Am I CRAZY for wanting a Mondial?? | FerrariChat

Am I CRAZY for wanting a Mondial??

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Matthew 6:19, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Matthew 6:19

Matthew 6:19 Karting

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I'm like so many of you, first fell in love with Ferrari as a teen, watching Magnum PI. Over the years I've owned a bunch of corvettes, but now I'm to the point where I'd like to get my first Ferrari.

Am I crazy for wanting a Mondial? I actually think I like the hardtop more than the convertible, but would be happy with either.

Any general thoughts for me as I begin to look for one? Thanks in advance!

Patek and paulchua like this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Welcome!!
    Just curious, why would you consider yourself crazy to want one? I often think people are crazy not to!

LARRYH, sixcarbs and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  3. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Well, I guess because they are so often considered "undesirable" for a variety of reasons, not the least of which the expensive engine service that's required for these motors.

4. gsfent

gsfent Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    PB County, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Whatever you might spend on maintenance, you will more than recoup from the lack of depreciation!

Go for it, the folks on here certainly don't think the Mondial is undesirable!

Regards,
    Jerry

paulchua and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    No need to talk bad about the Mondial while amongst its faithful.

Plus, for most of them, "expensive engine service" is a falsehood that keeps getting perpetuated by the... ;)

gsfent, paulchua and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  6. mustbenuts

mustbenuts Karting

May 14, 2017
    Lancaster, PA USA
    Full Name:
    GR
    Crazy? No! Absolutely understand the desire and the attraction to the Mondial as all those on this thread. (I would agree with you regarding the coupe versus the soft top though there are days when you'd like to go topless. But staying on point here...general thoughts: is it more expensive to service - yes, but its relative. "Regular maintenance" such as filters, lubricants, tires and such is comparable to any car IMO. Once beyond that and items such as distributor parts (older models) and the timing belt changes can get salty. Consideration here is amount of miles you'll be accumulating and if you performing any of this latter work yourself. If not, suggest finding a reputable mechanic familiar with the marque and start a discussion with them on what to expect. Obviously with limited production cars - as compared to the Vette - will demand some higher cost in parts. All the best!

paulchua and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  7. Mondi Cab

Mondi Cab Karting

Oct 9, 2019
    EU
    Full Name:
    J.Schulz
    .. but then, why don't you want to go for a 328 berlinetta grow a mustache and wear a flowered shirt ? ; )

Unless of course you need - like me - the rear seats, there is not a too big gap in prices and given you like the coupe better, you couldn't care less about the Mondial beeing the only full convertible of that time.

People buy Testarossas for various reasons, but the ones that have a white one wearing white jackets over a T-shirt have an obvious....

8. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    The T coupe is the perfect Ferrari for me. I’m very happy I “discovered” it while shopping for something else.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

gsfent, paulchua and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  9. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    I'm not talking bad about the MOndial in anyway.... hence the quotes. I'm talking about wanting one! =)

I'm glad to hear expensive service is a falsehood. Can you expand a bit on that, help me understand the real costs as I am looking for a beauty to buy.... thanks!!!

paulchua likes this.
  10. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Awesome. Can you tell me why you like it? How did you find it? Your experience with maintenance costs? thanks in advance!

11. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks so much for the comments! I guess what concerns me most at this point, is reading about the belt service that is required. I would likely drive the car 6,000-8,000 miles a year, based on how much I drove my corvettes. Trying to better understand the real cost before I dive head first in the water.

I actually like the look of the Mondial, despite what others think. And at this point, it also seems the most reasonable cost to start with a first Ferrari. 308/328 and certainly 360 are up in prices and mostly out of my "play" car budget.

Texas Forever likes this.
  12. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    #12 JLF, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    I always liked 70s and 80s Ferrari’s because that’s what I grew up with. Particularly 308-328s. The Mondial T coupe basically looks like a 4 seat 328 to me but has a more modern engine and engine configuration and Interior. It drives amazing and makes the best sound with the tubi exhaust I could ever hope for. Plus the car is has a much more exotic presence in person than it does in photos.
    Ive had it 2 years. I overpaid probably a little but the car is in amazing condition and came out of a $12500 major service the day I picked it up.
    I’ve probably spent $5000 to $5500 on it. $2400 for a tubi muffler and $2k something for an SRI fuse box. A couple transmission oil changes at about a hundred bucks each done myself and an oil change recently which was about $200 done on my own. Personally I don’t think they’re that expensive under normal ownership conditions, especially if you can do your own maintenance, but if something big breaks like the trans or engine it would be extremely expensive.

gsfent and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  13. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks so much for the info. The major service is what concerns me; $12,000 on nice cars that can be picked up for $35,000 or so. Ouch!

14. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    I’m not sure you could pick up a T coupe for that price and if you did it would need a lot more than a major. Mine had a new clutch and some other things so it was more expensive than a normal major. If you did the major service yourself you could probably plan on spending $3500 ish and that would only need to be done about every 5 to 7 years.
    The 3.2 and earlier cars I don’t think the engine has to come out for a major so it’s probably quite a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Have you done any research on your own? Or are just asking questions here. Do you know the differences between a Mondial t and the previous variants?

Also, at this point, every Mondial is it's own example. In other words, you can't apply costs and other variables from one to another. Remember, these are limited production classic/vintage/exotic cars and it's best not to compare them with corvettes, porsches and etc.

