2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2020 Barcelona Testng: Feb. 19th - 21st & Feb. 26th - 28th

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    paulchua and G. Pepper like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nice to see testing live! F1 is back :)

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
  4. senyah

senyah Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Not too long...

DGPF likes this.
  5. bmagni

bmagni Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    3 hrs into the pre-season and it's already decided. These are truly experts, the same ones that last year were saying Ferrari was above the rest...

furoni, stavura, jcurry and 2 others like this.
  6. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #56 ktu, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Don't read into that, come Melbourne, Leclerc gonna be squeezing the throttle on that red rocket

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Gary Anderson said we suck.

Finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

furoni, senyah and tifosi12 like this.
  8. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Day 1 wraps up....and, well, I'm glad testing doesn't mean anything! Ferrari is supposed to be bringing upgrades to Australia at least.

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The whole state of F1 today SUCKS!!!

05011994, Sharknose and G. Pepper like this.
  10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I know you can’t read much into it all, but really nice to see Williams in the mix and out going the business!!!!

subirg and G. Pepper like this.
  11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I must say that I probably wouldn't even follow F1 anymore without you guys and the great and fun coverage here. So thanks! :)

Still hoping for at least a decent season with a few podiums.

Nortonious likes this.
  12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    3 hours? What took him so long...:D

bmagni likes this.
  13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Apparently the baby Stroll-er (aka Racing Point) is a MB clone. This could mean great things for Perez and give him chances for podium finishes.

And it will allow Lance Stroll to run 4th until he looses the car. :)

DGPF, DF1, Nortonious and 1 other person like this.
  14. senyah

senyah Rookie

Jul 22, 2019
    Yes, it's only Day 1 of testing but I wish I could have a piece of this optimism...

So far, we have learnt that Mercedes have:
    (a) Redesigned the sidepods that everyone else had done already.
    (b) Managed their engine to run at a higher temperature to mitigate cooling issues that affected them last year
    (c) An overhaul of the rear suspension to increase DF, something no one else has touched on.

Max came out saying that they have improved everything that they wanted to, and have to test all these pieces to fit the puzzle.

Us? Yeah, Ferrari have said that they will have an upgrade package for Australia. If this is a season where Ferrari are to underpromise and overdeliver, the stage has been set quite well; mind winter testing time is 25% down from last year.

15. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  16. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Redbull will be strong, still Ferrari has way more, going at their own pace so far

jcurry likes this.
  17. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    hahahaha, Vettel unwell....

Oh yeah? What else is new?

DGPF likes this.
  19. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  20. DF1

DGPF likes this.
  21. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148333/leclerc-lowly-test-position-reflects-ferrari-approach

Charles Leclerc says the Ferrari Formula 1 team has adjusted its approach to pre-season testing after finishing the opening day of 2020 running at Barcelona only 11th fastest.

Leclerc, who received a call from Ferrari at 6.45am to replace his unwell team-mate Sebastian Vettel for the opening day of the test, completed 131 laps on the day but was over a second down on Mercedes pacesetter Lewis Hamilton - though he did set his best time on a harder tyre than the reigning champion.

This was in stark contrast to the first day of testing last year, when Vettel set the pace, before Leclerc himself went quickest on day two.

But Ferrari's strong showing at Barcelona last year did not translate to the start of the season that had been expected, and Leclerc admitted the team is consciously holding off on performance work this time.

"We changed a little bit our approach compared to last year," Leclerc said.

"Last year testing was great but the first race was a bit less great.

"I think we've learned a few things on this, and this year we decided to focus more on ourselves, trying to learn the car as much as possible in these first few days, and then focus on performance a bit later on.

"We'll see if that pays off."

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Leclerc added that Wednesday's work was "more about correlating the numbers from the factory and the track", which means it mostly benefits engineers and that the drivers "don't learn much" about how competitive Ferrari is.

"Still, driving a new car, I still try to push at the limit of the car," he continued.

"We haven't pushed the car, but I'm pushing myself to try and know this car better.

"So, the more laps that we do with it, the more confident I'll arrive in Melbourne, so on that side, on the driving side, I've learned a lot, and then the different tests we've performed, I think they've been very positive."

Leclerc suggested Ferrari is unlikely to copy Mercedes' 2019 tactic and bring a considerably different car to the second week of testing.

Asked whether the SF1000 has accomplished team principal Mattia Binotto's stated aim of prioritising downforce compared to its predecessor, Leclerc said: "It's quite difficult to see that at the moment.

"Of course I feel quite quick in the corners, but it's always difficult to compare one year to the other.

"I think the good benchmark will be at the first race when the tyres will be in the right window.

"It's still very cold now, and the downforce has quite a big effect on tyres.

"So it's all about having the aero that puts the tyres in the right window. And for now we can't really know, so we just focus on ourselves."

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    AMuS

Ferrari was running low power engine modes & high fuel loads all day, according to our information. So lap times are not representative.

stavura, G. Pepper and Nortonious like this.
  23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Leclerc: “Ferrari changed its spproacb this year”

Yes they sat around at Maranello and said to each other “we don’t want to be fast. That would really be bad.”

DGPF likes this.
  24. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Which can you trust more?

Ferrari explaining why they are starting slow or

China explaining how many have corona virus?

DGPF likes this.