Spanner Nut for Power Steering pump bracket | FerrariChat

Spanner Nut for Power Steering pump bracket

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Choptop400, Feb 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    I have been working on replacing all the hoses and belts on my 400I engine. Everything went well until the very end. One of the studs that holds the power steering pump bracket pulled out of the engine block. I have attempted to figure out the best fix. It seem that a Heli coil is the best solution. Now the problem and the question. What is the size of the spanner nut (how is it even measured) and where can you possible get a socket or wrench to remove this nut? Picture below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    This can be released with a hook spanner of appropriate size. See picture. To measure it just measure outside diameter.
    Christopher

3. 15765

15765 Formula Junior

May 14, 2012
    Las Vegas NV
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I take a 3/8 drive socket with the outside size matching the outside of the ring nut and then take a die grinder and cut out the excess material between the protrusions leaving 4 equally spaced protrusions to fit into the notches of the ring nut. I have to do it quite often because Ferrari loves the things, I think they are used to make you take it to a dealer. You will find a bunch of them in various sizes if you ever have to take a Ferrari transmission apart.

Chuck

4. Al Campbell

Al Campbell Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2013
    Australia
  5. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Chris TC; Have you used the spanner wrench to remove this nut? I believe, I can get to the spanner nut with little difficulty using this wrench. The spanner wrench can be ordered over here for $15 amazon. If no one has used this wrench with success to remove this part than I will just order Hill engineering socket.

6. christc

christc Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2013
    Germany
    These type of spanners are made for this type of nuts. There are different styles. I would use one with a ‘sharp’ hook like on the left. If it is the right size and the nut can be reached easily it works perfectly. For sure a special socket is the luxury version but it either takes time to fabricate or money to buy. I would do this for hard to reach nuts or for those which have to be tightened with a special torque rating.

Christopher

7. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Christc; Amazon Prime to the rescue. With luck, will have Sunday and may have the F car fired up for Monday.

8. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #8 It's Ross, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    I don't see room to swing a wrench like those suggested. Has anyone used these for this?
    Me? I'd be buying sockets or improvise. The "rustic" mechanic in me might try turning it out with a hammer and punch.
    Good luck, let us know what works.

9. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    I agree with you. However, I have everything off the front of the engine for a once in a 50 year replace every wearable (hoses, belts, radiator etc;). So room is not necessary Image Unavailable, Please Login an issue as angle is. I also do not plan to do this again anytime soon.

10. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I bought the socket style for the steering column center nut as these other alternates will not work since it is inside column and should be torqued when replaced. Hill is a good resource for these items.
    Ken

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Its called a ring nut and you measure the OD of the circle in mm. A socket from hill engineering such as an RNT 24 will be for a 24mm OD ring nut. Not a cheap tool and I have several, no way around it if you want to remove and install them without marking them up.