360 - Overheating Issue - Heat Exchanger or something else? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Overheating Issue - Heat Exchanger or something else?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Adomowitz360, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fotostars

fotostars Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2015
    Bay Area
    I replaced mine (preventively) through the engine access panel. It’s filthy but doable. Most likely less time than taking the intake plenum off.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. sierra055

sierra055 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 25, 2016
    Melbourne, AU
    Full Name:
    Marshall
    Is it just me, or does there seem to be a few of these failures being posted of late?
    Good luck to the OP, hopefully you've caught it early and before any damage done

3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  4. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    The cars are getting older and it's going to happen.

5. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Parts are ordered and go in on Friday. Should know more after that.

They are telling me to replace the spark plugs as well when they are in there. Any reason not to do that? Also having them do the thermostat and checking the water pump.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    When ever I do a belt service on a 360, I remove the thermostat cover/thermostat and inspect the condition of the heat exchanger with a borescope camera. You have to drain the coolant and remove the coolant hoses for the belt service. It only adds another 15 minutes to inspect the heat exchanger, so I don't understand why other shops don't look at it during a belt service. I have saved a couple of owners the agony/expense of a heat exchanger leaking on them.

It must have started leaking after the belt service, or the technician surely would have seen the coolant in the transmission oil when he drained it.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

Need4Spd and Penzinger like this.
  7. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    What are the tell tail signs to look for on the heat exchanger core ? Or do you remove and pressure test ?

8. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    My understanding is the heat exchange fails due to corrosion. You could do a pressure test, it passes, but if corroded could still fail the next day or next week.
    If it fails a pressure test meaning it is leaking then you should see oil in your coolant reservoir tank, and will see your gearcase oil look like a milky coffee when you drain it

9. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Is there any recommendation on how frequently after the repair you re-flush the transaxle fluid? They mentioned they caught mine early and after a couple flushes it was clear. They went through all the gears a few times and then flushed it again with no debris found. I was thinking of driving it 100 miles or so and flushing it again to be safe but wanted to see if if that sounds like too soon or not long enough?

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Getting the gear box clean is the easy part. Getting the cooling system clean is another matter. Typically 3 or 4 flushes with cheap oil in the trans will do it I just run it on the hoist for a couple of minutes each flush.

Adomowitz360 likes this.
  11. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
    Good to know. I believe they only flushed that once so probably should have them do more investigation there. Any recommendations for that process?

12. Adomowitz360

Adomowitz360 Rookie

Dec 16, 2019
    Full Name:
    Adam Burke
  13. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    Instead of flushing my coolant I just drove the car a little bit. When the system heated, the sludge would become loose and float to the top of the coolant resevoir, then I'd pump it out, take off the resevoir and spray it out, top it up, and drive some more. Mine failed before I got the car so there was a bit to get out. There is still a 2 foot circle in my yard where the grass doesn't grow from rinsing it out. It's probably not the fastest or most efficient way, but it was easy and got the job done.