Several lights on dash on 2010 California | FerrariChat

Several lights on dash on 2010 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Michael Overton, Feb 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Michael Overton

Feb 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Overton
    Driving yesterday and the power was cut back and Manettino failure appeared on the dash followed by the lights and notices of "CST system failure" and "AVH system failure". When I cut the car off and turned it back on an additional light of "Engine Control system failure" appeared. Have any of you experience this? Any suggestions?

2. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    Anytime you get 2 or more error codes at once. I suggest first checking the battery. Personally for me, I got 2 of the error codes you stated on my California T. CST and AVH always together when randomly starting the car. I decided to change the battery and all was good.

Also, what trickle charge you use? Is it the Ferrari model that came with the car? If so I suggest getting a Ctek model, either 5.0 or 7002. The Ferrari trickle chargers are unfortunately horrible at maintaining batteries, specially AGM ones.

So in short, I suggest before doing anything you first check the battery.

tomc likes this.
  3. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly what Andrew said. Do you always keep your Cali on the battery conditioner? How often do you drive it? How old is your battery?
    T

4. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Yes to the battery replacement and switching to Ctek 5.0. Had all sorts of false alarms, new battery and Ctek a year ago, no problems since

5. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Make sure you wait for the three beeps that signify the check is complete after you turn the key — before hitting the start button. If you twist the key and hit the button right away the various ECUs can get confused and you can get a bunch of errors that won’t recur ... mannetino, etc.

The battery is a common issue, though.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Good point. I turn the key, wait 5 seconds (just enough time to check my hair in the rear view mirror! ), then punch the red button...T

7. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    If you get a “System not programmed error” message then an ECU is down and no amount of battery charges or changes will put that one right.
    I got all the messages that you had, turned out to be the mannetino ECU going bad which is a new steering wheel or a replacement from EBay or similar.
    The auto wiper rain sensor also stopped working along with the daylight sensor.
    £700.00 to ebay and £350 to Ferrari for re programming and diagnostic later everything is all good

Cheers

8. PROV

PROV Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Middlesbrough, UK
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I think it's a ctek under the Ferrari wrapping. The newer ones have more bells and whistles, like the model 7002, and are what I replaced mu old one with a few years back when I also replaced the original battery...T

10. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg

I totally agree here with one add...buy a code reader. I get the stupid P0491 & 2 codes which throw out the same alerts you described and I clear them. If nothing else it will bring you piece of mind to know what is happening and if you are concerned you can call your mechanic and be able to tell him exactly what you see. A really good one is $65.00USD.

11. Michael Overton

Feb 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Overton
    I drive it probably once a month but I always keep it on the conditioner. I just ordered the CTEC 7002 so we'll see if that changes things. I was going to disconnect the battery and put it on a standard trickle charge before reconnecting and then see if it's still happening. I appreciate everyone's response!

Andrew Pour likes this.
  12. Michael Overton

Feb 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Overton
    where do you get the code reader? Any particular brand or model number?

13. Andrew Pour

Andrew Pour Karting

Oct 7, 2019
    How old is your battery?

14. Michael Overton

Feb 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Michael Overton
    i have no idea. just got the car last January

15. Joshman0531

Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
  16. Joshman0531

Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    In the event folks are wondering what these ports look like or where they are, here ya go! They are tiny little ports. Bill @ Maranello Motorworks here in the Denver area is working on a Cali and called me to come check out what has been aggravating me for so long.

Attached Files:

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Josh...is that the odb2 port in your picture? Whereabouts in the Cali us it?
    T

18. Michael McGuire

Sep 26, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael McGuire
    Just had this happen. Took it to the dealership. It was a sensor failure. Replaced it and no problems since. $2K including labor.

19. Joshman0531

Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    Those are the secondary air injection ports on a cali head. Those ports get clogged and cause the 0491 & 0492 errors. They are really small.