Did Montezemolo make the best Fcars? | FerrariChat

Did Montezemolo make the best Fcars?

Discussion in '612/599' started by George Vosburgh, Feb 11, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

It is said that when Montezemolo took over as head of Ferrari he owned a 348 which he said was the worst car he ever owned. I hope we can all agree that the quality of the cars under his direction improved tremendously while maintaining cutting edge style and performance. So now we have this new generation of cars which are made more economically and with very advanced technology, but what about the quality? I have heard from professionals that the cars do not hold together and the prices to fix them are absurd.
    I'm not looking to start a fight here but I am wondering if anyone else feels this way or if they have experience to the contrary.

Thoughts?

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Perhaps not only Montezemolo formed this era, perhaps Schumacher too.

Daniel

Tifosi Dude, SonomaRik and Caphill like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    People like to rewrite history all the time. LdM was the best (for me he was also the one who screwed up big time with Maserati), and the current Ferrari cars (starting with the 488) are crap...
    LdM left Ferrari in October 2014, and the 488 was publicly unveiled in February 2015. Which means that the 488 was definitely commissionned under LdM's tenure. Since the Pista and F8 are closely derived from the 488, and the 812 is closely derived from the F12, the only real new generation car (post LdM) is the SF90 Stradale and it has still to reach customers.

SonomaRik likes this.
  4. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    valid points: all.

and let's narrow this down to specific items as I'm still a dreamer for a 60's 'something' and the prices are looking good.

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think Ferrari has generally done well under a firm hand, and less well under "corporate" leadership. Enzo, of course, was a classically firm hand, and after he passed (and even a few years before), the company sort of drifted. LdM came in and was another firm hand, like him or hate him, and the company and the products did very well. What happens going forward, who knows... I think they are still carrying through LdM's vision, but not for much longer.

The "firm hand" approach is not only applicable to personal vision and leadership, but also the people who the leader brings in. That's what really shapes the outcome.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    in what sense?

7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    There is no doubt in my mind that the two towering figures responsible for the legend of Ferrari are:
    1. Ferrari
    2. LdM

8. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    The newer cars are much more reliable than the LdM era cars (He was still at Ferrari as the car's quality began to improve and he certainly had a big hand in improving quality). I am confident LdM would agree that Ferrari cars today are more reliable than ever before. There is a reason why Ferrari offers some type of warranty for up to 15 years now on all their cars now and 7 years of free service too. I am around pre-LdM, LdM and post Ldm Ferrari's every day and there really is no comparison in terms of build quality.

All that being said LdM is my hero. He is why I love the brand - as most of my favorite Ferrari's tend to be from the era when he was running the company. I hope at some point there will be a chance for him to come back to Ferrari in some capacity.

Makuono and George Vosburgh like this.
  9. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    From 1997 to 2006 Ferrari was controlling Maserati (by the decision of Fiat) and instead of developping it (which would have allowed to grow the Ferrari-Maserati group without diluting Ferrari's exclusivity) it let it stagnate (failing to have Maserati sales numbers higher than Ferrari's, in spite of models positioned on lower market segments) until Fiat eventually decided to take Maserati back to build a luxury branch with Alfa Romeo. Ferrari's missed opportunity with Maserati is what led to the current situation where Ferrari needs to increase its sales numbers with the risk of brand dilution, because they do not have other development options now.

George Vosburgh and Makuono like this.