be able to ever understand, but I have learned to respect. I would stay away from the 360/430's they are older cars and if you are not going to get a three pedal car the F1 will probably end up driving you crazy. They do not work well in auto mode and unless you like jerky shifts (yes they will do that especially when driving around town), which even those who have mastered the F1 gas on off ratio will get at times. My advise would be a Calf, it may not be the most sporty Ferrari but it should fill the need to own a Ferrari and it is ore usable than the other cars mentioned. Just a bit of advise, the Alfa 4C is an amazing drivers car, and you can buy a new Spider with warranty for what you want to spend. I loved my 4C coupe, and I am now looking for a spider to take apart. Best of luck to you, whichever way you choose to go.

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P
    430 spider or a California

6. mat.f430

mat.f430 Rookie

Feb 9, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Mat
    I've read that, with the introduction and availability of the Corvette C8 (baselines against the 458), values of our mid-engines V-8s will move downwards. I don't plan to get rid of mine, I love it, but I think that it makes sense that folks on the fence, will opt for a new C8 (with warranty) rather than a 360. If you find a car to love, buy it and keep it. If you are more concerned with value, waiting a bit might get you a 360/430/458 for less money.

7. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I would seek out a 360 manual spider. Right in your price range, and I don't think they will go any lower. Pretty low cost maintenance also.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    360 spider

Texas Forever and Gumart1 like this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  10. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    tfazio and BT like this.
  11. AlexBen

AlexBen Rookie

Dec 8, 2019
    In your situation I would have clearly gone with the California. Great undervalued and reliable Ferrari, with some decent comfort. In your budget you can pick a very nice model from 2011-2013

Caphill likes this.
  12. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but if you are looking for a Ferrari just to say you have a Ferrari and don't want to lose money, you are going to be thoroughly disappointed. These cars weren't exactly designed with longevity in mind. At least not in your price range. I've heard the newer ones are decently reliable, but are still depreciating in value. Things are going to break and wear out. Clutches and belt services on the 360 can be quite pricey depending on where you live. Where I live they quoted me at $10k for each on my 360.

13. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've had a bunch of models over the past 24 years. Currently have a 430 3 pedal coupe I bought new in 2005. It has been extremely reliable but is out of your range. If it were me, I would be looking at manual 360s or if you don't mind paddles, a 430. Both models seem to have bottomed depreciation wise. The 430 will likely cost less to maintain and, of course, is quite a bit quicker. I would try out all the models in your range. That's half the fun and you'll learn a lot from each car.

Dave

PS: I am 69.

14. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood

I, too, am older (77) and have a Morgan for those times when a only manual transmission will do. But, my back is the same age as the rest of me and pushing a clutch is best left to "sometime".

I also have a 575M with its older F1 shift system. It is clunky unless you pay attention and feather the throttle just right. But, so is a manual transmission.
    I find it engaging to do it right all the time- it adds to the Ferrari experience. I can't speak to the "auto" mode as I have never used it.

If you want to ride in a fast car that requires very little skill and is not very engaging and works in auto, buy a Porsche with PDK. I have a 991S and find it to be a spectacularly competent car to RIDE in, even in auto mode.

If you want to DRIVE, get a Ferrari. With or without 3 pedals.

15. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    This. You are correct in that it should be something you desire. You don't need one for sure. Like anything the older it is the more likely it will need work. Not always the case.

16. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    You are better off with a manual 360. Later years the better.
    California's will continue to depreciate. If something goes wrong it will be huge bucks to repair.
    360's deal with belt changes but they have bottomed out.
    A manual 360 will climb in value.

As a car nut I dont have much appreciation for a California. Sounds bad but thats the way it is.
    A manual 360 will always be appreciated by the Ferrari cognoscenti.
    If you never plan to meet them or its not important then a California has a bigger impact with the general public and much more modern.

IMO resale value is determined by "The cognoscenti".
    How much do you REALLY weigh resale value over performance, luxury and style ?
    A Cali looks modern and waxes a manual 360 in performance.
    Just as it waxes a 20 million dollar GTO.

I'm 62 and still prefer the "racer" Ferraris.
    Perhaps when I get older a front engined "luxury" Ferrari is in the cards.

