98 355F1 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

98 355F1

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lvite, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    They both are crappy flappy paddles.

No ego here, I assumed you have one.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Not even close to the same 'flappy paddle' system right? Dual clutch something something...versus, uh dunno...
    Not to mention one is a Ferrari system and one is a Lambo system

If you are going to come on here and put down the F1 system on a 355, at least try and pretend to know what kind it is. ;)

No interest in the 640. I do have a soft spot for the 560 though.
    Putting that kind of money in a car isn't for me...If I am going to write a check like that it better have flaps, de-ice and retractable gear.

taz355 likes this.
  3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Whenever I go to shops I see them all and less 355s than the rest. Mostly I see a good sample of all.
    Last time I was at a shop I saw everything from a Dino on up through the 308,355 mine in for engine mount replacement, 360,430 and 458.
    I think they all have issues.
    Mostly I think it depends on the level of upkeep on the cars(all of them).

4. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Obviously you don’t have the skills to drive it properly.

5. Sami

Sami Karting

Jan 28, 2012
    Perhaps, but that doesn’t negate the fact that they are problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I find a lot of these comments funny because they are based mostly on feelings and not on fact. Everyone all ways blames the cars.
    Similarity but different where I am from right now the drivers are blaming the city for their poor driving because they are getting stuck or crashing.
    Would this be the cars fault or the cities fault, I don’t think so but many disagree.

For those of you ever looking for these cars the f1 is really not the problems in general, it’s usually the other things which by the way happen with many Ferrari’s
    I have noticed the f1 cars that get driven more tend to do better.
    Take it from someone who has owned one for over 15 years the f1 gives way less problems than many other things, but I don’t complain about those either.
    I have spend 1000 times more time doing engine outs for belts than the time spent fixing f1 problems.
    Mostly what I have seen is the f1 system actually works quite good until it does not, and many people do not see the signs so it leaves them stranded.
    I have both received and offered a lot of good info on the system on fchat and if you Understand the system you tend to see the signs before a disaster occurs.
    I have owned both and only kept the f1 because for me it was better.

7. ///criss

///criss Rookie

Jan 1, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Cristopher

Sounds like the one I recently drove. message me with your experience.

8. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Anything mechanical can be problematic. I think the biggest issue is the mechanic’s that don’t really know how to work on the system and it’s 25-year-old technology. Wasn’t trying to be rude to you earlier but I just get tired of hearing the same thing over and over when I don’t think it’s true

9. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I owned an F1 355. I now own a manual 355. I don’t track my cars. There is no chance I will ever own an F1 again. I can understand people who track their cars wanting an F1.

Sami likes this.
  10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I understand what your saying as well and like you I had a stick and got the f1 instead. Just like it better.
    At least we all love the best looking sounding car. I am sure we can agree on that!!

Sami and Mmckee like this.
  11. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I wouldn't let an F1 deter me from buying a unique spec F355 if it came across my table but after owning one for a little while, I would prefer the manual just because I like working on my cars myself and the F1 system gets to a point where you need the diagnostic equipment to go any further.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    A couple of happy (F1) chappies... :D

bcar1 likes this.
  13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    great review

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This is a fact, well stated and non arguable. As an F1 lover I bought the Galileo as I figured 5 grand was a good investment since I was keeping the car long term. In the last year I have used it a few times for other things as well and justified it since well over a decade ago I spent just as much on the tubi headers.
    I felt it was a good investment.

15. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    It's 5 grand? I thought it was 20...but that's the SD2 etc?

I plan on buying another 355. I also have the 550 so I'll probably end up investing in the system regardless in the near future.

Does the Galileo do everything the SD does?

16. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I am no expert by any means on the Leonardo or Galileo see Nik at forza.
    I bought a Galileo because it will do the 355. An Sd like many of the pros on here have is likely better because of the complexity I have seen but like most machines is only as good as the operator.
    Others who have both would better answer but I would say no. But it will do many of the things you need. Where I see it falls short is it can not break things down as much this would in turn cause a diagnosis to take longer. For me labor is cheap but for a business I think I would rather my tech have an Sd because he would likely be able to diagnose quicker thus costing me less.
    I should qualify that though because all techs are not equal as we have all seen.
    In my opinion a very smart tech with a Galileo may be quicker than an not as experienced tech with an sd so many factors would come into it.

All the things that you need for the car to function can be done with the Galileo but an example would be you can not test the heater motor or wiring with the Galileo.

17. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Poorly maintained, junk cars are a pain to deal. Quality, well maintained cars, regardless of their type, are superb experiences.

18. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    My F1 works perfectly and has been no problem over the past 5 years. It’s a well cared for car with a competent tech.

Rossocorsa1 likes this.
  19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Well said. I can say the same for mine. It's well maintained by an expert technician, and I care for my cars a great deal.

It should be noted that the 355 F1 system was a revolutionary technological leap for the entire high-end automotive market, and it represented a historical transition for Ferrari. Relative to the manual option, which for good reason is also very desired, the F1 is significantly rarer and, in my opinion, will become the more coveted option in the long run for the reasons I've mentioned above, and because few in younger generations have any clue how to drive a manual.

Skippr1999 likes this.