Daily Driver! 360 or 430? | FerrariChat

Daily Driver! 360 or 430?

Discussion in '360/430' started by APA#1, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Been looking for A DD for a while now and want either a 360 of 430 coupe, F1, that I might convert to manual. In case it comes up, do not want a 458 or later.

Miles not too important, at least if they are under 40K. Don't want a garage queen either as I actually want to drive it and not willing to pay the premium for low miles.

I have been trending toward a 430 as I would love to add a scud bumper on the front

My daily is an 09 Maser Granturismo F1, love it, just time for a change.

Any of you guys DD yours?

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I used to DD my car. 3 biggest issues were long doors (ingress/egress), driveways, and very tight parking spots. The long doors mean you need a fair amount of space to comfortably get in and out of the car. The one other issue is when it breaks, you may not be able to get parts right away so it can be down for a while. It is reliable but could be down for a month if your mechanic is busy and the parts aren't readily available.

gt1995 and pilotoCS like this.
  3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    ^^^ Tru dat ^^^

4. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I plan to buy a beat 360... and gated swap it ... and track it and daily drive it.

If you don’t care about pristine paint and interior you can do this successfully.

see ratarossa YouTube dd cs! No f’s given daily f car. My hero.

Also these cars are fairly simple to work on. No need to pay retail for parts and service.

EastMemphis likes this.
  5. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I DD my F430 with no issues. I do all my own maintenance and repairs and don't worry about miles. The roads where I live are terrible, but the F430 handles it better than my full size truck.

The worse part of DD imo is the attention it gets. I have summer tires so for a few months I only take it out in above freezing weather but I'm thinking of getting 16M wheels for the warm months, and the stock 430 wheels with all season.

6. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Not sure exactly where you live, so unsure about how much snow you get, but, having lived with snow most of my life, I can 100% recommend that you never get All Seasons. They do things "OK", but never really that great at all.

You're much better off getting dedicated summers, like a PS4S, that works well in rain, and above freezing temps, and then during winter, just throw on some real winter tires.

7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Florida guy, no snow :)

I think the biggest part for me at least would be the fun factor. The Maserati is great and the sound is incredible, it's actually the most fun car I have ever owned and daily, just want a little bit more. I have had quite a few Ferrari's, 360's included, but never a 430. Problem was they were lightly driven, this one I want to max out to the fullest.

The weekend car is the attention getter, so not trying to be showy with this one.

I am not new school, so a 458 or 488 does not interest me. F1 is awesome as is stick

8. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I have 44k miles in my 07 gated 430 spider that I bought new. I have an FF for daily. Maintenance on 430 has been no different then a BMW or Mercedes

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

one4torque likes this.
  9. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    This is great advice, but I get snow 3-4 times a year. I'm more worried about summer tires cracking and lack of traction, and snow tires are overkill for me. If I lived further north I would 100% follow your recommendation.

10. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    My f430 gets lots of attention, even being a black coupe. I had a fee people almost crash into me trying to take pictures with their cellphone. Every fill up requires a conversation and a chuckle at a joke, and I constantly get people reving up their motors at me at intersections, hoping I return the call. This stuff is literally daily.

Florida might be different, I used to live there and supercars/sports cars were more common so less of a novelty.

There is another recent thread discussing difference between 360 and 430 with interesting perspectives. 360 is better looking imo, but the 430 has much more noticeable power. I initially wanted a 458 until I drove it. Dual clutch killed it for me. I settled on the 430 and have been happy. It's never not done what I asked of it on the street. I don't plan to track it so o keep it road drivable.

11. Mikestradale

Mikestradale F1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Daily drove my gated 360 Spider for a while. No issues. Still kinda miss it. Very small trunk though, not a lot of space for groceries. You will get a lot of attention, it’s not always fun but it’s part of the experience.

I DD a 599 now and it’s a much better DD (obviously). More space. Better visibility, easier to park.

one4torque likes this.
  12. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Yep, don't want a DCT car, like the somewhat rawness/feel of the F1 clutch. As to attention getting cars I have this below and it gets quite a lot of it, same as you.

Not going to worry about miles, that's why I'm not looking to pay a premium for a low mile example, will do my own maintenance as well.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

dweintra likes this.
  13. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Seems you have great taste in automobiles!

one4torque and APA#1 like this.
  14. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i never dd mine because of the attention. also because it didn't do well in traffic and the F1 is pretty clunky. great under a load though.

Manda racing likes this.
  15. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I don't understand the clunky description often used for the F1 system shifts. It doesn't feel clunky to me at all. My car is smooth in stop and go traffic, clutch wear being the only thing I worry about. It did take me a few miles to get a feel for it at first, but once I understood the relationship between torque being requested and current rpm/speed/etc it mostly feels like a 6 speed would during shifts. Maybe I have lower expectations because I haven't spent much time in a car with a DC.

APA#1 and Skidkid like this.
  16. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    it could be my driving too. its hard to rev match

17. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
  18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I've tried to like this guy..... buy he really irks me.... like really bad...... perhaps it's a personal problem.... I can't bring myself to watch any of his vids.

Maine57S1 likes this.
  19. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I'd go gated 360 for DD. When you're trying to angle a tough parking lot transition, I wouldn't want to also be having to think about how to make the paddles or extra LWFW in the gated 430 do what you want at the same time.

one4torque likes this.
  20. 550nitis

550nitis Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2016
    Houston
    I used to DD my 360. Some issues that I had were the intense amount of carefulness I needed not to continue my scrape the front which irked me. Other than that it was a great dd. I now dd my 911 and drive the 360 on Friday's.

Dewinator likes this.
  21. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    Happy Ferrari Friday tomorrow. I'm driving mine as well.:cool:

one4torque, Need4Spd and 550nitis like this.
  22. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Both the 360 and 430 are great cars, it's a tough 1st world decision to make I know.

23. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    430 would be my choice. Bit more refined than the 360.

24. Penzinger

Penzinger Karting

Jul 13, 2019
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Heinz
    in my opinion a 430 MY08 is the better everyday car. Sophisticated technology at F1, timing chain instead of timing belt is maintenance-friendly

cole328 likes this.
  25. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    Daily drive the hell out of either . These are not the pinnacle of Ferrari ownership so they shouldn't be treated like it . If the car screws up , fix it . If the car blows up , LS swap it :D:D:D

I would pay to see someone LS swap a 360 !

Personally love the comment about which two LS swapped Ferraris are running.......2:15 :D