Caphill likes this.
  17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    There is no low maintenance Ferrari

G. Pepper and EastMemphis like this.
  18. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    F430 F1 well sorted with annual maintenances. You will never look back. These will be 100K to 110K. The comment above regarding trouble with the F1 tranny in the F430 is not common. We often hear complaints when something doesnt go our way. Think of all the happy owners with ayou 430 f1 that have trouble free experiences. When i bought mine, i had choice between 6sp stick vs F1. After driving both, it was a no brainer to buy the F1. Only drawback in hind sight is that the deprecistion hit me hard while that 6sp shot up! Knock on wood but after 7 years of owning my 2006 F430 F1, shes been solid. Its a honeymoon each time i get behind the wheel. PM me if you have more questions.

psych0hans likes this.
  19. Federal man

Federal man Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2018
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Mark Higinbotham
    The good news is, there is no wrong decision here. The only wrong decision would be to NOT own a Ferrari at least once in your lifetime. I recently went through this same process with all these same models. I ended up with a 2014 California with HS package and couldn't be more pleased. It has the 7 year maintenance plan so I know it has been maintained plus I got the extra 2 year New Power Warranty for $3600 for peace of mind. I know it will depreciate but hey, if you don't spend your money, your kids will. :) If you decide to go 430 let me know as a friend has a very well maintained car he will be selling soon to move into a California-T. As has already been shared...drive them ALL and buy the one that stirs your heart.

20. smggms

smggms Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Matt Godwin
    Tell us more about it , what color mileages how much did u pay,,
    That’s the best California you can buy , 2014 with special handling package Led on steering ..a must
    It’s very fast and excellent exhaust note
    I have one red on black 10k miles

Federal man likes this.
  21. supernut

supernut Rookie

Feb 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    nasim khan
    Wow Federal man - " The only wrong decision would be to NOT own a Ferrari at least once in your lifetime".

One of the greatest endorsements I have ever heard.

I am looking at a 2005 430 coupe automanual with around 15k miles. l would be grateful if the 430 lovers/log time owners could provide me a list of questions/maintenance items that I should be looking for and asking the owner.

Regards,

NK

Federal man likes this.
  22. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Look through all the maintenance records and take notes. Were the exhaust manifolds replaced? I believe this was a factory recall and most F430s were replaced. Also, look at the exhaust brackets. These are attached to rhe rear tailpipes and transmission. The welding spots on these brackets are prone to cracking. The fix is easy and affordable in Ferrari dollars. Either install Capristo exhaust mount or get Fabspeed brackets.

Check records for transmission issues like not shifting when pull lever, car is in gear but goes into neutral whenever it wants. These are signs of possible expensive repairs. Make sure these are resolved and take note of what was done.

Get a 3rd party inspection from a shop that knows F430s. They will tell you a lot about tue car. Check paint thickness to see if any repaint has been done. Check panel gaps to make sure all are uniform. Check inside wheel wells. A tracked car may show more wear on these panels from road spray hitting rhem. Non tracked car most likely be smooth. You can verify with owner. Tracked vs non travked may not matter to you. I prefered a car that wasnt tracked. I must miss the chase! Good luck!

23. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I'd rather have a manual 360 than an F1 430. Manual 430's exist, but not at your price point.

550's are awesome - all manuals - if you want the V12 music.

In the end, just get the one that does it for you. For me it was a 360 manual.

24. psych0hans

psych0hans Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Bombay, India
    Check out this link. Not sure if you’ve seen his YouTube channel, but he has some amazing videos of his F430 ownership experience and he has a buyers guide which he sells on his site as well.

https://www.normalguysupercar.com/product/ferrari-f430-buyers-guide/

I’m hoping to be in your shoes in the next year or two, so have been doing extensive research on this very question. I’ll probably also land up getting a high mileage F430, but it might also be a 355/360, depending on my budget then.

Good luck!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    If I have learned anything from being on these forums, it is the dream of ownership can sometimes be more exciting than the reality of ownership. I will not go into what I am, but I have never dreamt of owning anything. The 550 is a nice car for its time (I had a 575M), but the clutch is not one of my favorites, and yes the hearing the row of the gears is nice, but there are a lot better gearboxes than a manual Ferrari. Remember I am unaffected by badges (I'd rather drive a manual Miata than a 360, and I owned one as well as a 430 gearshift), and I do understand how emotion is factored into normal people decisions to buy a car (I just commented on something similar about a Jeep wrangler), though when the emotion dissipates (which does happen), are you going to own a car that you really like or want to drive.

EnzoItaly and psych0hans like this.