Brake pad options for 488 | FerrariChat

Brake pad options for 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Anindith Reddy, Jan 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    I just have a couple thousand KMs on my 488 and my brake pads are pretty worn down. Most of my cars life is hard driving and lots of track driving. I dont care about brake squeal or dust just performance and longevity.

Are there any other options out (apart from the OEM) there in terms of brake pads for the 488?

purexotic likes this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I'd be cautious because the pads are adapted to the CCM brakes.
    When driving on track it's normal to kill the pads very rapidly; it seems the 488 is less demanding on the discs which given their price is the most important.

purexotic likes this.
  3. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Just curios what mode you ran the car in. I'm hopeful CT Off will reduce the wear on mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

purexotic likes this.
  4. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    CT Off should help reduce wear, but you lose the safety net. If you are driving smoothly, you may not realize much wear savings. I use Race mode on track.

For pads, you might consider RacingBrake. https://www.racingbrake.com/default.asp

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Also use Race on track; although it's said that the electronics would use the rear pads because it brakes to help turning, front pads actually wear twice as fast (because with hard braking the weight is transferred to the front).

Need4Spd likes this.
  6. BlueCorsa

BlueCorsa Rookie

Jan 15, 2018
    Full Name:
    Blue Corsa
    Pagid RSC1 works well as a stock pad alternative. It performs better at less than 1/3 the cost.

Need4Spd likes this.
  7. Anindith Reddy

Apr 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Anindith Reddy
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I used CT off most of the time and esc off the rest .

Thanks for this now wondering weather is hsould go with RSC1 or RSC2

Llenroc likes this.
  8. Richcruss

Richcruss Rookie

Feb 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard russell
    Hi how did you get on with front pads. ? I have just replaced mine and have the same issue.

9. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Any idea how hard those are on rotors? I’m inclined to use OEM absent knowing these are at least as rotor friendly.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

10. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Need new pads too after only a couple of track days. Can't keep on doing this...what to do??

11. thebigo

thebigo Karting

Feb 10, 2019
    Don't use "Race" mode or lower on the Manettino, since the traction control is working hard on the brakes. But be aware that you are on your own, whenever you are leaving the traction circle.

12. andrewecd

andrewecd Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2006
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I don't. .i just brake very hard. It's not the stability applying the brakes. I learned all about that in the 430 days when rear pads wore out in race mode!!
    I guess this is why they switch to steel rotors in the race cars...just too expensive to keep maintaining ccb's??

thebigo likes this.
  13. KevinH

KevinH Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Lebanon, OH (Naples, FL, in the winter)
    Full Name:
    Kevin Higgins
    Having just bought a 488 Spider and tracked it once, I know I'm going to be doing that more than I originally thought. So fun! So I'll probably put Girodisc iron rotors on it and can then swap the carbon ceramic rotors, which are still in good shape, back on if/when I sell the car.

With my previous, heavy-use track cars (multiple Porsches, a Vette C6Z, and a Viper ACR-X) I swapped the stock rotors out for Girodisc rotors (an easy, direct, stock replacement), and ran Ferodo 1.11 or PFC pads (which fit in the stock calipers). They gave great track performance, decent wear even under heavy use, and generally didn't squeak on the road if properly bedded in. The small difference in unsprung weight at the wheels was never even noticeable to me, even with the 2008 GT2's stock suspension (not particularly stiff springs).

In fact, it was almost mandatory for me. I found early on that tuned up 997 GT2's PCCBs would begin to fade terribly at the track during long sessions once I switched from street tires to running Hoosiers. I never had any fade at all with the Girodisc rotors and Ferodo pads whether I ran street or competition tires.

14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I’m curious to see and meet someone that is running Pagid RSC1 pads on Ferrari CCW rotors. I want to be sure these will not tear up the Ferrari CCM rotor. I personally do not want to swap to GiroDisc steel rotors as I won’t be doing that much tracking. My plan is to go instruct for a day and just do a session before lunch and after, finish up instructing and go home. Plan is to do this 2-3 times a year, that’s it.

15. KevinH

KevinH Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kevin Higgins
    I have to chip in again here and update my position: While I've had great experience with Girodisc rotors on other marks, and they do make them for the Ferrari 488, I've been having a helluva time trying to find performance pads that'll just drop into the OEM calipers and work with those rotors. To save weight, the Girodisc rotor design requires pads with a reduced/trimmed canulus. With other marques that I've converted, there was apparently enough demand that these were readily available (or there was an existing pad model that would work). That doesn't seem to be the case for the 488 (although other Ferrari models may not have that problem). So that swap out requires developing a contact that'll modify some other pads to fit into the OEM calipers to work with the Girodisc floating rotors.

So it looks like I'm back to contemplating those Pagid RSC1 pads (which Pagid indicates are specifically for the carbon ceramic rotors), and hoping I can find some more reasonably priced rotors when those need to be replaced. In my experience with other track cars, after 2-3 sets of pads, it's usually time for the rotor replacement with the next set of pads. Hopefully there'll be some good aftermarket/3rd-party ceramic rotors available for the 488 by the time I need some.

