So this happened.... | FerrariChat

So this happened....

Discussion in '308/328' started by ATSAaron, Feb 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I kept this on the down low for a while, but about a year ago I messed up my motor. Basically I ran way too much timing and lifted the heads. We pulled the motor to inspect/replace the head gaskets and instead found lots of issues like worn valve guides, wavy cylinder walls, and valves had hit the pistons at some time. This motor was originally built to last about 12 miles at Bonneville and I drove it for about 8,000.

So it ended up being a full rebuild. Many many thanks to Rob Rudeau who helped me pull and install the motor, plus he’s a wiring guru that added some functions to the harness (Tundra throttle by wire and AC idle up to name a couple). And the meticulous tuning of Scott McClendon.

We had some issues early on (like a dead alternator and copper head gasket usual BS) but it all came together today. We are a little limited on mid range power because the clutch isn’t fully broken in but the new motor makes 55 more whp than the old motor at .5 psi less boost. Max boost is 16psi/1.1 bar.

Old motor made 622whp at 16.5 psi. New ATS motor makes 678whp at 16psi.

Link Storm ecu with e-throttle module, ATS 875cc injectors, Precision 6466 turbo. Wiseco custom pistons with a ton of compression (13:1), 348 heads with custom Norwood cams, custom clutch made by me (Ferrari
    Daytona pressure plate with centerforce weight mechanism, kevlar Clutchmasters disk), lots and lots of custom fab work.

As far as we know it’s the most powerful Ferrari powered 308 in the world.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

JL350, DANGIT, Thomas Magnum and 4 others like this.
  2. Jeremy58jeremy

Jeremy58jeremy Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 30, 2010
    Palmer, Alaska
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Grimes
    Jesus....Congratulations Aaron, that thing must be an absolute rocketship! It's always satisfying to see a custom build come together to produce incredible results.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Awesome job!... Know to well the work involved in these... Keeping them together is the tough part..
    My real gripe with the 3x8 is that they really need at least 6 speeds when the power gets above 350.

4. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    You are correct. A shop in Australia, Modena Engineering has come up with a set of custom drop gears that I’m considering. It doesn’t add a gear, but it will spread them out some.

Aaron

5. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
  6. Fred Daniali

Fred Daniali Karting

Jul 23, 2019
    Chino Hills California
    Full Name:
    Fred Daniali
    Bravo! That's awesome!!!

7. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    They still make them? They were doing that at least 20yrs ago. If they are helical cut and affordable jump on it, the straight cut gears whine like a banshee! I've heard that you can add another gear by losing reverse... I'd have to ask Nick who did that, I've seen the pics for the parts ages ago.

What did you do for head gasket and studs? Those have been the biggest hurdles to date.
    348 heads are the way to go...

8. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I’ve got stock studs torqued to about 75lb ft. I considered ARP studs, but was warned that pulling the old ones out of the block might do a ton of damage.

My head gaskets are copper from Bob Norwood. He has Clarke make them. The oil drain back holes have to be modified. I have steel rings/wire on top of each sleeve. If I do it again I will add a steel wire to each combustion chamber too, but at a slightly bigger (or smaller) diameter so it will really lock the gasket in place.

the gaskets have copper coat on both sides and Toyota FIPG around the water jackets and oil passages. Even with all this I had a little leaking that had to be fixed by adding a nano-seal leak stop product.

Aaron

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Keeping the heads sealed is a *****! Last boosted engine I went with a coating of the aviation sealant, that did the trick. Granted it was big bore block with integrated liners and flat deck.
    Studs are a problem, arp doesn't have anything off the shelf. Nick had 20 sets made up custom 20 odd yrs ago.. And we are now out of them. Going forward I'll have to adapt ARP studs, the M14 threading in the block is unique and why studs are not off the shelf.. that's more Diesel.
    Pulling the studs doesn't hurt the block, them being fused is common on the 2v, edm them out $$$$ not sure how many times we can stretch the stock studs, they are soft.

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  11. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name: