The F50 Thread | Page 85 | FerrariChat

The F50 Thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by amenasce, Dec 28, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    REALZEUS, Camelot and AtSomePoint like this.
  2. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Modulo_B, YellowF50, REALZEUS and 3 others like this.
  3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

For sale at Copley?

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Saw it there. It was mint. Beautiful.

5. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's 103114 the Frankfurt Motor Show F50, I don't think it has much more than 3,400 miles, Stu must be making the morning bagel run, I haven't spoken to him very recently so I'm not sure if it's still available.

That's what we strive for, however, the reality is these cars are decades old, so when Jim purchased it 104262 was a diamond in the rough, he took it and gave it the TLC it deserved and the result is what everyone saw, I think buyers and owners of these cars ought to adopt this perspective.

Camlet1 and Marcel Massini like this.
  6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    104262:
    The 76th built.
    Assembly #21504.
    Engine #41203.
    Gearbox #195.
    Body #35.
    17 November 1995 build start.
    23 February 1996 completed.
    New to Mr. C. in CT.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and joe sackey like this.
  7. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Thank you Marcel.

I should mention that this is also one of a handful of Ferrari Supercars we have sold from the first owner after a long tenure with them.

8. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I had seen this car a few times over the years at shows in CT. Can you tell me if it took much to bring it to Platinum award-winning condition after sold by Mr. C? Just a deep detail, or more? Thanks

9. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    The car received a much more comprehensive reconditioning prior to Cavallino. For instance, the interior was essentially stripped down to the tub with many items and surfaces refinished; the engine was fully serviced, again with many new parts or resurfacing.

This was not a bucket-and-a-garden-hose quick wash ;)

ChipG and BJK like this.
  10. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    wow, ok, so the car was in 'good' but not 'great' condition? all age related? was the motor pulled?

So, car is bought for x , then add 'comprehensive reconditioning' y . Then wins a Cavallino Platinum award. The car must now be worth much more than x + y , agree?

ChipG likes this.
  11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    The car was gorgeous. “Good” cars don’t take home platinum from Cavallino.

12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    I'm referring to prior to it's 'comprehensive reconditioning'.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    As described by Prancing 12, to win Platinum, the car has to essentially be perfect, which means turning back the clock 25 years.

Correct.

Agreed.

The car was in very good totally original condition when we sold it to the current owner, he then took it to Platinum level.

Exactly correct.

BJK likes this.
  14. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    #2116 joe sackey, Feb 25, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    When we sold 104262, it was a great example, now it's even better and exists at the next level, it performs like one should and looks like a new F50, I think the custodians of these cars have every opportunity to take them to the next level if they are so inclined, meanwhile as with most F50s you can see the weave everywhere

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds, AtSomePoint and BJK like this.
  15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Got it.

16. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    As Joe and others have said, no matter how original and how nice a car is, there is still a large gap between "original" and "Platinum winning" condition...

I would hesitate to make such a simple calculation on the current value as to say X + Y = >XY... For one, you need to account for time, both since the car was acquired and also the time (and effort) the owner spent to carry out the reconditioning - it's not just simple dollars and cents. Secondly, it's hard to peg a specific market value to something like an F50, as the market is fluid and always changing; any individual car can have a different value at any given time, to any given buyer.

joe sackey and BJK like this.
  17. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    can you give just a ball park figure for this particular 'reconditioning'? $100k+, $200k+ ........

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Well said.

I know what the owner spent, but he's a private man and I'm not willing to discuss expense numbers on a public forum, suffice to say that he does whatever it takes on a cost-no-object basis to ensure that his cars (288 GTO, F40, F50 ) are as perfect as he can make them, that's what makes him happy.

Modulo_B and BJK like this.
  19. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Modulo_B, of2worlds and Boomhauer like this.
  20. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    NürScud, Boomhauer and AtSomePoint like this.
  21. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    this thread is exactly why I'm afraid to buy a F50

22. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    IMO this thread is actually an excellent model resource and appreciation thread, and all the people participating are enthusiasts who are here for positive reasons, to be helpful regardless of their level of knowledge or their respective involvement with the cars.

As a result it has useful historical, technical, production and market material along with excellent images, perhaps one of the better threads on this site, in fact I can tell you it has been useful to more than one F50 buyer in recent times.

There are not many threads left these days where you see much more than reposted images without any caption at all, whereas in this thread an F50 enthusiast can glean specific data often recorded with helpful images, like this original F50 tire & paint information.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modulo_B, BJK, ChipG and 2 others like this.
  23. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    I agree, certainly one of the better threads on FerrariChat, I always check it on a daily basis.
    The contributions are knowledgeable and helpful, expertise and information is shared, the questions are sensible and encourage explanation and further sharing of knowledge, very few if any armchair warriors.

BJK, of2worlds and joe sackey like this.