Consider too if you'll need to pay someone else do all of service/work needed.

Anyone can buy a Mondial. Keeping one is a different story.

Il Steeg, gsfent and paulchua like this.
  16. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    paulchua likes this.
  17. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    If you’re worried about the major service, stick with a 3.2, QV or 8. Engine in, costs me approximately 3k usd every 5 years. T would be at least double that.

Some Mondial specific parts can be expensive and hard to find, most engine consumables are no worse that any other v8 car.

Update the electrical/fusebox....this is the single most important thing you can do to any 80’s Ferrari

Being 30 year old + cars, There are many other age related maintenance and or mondial specific issues to look out for....a 30k mondial can quickly become 60k. Once sorted, mondials have bullet proof engines and transmissions(although there are some known issues with the 3.4 T tranny)

They are fantastic cars to drive, not the fastest out there but more than fast enough for me.
    Handling is pin point and nothing like the sound of that engine roaring down a b road with the wind in your hair(cabrio)

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    #18 Chris Mondi, Feb 20, 2020
    This is what my 3.2 cabrio cost me so far, i elected to find a clean one with nice leather interior, new cabrio top, but it needed extensive work to the electrical, engine major service, suspension, brakes, clutch etc

Bought the car for 23K, dropped 15K on it to get it sorted out, and another $7500 that I’ll call “elective upgrades”. Grand total $45,000 so far... not counting general maintenance....but that was a few years back. Prices seem to be on the rise....with a few more bucks here and there, I’ll really take it to the next level...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Matthew 6:19 and JLF like this.
  19. AndruL

AndruL Karting

Apr 4, 2018
    Full Name:
    AndruL
    I have owned my 3.2 for almost 30 years. Without any prior mechanical experiences, I managed to do all of the works myself including electrical system, fuse box, clutch, cam belts, suspensions, cooling system, hydraulic, fuel system, valves, exhaust ... you name it. These cars are easy and fun to work on. Most importantly the sense of accomplishment when you completed a job is priceless.

Il Steeg, Matthew 6:19, Wade and 2 others like this.
  20. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    I have owned my 87 3.2 for almost a year now and the biggest expense so far was a set of tires. The "engine out" maintenance of the 3.4 in the T models is what kept me from buying one. I can handle either a belt or clutch job on this car for minimal money doing it myself, and it really is kind of fun to wrench on after a career of working on American stuff, including lots of Corvettes. 3.2 also has a rather bulletproof reputation for durability. The 3.4 in the "T" does not.

Matthew 6:19 and paulchua like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #21 paulchua, Feb 20, 2020
    Again, welcome Matthew.

I would say this is a valid concern if one of two things are not available to you.
    1) A local mechanic with experience on these cars
    2) You yourself are not willing or able to do it yourself

That said, these are 30 year old cars so engine out is just one of the many things that will no doubt come up. Do you know somebody/somewhere to work on your car? Or do you yourself plan to?

Best wishes to you!

Cheers

P.S. Besides the 'engine out' (which also is required for the 355/Testarossa/Boxer) what other 'undesirable' reasons are out there? Not a challenge or attempt to bait you. I know a lot of folks don't like how it looks, and that's subjective - so very fair to each individual. I sincerely am curious though what is the general sentiment these days?

Thanks again, and welcome to Fchat!!!

22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #22 paulchua, Feb 20, 2020
    Something else to ponder as well. From 1947 to 1988, Ferrari created 35 distinct model lines (as in TR/512/512M I would count as '1' model)

34 of 35 have enshrined themselves as "classics" - the most recent entries to the "Hall of Fame" being the 308 GT4 and the 365/400/412 series which both have fully come into their own.

While history doesn't always repeat itself, 70+ years of Ferrari seems to show "time is kind to all Ferrari"

Is it possible the Mondial will be the only exception out of 35 times?

Something tells me no.

Matthew 6:19 likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Matthew, I don't think you meant anything negative at all. The Mondial is indeed an easy target, which I've done extensive research on the 'whys' and how it happened. Some criticisms are fair (original Mondial 8 EFI US-spec,seat belt mice) Others are neutral (shared with all Ferrari of the epoch) - most, unfortunately, are grossly and flat out false.*

*I've found many Mondial owners have a love-hate relationship with this. It keeps the model attainable and garners an amazing endearing quality. Very few people can pull the "****" Ferrari owner card. unique - but can garner sneers from "fAsT n FuRIOUs CrOWd yo!" A few true motorheads know what it represents, though, like John Pogson (6 time UK Ferrari championship winner.)

If you are a person who is not insecure and are confident in truth and facts, the Mondial is the exotic world's best-kept secret.

Il Steeg and Matthew 6:19 like this.
  24. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Thanks Wade. I think your point of buying vs keeping is a good one. I'm trying to fully understand what I want to get in to. Doing as much research and reading as I can, including questions here. I am learning about the different versions of the car. 8, QV, etc and now understand the earlier versions don't necessarily need the "engine out" service. All good to know. If there are other good sources of info to further my understanding of these cars, I'd appreciate it much! thanks!

25. Matthew 6:19

Dec 19, 2018
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    thank you! Definitely considering a QV. appreciate your thoughts.