Sure, using Ferrari parts is a sound option (and the only option for some), but it makes track days feel stupidly expensive to me. <-- the weird value conflict created when the cost of consumables is too inflated by some marques. :-/

mdrums likes this.
  16. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Kevin I am in the same situation as you. I think the Pagid RSC1 is the only real drive in street drive on track pad option. The RSC2 I am told works too and lasts longer on track but you give up street brake performance. If a pad lasts longer then the rotor wears quicker so I'd use RSC1 pads 1st.

Here in the USA it seems like the only aftermarket carbon ceramic style rotor is Surface Transforms. These rotors are being used by 991 Porsche GT3/RS guys that I personally know and run track days with. There has been zero issues with ST rotors and they last longer than the OEM PCCB Porsche rotor. The ST rotors are really good and run about $12k USD for a set on a GT3

So far ST Rotors does not make rotors for 488 any model. They have 430 and 458 versions. Our 488gtb and Pista rotor size is 400mm front and 360mm rear.

Ferrari stock rotors are CCM which is a disc of core ceramic material reinforced with carbon fiber. CCM discs are not covered by additional ceramic material. Ferrari, Aston, Corvette, Nissan, Jaguar use CCM rotors.

CCB rotors are a ceramic core, reinforced with carbon fiber and then covered by additional ceramic friction layers. Porsche Lambo Bugatti, AMG...basically the Germans use this formula.

You can definitely see the difference in CCB and CCM rotors.

I really like my 488 gtb but driving around on the street is boring. I really want to get my ya ta's out and do 2-3 track days a year with it. With my Porsche GT3 this was no problem. Car is really built for it, tons of set up info, Porsche even has a driving on racing circuit section in the owners manual. I've only had my 488 for 3 month but I am starting to miss the Porsche GT3. Ugh!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    With 2-3 track days a year you may have your discs lasting a few years - the 488 is not as demanding on the brakes as the heavier V12 Ferrari (and/or the durability of the discs has been improved a lot since the 599). The OEM pads are not lasting much though (this may be what helps the discs to survive).

KevinH likes this.
  18. KevinH

KevinH Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kevin Higgins
    Heh... I feel your pain. All my Porsches have been well-nigh bulletproof on the track, needing only consumables to be an absolute blast. and the large market of folks who actually track their Porsches regularly ensures you can always find aftermarket performance parts as good or better than OEM at greatly reduced prices and easy availability. So I was THIS ( --> <--) close to pulling the trigger on a near-new 911 GT3RS for track outings (and resisting the GT2RS I really want to track!) when my wife said she liked the Ferrari better. (Her words: "Instead of getting a sixth or seventh 911 variant, you should get something you've haven't had before...and which looks better with the top down.") I did want to include her in my occasional drives, so... :-/

On the plus side, because she really likes the Ferrari, I actually convinced her to drive it solo for a light session on Daytona International Speedway during the recent FCA track day there, AND she rode shotgun with me driving, hitting speeds over 170mph -- and she had a blast, so there's hope she'll catch the bug (which of course makes consumable costs slightly less of an issue ;-) )!

mdrums likes this.
  19. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    One of the guys I track with has tracked his pista over 10,000 miles. He has giro iron rotors. Giro sells a brake pad with their rotor.

fwiw; they didn't like the performance with OEM or iron rotors. They fixed the "performance" part by going with a 19 wheel on the fronts.

the pads/rotor set up they have last a very long time and is very cost effective.

KevinH likes this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    So there is at least one Pista with more than 10,000 miles - that's nice to know :)

21. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    I track with them quite often - btw; it is 10,000 track miles. His overall mileage is 14k.

PTG1 likes this.
  22. KevinH

KevinH Rookie

Feb 19, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kevin Higgins
    That's great news -- and the way I bought matched sets for my 997 GT2 and Viper. But on the Girodisc site now, for the 488, they're not listing any pads. And in the rotor description, they say, "The necessary pad shape is a custom shape that we have had made by both Cobalt, GLoc and Endless, give us a call or email with **** you intend to do with the vehicle and we can get you set up with the appropriate set of pads." I originally interpreted that, in conjunction with no pads listed under the 488, to mean we'd have to contact those companies and get pads custom made when replacements were required -- a bit of a hassle with uncertain availability when it was needed. But maybe that's not the case! I'll reach out to Girodisc and see what they say (and report back).

Love that idea -- reduced rotational inertia (especially with a lighter rim), a slightly improved rake angle without screwing with the suspension, AND cheaper tires! :) (and, yes, I understand how silly it might seem to some to buy a $300K car and then self-impose a challenge to minimize nickel-and-dime consumable costs!)

23. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    the pista guy that I referenced... they figured out that the kit comes with the endless pads from Giro.

I have giro on 720s with cobalt pads. The guys who support me get it directly from Giro.

These are the guys I track with quite often (they track 5 times per month and testing all types of tires, wheels, rotors, pads). A good resource if you want to ask them any questions (they might take some time to answer as they are in the "business" and might not be so helpful answering random people's questions but worth a shot).

https://www.instagram.com/p/By3H8ErhmaE/

mdrums likes this.
  24. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I didn’t know KevinE got a pista!

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

25. exoticcardreamer

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Different guy that I'm talking about. He's from Los Angeles. I track with them at Laguna and Buttonwillow.