Paint shop | FerrariChat

Paint shop

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by Caphill, Feb 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    One of my cars recently met the rock chip hell of skyline drive. It now needs side skirt and front bumper painting. I’m looking for recommendations on shops to use near DC. I went to a shop yesterday, but I left not convinced the shop would get the color right. Could anyone share their experiences getting bumpers resprayed?

2. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I had the bumpers and rockets on my 360 Spider repainted (and then wrapped in paint protective film) by D&V in Sterling. They are also the body shop for Ferrari of Washington and were doing the bumpers on an F40 that belongs to the former owner of FoW when I was there. Ask for Kevin Maharaj, the owners’ son, who does most of the estimates on exotics and is a member of the local car community. I believe he now works out of their second location which only handles exotics and high end cars.

3. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Just be ready to pay an arm and a leg at D&V, they do pretty good work, but Kevin isn't the easiest to deal with.

sherrillt likes this.
  4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

I respectfully disagree. I used them for a repair on one of my cars and found them to be reasonable, quick and easy to work with. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

5. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    D&V is the absolute best body shop in the DMV and imo. I've never heard and friends complain about their pricing.

6. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I've booked an appointment at D&V for next Monday. I'm looking forward to it and will share my results.

7. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Thats your experience, not mine. I'm not going into all the details, but you can keep drinking the kool aid.

8. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Dude....I don't know who pissed in your Cheerios but I don't drink Kool Aid. I evaluated several well known shops and went with Ferrari of Washington's recommendation. Kevin and I went over the work, they did a great job, no surprises and I paid them out of my wallet. If you think that is "drinking the Kool Aid"....you are sadly mistaken.

ROMO likes this.
  9. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    There nothing wrong with some Kool Aid, depends on the flavor I guess. Glad you had a good experience with Kevin. I think he's an arrogant conceded prick and I had over $60k worth of work done at D&V. He plays people well and looks out for his own interest over others. He'll never get another dime or endorsement from me. Plenty of other shops around here can work on high end cars

10. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    #11 Caphill, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    So was the quote far off? What was the problem? I moved my appointment to Thursday, so I’ll have a quote in hand tomorrow. Anything I need to ask? This is a first time for me.

11. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    D&V is the best around..

ROMO likes this.
  12. gt1995

gt1995 Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    I had D&V work on a Toyota with a very difficult to match paint job before I had them work on my Ferrari. They were equally detailed and high quality on both, as well as fairly priced. I shopped around too.

ROMO and Caphill like this.
  13. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I’m waiting on my first quote from another shop to come in. So I’ll have something to compare to. I like that you ran a test against a more pedestrian vehicle. I was thinking about doing the same.

14. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Only D&V

ROMO likes this.
  15. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    D&V Did work on my old XKR. It was great. They gave a quote for another project that I never moved on. No issues and their prices seemed appropriate.

ROMO likes this.
  16. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I was afraid of overspray so myself and a friend of mine removed my front bumper and side sills on my F430 and had them painted off the car. It was a painless job because I have Rosso Corsa paint. These new color 3 stage paints wont have that luxury. Good luck with this task! Cheers

17. ROMO

ROMO Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 18, 2008
    WASHINGTON DC
    Full Name:
    ROMO
    Many local dealerships send cars to D&V before we lay eyes on our cars. As we all know often times cars are damaged while being shipped to the US and I know for an absolute fact, that FoW and Sterling Motorcars uses D&V in the event of any shipping damage, I recently rear ended a car that switched lanes and hit their brakes hard in the rain and incurred front end damage to my Range Rover Sport SVR Sport. I was found to not to be at fault because a good samaritan stuck around until the police arrived. Subsequently, he insurance agent from AIG provided an estimate of $9,400 and D&V's initial estimate was $9,600 (who saw the truck before the AIG inspector) so I don't think they're too expensive based on my recent experience. My salesman at Land Rover of Chantilly immediately suggested that the truck be worked on by D&V as well as t"hey were the best body shop in the DMV."

gt1995 likes this.
  18. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    Sterling Motorcars and Maserati of Arlington(same owner as FOW) use a body/paint shop in Lorton as well, I was referred by them.

19. Caphill

Caphill Karting

Nov 9, 2016
    I'm still mulling this. The quotes are roughly 3k, 7k, and 15k. I have to dig a little deeper to see what the differences are.

20. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    WagonWorks in Alexandria used to be top notch.
    You could also go further out to Karrossiere in PA