308 GTB SN34389 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

308 GTB SN34389

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferrari 360 CS, Nov 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The seats had to be cut out because the bolts were completely stripped. Apparently the prior owner at some point made an attempt to remove the seats...

Dane likes this.
  2. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    So how is it going? Any news? Need some help?

Ferrari 360 CS likes this.
  3. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Progress has been a bit slower, initially to get the project going the restorer worked on the car full time for a few weeks. I have asked via the dealer the factory for clarification as to what colour the car was when it left the factory.

I am now told it was Nero with beige interior. I cannot fathom this because I cannot find one piece of evidence to confirm that the car was in fact Nero...ideally the idea is to take the car back to as it was when it left the factory but what I find odd is there is just no trace of Nero at all and we don't think the car has ever been restored before....and would be very surprised if it had based on the components which has come off the car.

What chance the factory made a mistake?

4. marklintott

marklintott Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    Taipei Taiwan / Somerset UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Lintott
    Any idea what the story is with this bit of new-ish looking patch repair on the rear wheel arch? Looks like someone has brazed in a piece - to rusty metal !

Great thread and great that you clearly have the means and ability to complete the project. Good luck!

Mark

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    If their paperwork is anything like their build quality... Can you post a pic of the chassis number on the rear frame? Might be signs of a number change. My first Ferrari ride was a Daytona in RSA in about '76 (owner was Haywood from Caravans Intl.) Perhaps one of the Daytonas pictured?

6. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    That would be the worst case scenario. But I don't think, that this is the case, since he told us the engine number of his third last GTB. And it's 1722 , while my car #34379 (the fourth to last GTB) wears engine no. 1719.

Best from Germany
    Martin

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    I forgot about this thread: excellent, good luck! If you want to complete the work, be prepred to a pay a big figure, but at the end there will be a new car. Are you sure the car was black? You should find some black somewhere, removing the red color: I don't see any blck paint layer on the left front fender, its first paint was red

ciao

8. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Must be a transcription error— so you can choose to keep it in its original red or its original black, both will be easy to defend :)

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I have been following your contributions to F chat for a long time, always enjoy them.

Its not going to be a cheap restoration, I maintain the car was never black as there was no evidence to suggest this, even around the rear window which would not an item most people would take out for a re spray. I am going to go and scrap some paint off gently because I maintain its improbable that the car ever had a bare metal re spray.

Quite a lot more pictures to follow, the next stage will be a strip down of the engine. I am hoping there isn't too much corrosion and the heads come off fairly easily. The good news was the gearbox oil which came out was clear, again surprising.

10. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I will post a picture of the chassis number on the frame soon. I really suspect the factory has made an error here which is possible seeing as we are in the seemingly murky world of post production 308's.

As for the Daytona, that might indeed be the car which the 308 will park next to...eventually. Was it a Plexiglass Daytona?

11. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    This disaster was the prior owner attempting some DIY rust repair....unfortunately he also went to work on the rear engine lid and a few other spots, with similar results. Essentially the car sat under a plastic cover for over a decade...outside.

12. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Thank you. I saw, restoring my last but one, that the post production cars are a bit "special" also in the build sheet: but at Classiche they do have everything, they just have to look very well inside your car files. My car had to be red, but then it was painted in blue: Ferrari had all this iside my car file, so Ferrari has the same for your one. Such a big rebuild deserves (in my opinion) to check carefully which color the car had and so on: you have time, do it again and pay for the official build sheet (maybe you already did it, sorry).

And the official build sheet is correct, Always (I mean they have the correct one, but they can send you the wrong one, of course)

Ciao

13. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very interesting, I have requested the official build sheet from Ferrari but from the above it would imply things got "interesting" with these post production cars.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #65 Martin308GTB, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Sorry, but whoever of some self-proclaimed historians created that phantasy designation "post production cars". It is what it is. BS within the term itself.
    I suspect, that this BS appeared, because for decades all self-proclaimed historians stated, that the last built carb GTB was #34349 until suddenly Ferrari told us, that there are five more cars out there.

First I read about "post production" in that thick book about Ferrari serial numbers, which I discarded, because the read was as interesting as big city white pages.

Best from Germany
    Martin

15. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Unfortunately you won't see all the file, you will be given only the last step. My Classiche certificate doesn't say "it had to be red, but it was painted in blue: those are info unavailable for the public and (if you are lucky) you will be given by words only. I was lucky as my stepson worked at Ferrari and he was given, unofficially, a ton of info as son of the owner. I have no evidence of that: I just was told by words by my stepson.

Here you can see a door of my car at the beginning of the restore: the car was blue (the first was factory blue, then a repaint in blue some years later and the last one was the red of the last repaint, twelve years before. Ferrari told me the car was bule and we find the factory blue on all body panels. If Ferrari says your car is black (and did not send you the wrong build sheet…), you have to find some black somewhere!

So maybe better checking very well with Ferrari what your car color was, if you want a Factory spec restore.

ciao and enjoy the restore: the car will become "your" one and not only a preowned car, a big satisfaction!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  16. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Very true.

I am seeing the car again next week and I will be going over it in detail to try and find any black paint. I am not adverse to black but again I can find no evidence the interior was ever beige either....the badly damaged seats are as per factory pattern which is not very common here where generally most trim shops make a complete mess of Ferrari seats.

What I also find odd is that for a long period 308's were not very valuable here so to think someone actually spent this amount of money on one is very odd. I am trying to research this car particular history in SA to see what I can find out.

Even the inside of the doors is very much red.

In a SA context Carb GTB's are quite rare, the vast majority of 308's here are fuel injected i's ad QV's, mostly GTS variants.

17. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    I had the same thought. On one of your pictures one can see a bit of the door interiour. That makes it extremely unlikely, that this car was black from the factory.

What I find highly interesting is that -what one can see on the center console-, a SA car came from the factory without A/C.

Maybe it's stupid question. But shouldn't a genuine SA car be RHD?

Best from Germany
    Martin

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Sorry, you already explained my RHD question in your post #14

Best
    Martin

19. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The lack of air con is why I am loath to paint the car black! The LHD issue is one that's puzzling but largely SA having to take whatever it could get from the factory, LHD or RHD. The number of LHD cars seems to drop off after 1982 or so.

Unfortunately the importer changed in 1997 and I am busy trying to chase up any old records that may exist.

20. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Terrific thread!
    I too find it very odd that you are unable to find black anywhere on the vehicle . Would conclude someone at Ferrari indeed sent you information for a different 308. Simplest solution might be to just request the exact same information once again from the factory and see what shows up? Unless they are charging you $1200 us each time for this.

21. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I have asked the Factory confirm the information sent because I find it very difficult to believe. During the course of this week I will going to the car and scraping some paint but from what I can see it does not appear the car has ever had a bare metal re spray.

The next phase is going to be to get the body to the body shop and while that is going on the engine will be stripped. At which point the parts list can be compiled....

308 milano likes this.
  22. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Well, on the plus side, the car is so far in need of repair, you will probably have an almost as new car when you are done.

Doug

23. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I would suggest the attempted repair you reference took place so long ago, the virgin metal the braze was made to, rusted away.

I also see: Yellow (which may be primer), Red, white red and red as paint layers.

Doug

24. Ferrari 360 CS

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Yip it probably took place years ago, the car was parked outside, next to a swimming pool next to a barbeque, this was where it was apparently "worked on" and once work was done a tarpaulin was put over the car which of course trapped in lots of moisture. Good news is the frame is solid but needs a good clean, the body has better and worse area's that is one of the worse areas, for whatever reason the back side window was removed.

Going to take a lot of pictures this week to post up.