F430 Front License Plate Opportunity | FerrariChat

F430 Front License Plate Opportunity

Discussion in '360/430' started by 1949live, Feb 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi all - after several decades of having a Ferrari poster in my workshop, I have finally joined the club with a lovely red on red F430 F1 Spider as shown below. Can't wait for the Denver winter to subside so I can stretch her legs :). I am using the interim time to clean up all the little nits that are important to me (like stickies and tail light repairs) but one that annoys me is the front license plate issue. Here in CO that is required and the two options available out there for brackets are close to $300 for what is really just a bent up piece of metal, which to me is exorbitant. I have use the Sto and Sho plate holders on other cars (https://bigmikesperformanceparts.com/), and they make great quality products at a fair price. Mike, the owner, is willing to look at making a bracket for the F430 at a much better price but would need an hour or so with a 430 to measure it out. They are located in Morgan Hill, CA. Anyone have a 430 nearby that would be wiling to stop by for an hour or so of measuring? Please contact Mike at [email protected] and let me know you have done so so that I can monitor Mike's progress. Thanks much and I look forward to chatting with you all about F430's!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JaguarXJ6 and EastMemphis like this.
  2. 9650max

9650max Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 28, 2011
    Go to moweraxle.com and buy the 430 plate holder.It screws into the tow hook hole on the right front of your car. Nice clean look and around 100 bucks with shipping. I have it on my 430 and have bought and used several of them on various cars.

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  3. brs5280

brs5280 Rookie

Feb 3, 2020
    Full Name:
    B RS
    Beautiful car - congrats on the purchase. I'm in Denver and am also looking for an F430. Where did you find yours?

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  4. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that I did look at tow hook solutions and don't like them - I don't like to remove the bumper cover for the hole, personally I don't think they look nearly as good as a real centered plate holder (which the 430 seems to have a natural place for), and I have read of some reports of these interfering with the sensors. So for now I'd like to see if we can get a reasonably price plate holder like the expensive types but much less expensive. Just need a nearby 430 owner to stop by and see Mike.

5. PBT58

PBT58 Karting

Jul 6, 2018
    Full Name:
    Peter T
  6. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Found my car in the Chicago area. Was actually a find through Fchat.

aslowdodge likes this.
  7. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Agreed with all you said. I was just looking for a more cost effective solution. Sto and Sho's units are nearly all less that $100 so I was hoping I could get one from them at a similar price for the F430. Thanks.

PBT58 likes this.
  8. MJGinTX

MJGinTX Karting

Mar 30, 2019
    Noblesville, IN
    I have the carbonic as well. Works great - no issues. It’s super easy and quite sturdy.

Although to be honest I rarely attach it. I keep it in the trunk. If I were ever to get pulled over I would state that the car had recently been detailed and that they must have forgot to attach. I would then take it out, and attach it.

unreelviper and PBT58 like this.
  9. recoil

recoil Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2007
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm a buyer if this happens. I tried the tow hook thing and didn't like it at all.

Unfortunately, I'm on the wrong coast.

Steve

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Congrats on the purchase! I would be seriously shocked if you got pulled over for no front plate. 10k miles of spirited driving from home in the front range to Denver, CO Springs, the Peak, Estes Park, etc never once hassled. Not even during VIN verification for any of the cars with no front plate was it ever mentioned. They did joke they had to drive it to verify it was real. :) Your experience may vary, pay the fine, move on!

APA#1 likes this.
  11. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    In my country there are automatic speed control systems that take photos of the car front when you are speeding. To not have a licence plate on the front would save you from getting a ticket. But would also be a serious offence.

12. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    No volunteers in the Morgan Hill, CA area? Must be a lot of Ferrari's there :)

13. Carbonio

Carbonio Formula 3

Dec 1, 2009
    Thank you all for the kind comments about our plate mounts. Yes it is a pricier option but it is also an F430 specific product that cannot be used with any other cars.

The guys at Big Mikes Performance make a neat product that works well in a number of applications. It is a universal part that is made to work with as many cars as they can. Unfortunately on an F430 to make it work would involve either screwing or adhering the receiver piece of their assembly to the underside of the lower center winglet. This is fairly intrusive and leaves a visible piece behind when the plate is removed. Our mount is 100% self-contained, goes on and off in seconds, and leaves nothing behind when removed.

F-chatters are extended a discount (PM for discount code) and we have mounts in stock and ready to ship.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Thanks for the comments. While the Carbonio unit is very nice, and I have no beef with it, I am looking for a more cost effective solution. Mike is willing to make a custom part for the F430 if someone in the area can stop by his shop for measurements. Nearly all of Mikes brackets are sub $100 and are high quality - I have used them on some of my other cars. So anyone that can help will get a free mount.

15. Shahski

Shahski Rookie

Oct 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Shah khalid
    I have this on my 2009 F430. It's made from a malleable plastic, so can be contoured onto the curvature of the bumper. I am UK based, and would be happy to furnish you with details of my supplier. Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    I bent my plate to match the curve on the front. 3M tape...done.

17. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    How was removeall - does it damage the paint on the bumper when you pull it off? What 3M tape did you use - they make hundreds of types. Thanks.

18. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    Sorry i have no idea how to PM you for the data - can you PM me?

19. Alan NZ

Alan NZ Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Alan
    My plate is also bent to the bumper profile and taped on. In New Zealand the plates don't need to be taken off as we use a windscreen label for registration/licensing.

20. 1949live

1949live Karting

Sep 18, 2014
    Denver, Colorado
    Full Name:
    David
    I meant if and when i ever sell the car can i remove it without damage. What tape - manufacturer and number - do you use? Thanks.

21. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Like a previous poster said, Just drive it.

Been driving a 308 and now a 360 and got stopped once in 20 plus years and was not ticketed.

Enjoy the car.

Any plate on the front is a detriment to the beauty of the car.

22. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i drive mine with out a front plate. In Oregon it is a non-moving violation meaning they will not pull you over for it. If you are publicly parked they write you an $80 ticket. I mostly park in parking structures or on private lots. I got the $80 ticket a few times but i just pay it. it's worth it considering how bad a 430 looks with a front plate

killer58 likes this.
  23. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I carry mine behind the driver seat. On the rare occasion I park on a public street, I place it on the dash.
    I haven’t had front plates in 40 years.

24. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Mines a personalised plate and will stay with the car if I sell it. It's doublesided 3M, is 1.2mm thick and a dark green colour. No part number sorry. I'm sure I could peel it off but wont ever be trying. We need front plates here. How else can speed cameras and toll road cameras get you? Some people put printed decals on instead of government issue plates. They get fined.