How lenient or resistant was the dealership when negotiating the price of your Ferrari? | FerrariChat

How lenient or resistant was the dealership when negotiating the price of your Ferrari?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458LOVE, Feb 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    How lenient or resistant was the dealership when negotiating the price of your Ferrari? Please share details.

2. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    New car ?

3. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Lets say they still have some new 488GTB's maybe a little but generally they will laugh at you if you want to negotiate. This could change when they are making 15,000 cars a year. But you could always ask. I did and got free front sensors

tekaefixe likes this.
  4. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Whoops, used or new 458/488/F8. Just thought this would be an interesting topic but personally I'm buying a used 458.

5. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    new car? Msrp.

mused- negotiate away.

6. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    I found it was pretty tough to negotiate at ferrari dealers. Most just wait for the customer that does not care about money. Great economy, people are pretty flush these days.

7. Minte

Minte Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2004
    Wisconsin
    I got them down about a lunch in Paris..as long as I fly economy..

serlen likes this.
  8. 458LOVE

458LOVE Rookie

Jan 29, 2020
    Here's an example. 2016 488gtb, Ferrari dealership asking $210k. It is realistic to get this for $200k? I'm just someone that likes a deal and never likes to pay asking.

AD211 likes this.
  9. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Got 40k off a used 450 mile 488 plus got a good trade in number on my 2018 11k mile gt3. I took the deal as quick as possible, dealer was great to work with.

10. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I asked the same question before I spec’d my F8. New - no discount. Used - 5-20% based on buying 2 used 458’s. For used - All depends on the specs, how long they have had it, what they paid etc......but 458’s have been solid for a while due to the sound. I would guess 5-8% max right now unless the spec is something that is not desirable to the masses

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    yes. I think it’s reasonable. Make the offer. Worst they can say is no

12. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Yes. This is a business that involves both sides. Ask, negotiate, but don't low-ball. Same as all things purchased. The answer is that you will never know unless you ask.

VAF84 likes this.
  13. "It never hurts to ask"

That saying is still true to this day.

14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    A good deal is nothing more than a state of mind. What may be a good deal to me may not be to someone else. In the end it is a car so it is not always just about price, it is also about the build, the service records, amount of owners. I have bought a lot more cars than most, and while price is important, there are other things just as (or more) important. If 10K one way or another is a big deal in your world, I would probably advise against cars like a Ferrari.

15. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    depends entirely on the car, 488's and Lussos have deals to be made

16. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    This is solid advice. I would not let a couple dollars keep you from the car you want. A couple year down the road, the price paid will be solidly in the background, and the value you received will be paramount. Stay focused on overall value, not price. That said, it’s a buyers market. I cannot imagine any dealer not willing to wheel and deal on a somewhat fungible used car.

IloveGT and wthensler like this.
  17. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    #17 PA Wolfpacker, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Similar experience while shopping for a F12. I suggest you consider non-Ferrari dealers. Here in SW Florida we have several reputable options to choose from with good inventory. If you want a 488 or 458 there are many to choose from and you should be able to deal.

Here is a link to one of those dealerships who currently have 3 488s and 3 458s to choose from

https://www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com/

mdrums likes this.
  18. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I got 9% off ask on 458 a year and a half ago

19. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    10% off, pre owned 458, official Ferrari dealer, no trade.

Resisted negotiating at first, but after 3 or 4 phonecalls, they were actually accommodating. I think it also helped the fact that I wasn’t indecisive, that was the 458 I wanted and I made myself available to put down a deposit at dealer’s pleasure.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I 2nd Gulf Coast Motorworks....great guys and inventory.

21. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It also seems Ferrari dealers have more and more cars on consignment - in which case they pass the negociation price reduction to the owner...
    I wonder how such a market for used cars still has no apparent effect on new cars sales in spite of increased volume - there was always a premium for a new car (for the joy of making the specs and getting a completely fresh car) but the cost difference is now bordering insanity; I'm not sure how long such situation will be sustained.

MANDALAY, PA Wolfpacker and wthensler like this.
  22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Therein lies the core conundrum for Ferrari and the other manufacturers: as the price walk between new and late model delivery mile preowned continues to widen, enormous downward pressure is placed on annual price increases. Most build price increases into their business plan, but I do not see how that can be sustained. As a manufacturer, you can advance your volume, you can advance your prices, you can increase your model lineup, but you probably cannot do all three at once unless you do so modestly and with restraint. I’ve said this before, if you are like me, and you love cars, you have more a “buy and hold” sensibility, and you want to increase your total collection (for enjoyment, not for investment) over a long period time horizon, these are the halcyon days.

wthensler likes this.
  23. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    #23 wthensler, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Interesting perspective. I remember when the Euro was flying high compared to the USD, and wondered how BMW dealers in the US could hold pricing relatively constant, as we used to be loyal to that brand.

I noticed they did this by cheapening the brand. Finishes and components in newer models were clearly inferior.

This set the stage for modern marketing - stable pricing, but less product.

In the case of Ferrari, I don’t have an easy answer. I don’t need to buy new, so my next purchase will most likely be pre-owned. And yes, I’ll negotiate, but do so respectfully.

24. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Indeed, for most people preowned is the better option. I would say that a new car purchase is mainly reserved for those wanting somewhat exotic specs (me), those intending long ownership horizons (me), those having extra money to set ablaze (not me), and those wanting the latest/greatest model the fastest (not me). If someone is wanting to mitigate cost, likes moving in and out of cars, likes more mundane/common specs, I am not sure how they go wrong with preowned. That said, I own a Huracan Performante and 812, both purchased new, both enjoy eye-watering depreciation schedules, and both I will enjoy for decades to come.

25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    The other factor is that most exotic car owners tend to take great care of their cars, so used doesn’t generally equate to pre-thrashed.

Another item I buy pre-owned is Astronomy gear. It’s simply amazing how many scopes get used once (or not at all) because folks can’t figure out how to use an equatorial mount with computerized GOTO and tracking..... many great deals out there on the used market.

Thecadster likes this.