What happened to the suppposed 25 versions of the 512S produced ? | Page 27 | FerrariChat

What happened to the suppposed 25 versions of the 512S produced ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Kds, Jan 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  2. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  3. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    of2worlds, 375+, turbo-joe and 4 others like this.
  5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #656 GIOTTO, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
  6. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    of2worlds, turbo-joe and colombo2cam like this.
  7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  8. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
  9. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  10. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Pretty sure they modded #1040 as follows

- Spool type diff rather than LSD
    - Suspension and chassis changes to induce oversteer
    - Entirely new central bodywork
    - Traco modded engine giving 630bhp
    - New stronger springs to handle the extra loads
    - Dry-break fuel filler system (halved the time spent refuelling at each pitstop)
    - Hidden auxiliary fuel tank (see below)

Steve Griswold noted on his often hilarious and fascinating site https://www.internationalclassic.com/en/ferrari-512-m-sunoco/

"The results of this were that the car had no limited slip differential fitted, but a spool like the Porsche 935. This made the car a real handful because it had to literally be thrown into a corner, otherwise, it went straight. The lap times bore out the fact that it was quicker than the factory 512 Ms, not a fact that endeared Penske to Enzo Ferrari. Mark Donohue and David Hobbs were the drivers."
    AND
    "What we found during the restoration was very interesting. Penske had hidden a small auxiliary gas tank, which held just enough to get the car back to the pits if it ran out of gas. This contravened the Le Mans regulations, but nobody found it. Roger was always looking for the unfair advantage and with this, he had clearly found it!"

Another fantastic article is this from Historic Motorsports which details many of the differences and the hilarious process of buying and preparing the ultimate 512M. https://historicmotorsportcentral.com/2015/12/03/theunfairadvantage-the-penske-ferrari-512m/

of2worlds, readplays and Nembo1777 like this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    1040 (Sunoco):
    Converted in the USA to M configuration. Berry Plasti-Glass in Los Angeles/CA produced an entire new light weight body and the motor plus a spare one acquired from the factory were prepared by Traco Engineering (Jim Travers and Frank Coon) in Culver City/CA. Car was then painted darkblue and yellow in Sunoco (Sun Oil Co.) sponsoring colors.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, turbo-joe and readplays like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    HEROS J, of2worlds, turbo-joe and 2 others like this.
  13. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    How many cars were built up by John Hajduk from the Mueller parts and are those cars properly identified as recreations/continuations?

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #665 Marcel Massini, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Excellent question, thank you.
    The first question is: What is the correct definition of "properly identified as recreations/continuations"?.

Hajduk built two 512's with entirely new frames and used numbers "1008" and "1046" for them. Hajduk built them for Rob Dyson. Both cars were refused by the factory (20 January 2005).

1008 is the car in which Pedro Rodriguez was killed at the Norisring 11 July 1971. At the time of that crash 1008 belonged to Roland Kistler (carpet dealer, Rolanaflor sponsoring) in Switzerland (not Müller).
    After the Rodriguez crash Kistler sold the wreck 5 October 1971 to Herbert Müller, who paid Swiss Francs CHF 34'251.10 for it. The wreck of 1008 was never rebuilt. It was dismantled and bits and pieces used for other 512's. Müller retained the chassis number tag and had it chrome plated.
    In 1978 when Müller sold 1046 to Germany (Grohe) he used paperwork and identity of 1016 (instead of 1046) and kept the 1046 chassis tag.
    Herbert Müller died in a Porsche 908/4 at the Nürburgring on 24 May 1981.

On the 26th March 1987 Herbert Müller's son Daniel Müller sold the two tags (1008 and 1046) ONLY (just the small metal pieces, NO frames or bits and pieces etc) to T. B. in USA, who paid Swiss Francs 150'000 at the time.
    I have the bill of sale and receipt for this transaction.

The two Hajduk built cars are not using original Ferrari frames.

Marcel Massini

15. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thanks as always Marcel!

16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    So many cars are restored to race configuration as started at a specific race... wouldn´t it be fun to restore this car to the finish line configuration and show it in Pebble? :D

17. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The Duct Tape Special:eek:

readplays and Marcel Massini like this.
  18. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    I've already thought the same thing. But putting the duct tape exactly in the same places wouldn't be easy. Maybe one day...

of2worlds and readplays like this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    I've saying the same thing about many vintage race cars before, including some '60s(?) LeMans(?) winning(?) Ferrari that had a huge opening cut to its front panel for better cooling, allowing the car not only finish, but also win, IIRC.
    Closest/only thing to this concept (=historical accuracy) I've seen was a '90s(s)Corvette(?) in a certain collection of LeMans winners and it was stated having never even been washed since the race. Super, super cool and true conservation/representation of history.
    How many race winning vintage cars, including Ferraris, are now merely A. Lincoln's axes ?

readplays likes this.
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Very attractive. NOT!!!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, Edward 96GTS and readplays like this.
  21. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  22. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    BJK, tomkatf, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  23. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    At the end of college I teamed up with a local collector- his truck and trailer, my labor- and we put together an Indy car class for the Concours that year in Cincinnati (these days at Ault Park, back then at Cincinnati Country Day School in Indian Hill).
    That's how I found myself at Hajduk's in Noblesville, IN to pick up a Lesovsky roadster belonging to Tom Mittler.
    John Hajduk (Sr.) was my host that afternoon and was quite gracious in showing me around and explaining the projects in the shop. I remember a gentleman fabricator from New Zealand at work on the 512's as John explained the origin and intent of the project underway.
    If memory serves, they had a 'real' 512 chassis in the shop at the time that they were using for templating, accuracy, etc.

Marcel, IIRC, Prancing Horse magazine did a feature on Hajduk's efforts on these two replica chassis (?).
    Anyhow, thanks for the reminder of that adventure. I'm grateful to John Sr. (RIP) for such a great and memorable visit.

24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes, there were one or two articles in PH about the Hajduk creations.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and readplays like this.