How lenient or resistant was the dealership when negotiating the price of your Ferrari? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How lenient or resistant was the dealership when negotiating the price of your Ferrari?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458LOVE, Feb 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    There’s a balance point somewhere. There are incredibly good deals on pre owned cars, low miles, one owner, same as new at a fraction of the price, official Ferrari warranty, etc.

But, and it’s a very big but... Ferraris have so many different equipment combination of colours and materials these days, it’s almost impossible to find your dream Ferrari 100% if someone else configured it and not you. And I for one, can’t live with any car that is missing something I really like.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

MANDALAY and Thecadster like this.
  2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    From Lyon. LOL.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

3. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I will add another factor for Ferrari to consider. If they plan to utilize a 4 year life cycle for new cars then they better offer a compelling product
    After going from a 458 to a 488 I had no desire to upgrade to the F8 due to what I considered a minor update on the 488. Add in the market depression for used cars as stated above and you have a potential problem going forward

4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You’re not alone in your thoughts.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4325637-how-to-destroy-great-global-brand-and-cult-of-ferrari

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the F8 was designed to sell to 458 owners and attract newbies. They knew most 488 owners would not trade in for it. As for price increases, I still believe that half their customer base doesn’t even think about the price when a new model comes out (I know so many people that own fleets of Ferrari’s). Combine that with the fact that every dealer now has to buy a demo for all models, not real hard to sell the rest to those of us that still balance a checkbook (at least as long as this economy keeps going)

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Definitely realistic. I would start below 200K and end at 200.

Wikdstrate likes this.
  7. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

This happened with the 458 in Australia. We saw our dollar go through the roof where as the rest of the world went recession. They put a lot of extras you would normally pay for as standard.

8. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
  9. tbuff

tbuff Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    I agree with alot of what he is saying with regards to volume. McLaren entering the game and Porsche cranking out GT cars has really changed things in the past 3 years. However the Tesla angle is akin to saying Rolex should be worried because Timex is coming with a more accurate watch. I know we are headed to a future with electric cars but it isn't here yet and nobody cross shops an F8 and a Tesla.

10. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    The interesting comparison to watch is when the Tesla Roadster 2.0 hits the market.

11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    no real car enthusiast will care. It will open the market to people who would otherwise not consider a Ferrari/Porsche/lambo

12. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree 1000%

13. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You may be right. If true, a frightening thought that people who would never consider a performance car may be driving a car that can do 0-60 in under 3.0 seconds.

tekaefixe and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  14. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Deals are meant to be had on any car.

boobernackle likes this.
  15. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    #40 BJK, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    The dealer's asking price on a used car is always going to have 10-20+% cushion for him. He knows what he paid for the car and will not take a loss on it.
    He also knows that buyers want a 'deal'. No problem, it's already baked into his asking price. He starts high, you offer low, you meet in the middle exactly where he planned. Both parties are satisfied.
    It's up to the buyer to do his homework and check comparables.

16. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I agree with this! My 488 is staying right where it is!!!

17. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    You must have meant Richard Mille should be worried if Rolex is more accurate. Rolex is NOT Ferrari and Tesla is much better than Timex. Grand Seiko maybe.

18. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Really hard to figure what kind of deal I got? The car I bought was purchased in Aug 2019 and traded in Oct 2019, had 247 miles on it when I bought. I got a little over 20% off the $347,772 sticker and they gave me more in trade in than others were offering. So it seems pretty good but where it gets confusing to me is the $36k in "other options"? I asked the dealership what I'm getting for that and I never got a straight answer.

19. BCHOW

BCHOW Rookie

Jun 30, 2005
    Burlingame, CA
    Full Name:
    Benson
    $70k off for an almost un-used car plus top price trade in. Very well done

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

scott61 likes this.
  20. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    ^ no kidding

21. Xrayv8

Xrayv8 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 18, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Xray
    Your paint code says "extracampionaro" so I would venture and say the Other options will include the extra price of the special paint you have. Your Ferrari dealer or any Ferrari dealer for that fact can plug your vin in and tell you what the other options are after seeing the build sheet.

scott61 likes this.
  22. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Car also had full front Expel on it. So yea it seems like a good deal if that $36k in other options gave me anything that helps increase the value? Guessing since no paint charge on sticker it's in that $36k?

23. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Good job! The 36k options gotta be somewhere. Just don't think about it. :)

scott61 likes this.
  24. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #49 boobernackle, Mar 4, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
    $100-120K off at least would've been my starting point... reason is a super high MSRP GTB yields nothing in resale past the $290K mark, especially given the replacement model already announced and being delivered.

For example, the exterior CF items yield pennies on the dollar during resale. In contrast, the CF steering wheel is a must have and will yield almost all of it back on resale (similar to CF seats), along with a shorter sales timeline. Whoever the prior owner was probably bought the car, instantly lost $100K on it to get a Pista, it was the "flavor of the month" car once the Lusso game faded fast.

Did I mention Coronavirus and how it killed demand for these in many parts of the globe, China included? Allocations are to be had people!

If you want to know all the extra options, PM me detailed interior and exterior photos of the car and I will list almost all of them.

At the end of the day, what matters is if YOU are happy with the deal.

IloveGT and scott61 like this.
  25. docster

docster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 14, 2004
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    David
    You might also look at the plate inside the "frunk," which I think has a more extensive listing of the options than can fit on the window sticker. Doesn't show price, but may break out some or all of the items that show as "Other Options" on the sticker.

scott61 likes this.