430 - Anyone Own Both a Scuderia and a ’05-’06 Ford GT? | FerrariChat

430 Anyone Own Both a Scuderia and a ’05-’06 Ford GT?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Shark01, Oct 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Going through all the gyrations of which would be the better car to own from all aspects. Drove both of them on the same day in 2012, but didn’t push the GT like I did the Scuderia (nervous owner in the passenger seat) so didn’t get a fair comparison. Pretty much have the cash to buy a sub $200k Scuderia today, would need another couple of years to get one of the lower priced GTs ($250k)….assuming no recession upcoming.

From a bench racer prospective, here are the pluses for each:

Ford GT
    More HP out of the box
    More expandable (pulley set, larger supercharger)
    Lower maintenance cost

Scuderia
    Lighter
    Handles better
    Less money to purchase

Gear Box is kind of a push for me (have a forever gated trans and never owned a newer type automatic). And while this isn’t the case with a lot of those here, value retention (not appreciation) is a big deal for me.

So I’d like to know what your experience is with the two cars….thanks

2. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

value retention = Ford GT

Skidkid and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  3. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    no crystall ball here...but the ford gt is a 150k car that's 300k today, while the scud is a 300k car that's 180k today. While the scud may not have yet bottomed out in value, I am also not sure if the ford gt has much more room to go. Just a few years ago the FGT is a low 200s car. With the coming recession, really hard to say where it's going

CarbonDan likes this.
  4. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

No crystal ball but your calling an upcoming recession?........hmmmm.

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    A few weeks behind in the mainstream news cycle apparently.

6. Loucho26

Loucho26 Rookie

May 19, 2019
    New york
    Full Name:
    Anzelmo giovanniello
    Ford =found on road dead

7. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ

I don’t watch CNN

8. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    How does it drive compared to your other cars?

10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Very analogue, very smooth, very dangerous on slick roads (just don't).

She's a pretty girl that will bite hard if you let her. Very much like a Porsche CGT. A WONDERFUL car!

Mark

Dewinator and Shark01 like this.
  11. SlowScud

SlowScud Karting

Oct 10, 2019
    Texas
    I don’t know if Scuds will ever be collectible but I kind of see them as the last of the true Ferrari. New stuff is technically good but the quirks and raw nature have been refined away to some extent.

I vote Scud but definitely biased. Love GTs too.

LARRYH likes this.
  12. lewishou

lewishou Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    Atherton, CA
    I own a 05 Ford GT (5 years) and just purchased a Scuderia 2 weeks ago in addition. The two cars cannot be more different in how they approach performance and how they make you feel. I love them both. I have driven 4000 miles in the Ford so I am used to the limited visibility and the width of the car. Driving the GT feels like an event because of how low you are to the ground, the low end torque, slick 6 speed transmission with super light clutch and the cool gauge cluster layout. The Scuderia sounds awesome at high RPM, has an interior that looks and smells expensive, and excellent visibility. In my opinion, the two complement each other very well.

Ford GT
    More HP out of the box: Yes, but it is the torque advantage that makes it feel fast with normal driving. I think the Scud will be slightly faster in all out acceleration at lower speed due to the transmission and power to weight ratio. Top end, I think the GT would win.

More expandable (pulley set, larger supercharger): This is true, but I am not sure nowadays with ridiculous cars like 720s, GT2RS, Pista, and Tesla that it even makes sense to modify these cars to keep up. I used to own some very high power cars, but I am now becoming more appreciative of the cars as they are from the factory. OK, may be one day I will add a pulley and tune to the GT for $1000 and gain 100 HP...

Lower maintenance cost: This is true in that parts are typically cheaper and often times shared with other Fords. However, it is still not easy to find a local Ford dealer that you would trust working on these cars, especially non mechanical parts.

Scuderia
    Lighter: It may be lighter, but to me driving them back to back, the GT does not feel that much heavier.
    Handles better: Very subjective. The steering is a little sharper in the Scuderia, but at high speed the GT is very stable and poised
    Less money to purchase: Yes, but probably cost more to own.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, mchas, Oengus and 2 others like this.
  13. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I'm glad, I was referring to kiryu since the talking heads abandoned the recession topic after it fell flat a few weeks and moved on to other BS....but don't want to get into P&R.

Texasrecurve, kes7u and Oengus like this.
  14. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    As I recollect the base price on the Ford GT was around $120,000. I saw a silver one, at the San Francisco Auto show circa 2005 and my first reaction was "Interesting but can't come close to the original GT" It is a nice car and am amazed on how the value on these cars shot upward. Then again not many were made.

Do appreciate the insights from individuals who own both the Ferrari and the GT. This type of information can't be found in a book :)

Need4Spd likes this.
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Base price was $139,995 and with all 4 options $156,595. They made 4,034 units from '05 to '06. I think they wanted to make 5,000 units but sales started to slow down so they stopped.

efg2014 likes this.
  16. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    lewishou likes this.
  17. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Don't forget;

Ford=found on rubbish dumps.

Ford=fix or repair daily.

Ford lovers might say...Ford=first on race day...but I don't think so.

18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Well I decided to compromise.....bought a Ford GT for the price of a Scuderia. Two great cars.....

Need4Spd likes this.
  19. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Pics?

20. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    C50, Oengus and Manda racing like this.
  21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I may have a bit of a “man cave” but what I don’t have is a Ford GT. That’s beautiful.

Shark01 likes this.
  22. CarAholic

CarAholic Formula Junior

May 10, 2016
    Congratulations on the GT and nice diablo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shark01 likes this.
  23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Thanks guys, the two cars are a result of 15 years of sweat equity......over 3,000 hours of overtime (Mechanical Engineer), 2nd jobs, 3rd jobs, selling stuff on ebay, not going out to lunches, selling vacation time back to my employer, lots of Top Ramen Tuesdays. And the crazyest part of all, doing it again, albeit with a much smaller target (new daily driver).....unless I can find more garage space LOL

I'll post all the details on acquiring the GT in the American section in the next week......the GT market is really crazy fast, I was lucky to find a decent honest driver grade car for the money I paid.

Flea7 and LARRYH like this.
  24. lewishou

lewishou Rookie

Jun 7, 2008
    Atherton, CA
    Congratulations! Looking forward to some side by side pictures of the two cars. Always puts things in perspective.

25. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I would to capaitalize on your work searching and see the market first hand

What would be a good price to buy one owner blue 2005 with 5k miles .. excellent condition

Appreciate your thoughts

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk