What did you have for lunch today? | Page 80 | FerrariChat

What did you have for lunch today?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Aug 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Cool. Thanks Ron. They sound like fava beans. We're Sicilian, and fava beans are considered good luck. So, I ate a lot of them growing up...T

2. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I was playing electrician today so missed lunch. Can’t wait for dinner.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  4. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Returned to 50 Kalo today. Been craving this place since we first went last month...it was freakin' fantastic again. If in London and love good pizza, consider trying it...(their original store is still there in Naples too).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

tomc and NbyNW like this.
  5. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Tried a place from my "must try while in London list" today...called Bao. It was only 'okay'. Different and decent, but not worth going back for.

I had:

- Fried Chicken "chop", served with a spicy red sauce that you mix the raw egg yoke into
    - Rice bowl with pork belly and smoked/fermented egg
    - Pork Bao bun with braised pork and a peanut butter powder
    - Chili Crab Bao bun with roe of some sort on top (sorta gross actually)

NbyNW likes this.
  6. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    NbyNW likes this.
  7. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Fun to try those places. We should do more of that - find “highly rated” places and decide for ourselves. Some of that looks pretty tasty.

8. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    yeah, I do a lot of web surfing research and triangulate on places that get good marks from different types of reviewers (professionals, foodies, magazines, consumer) and then try the ones that have something I find interesting. I actually started my London list before April 2019 when we came on her job search. So I've gotten a fair ways down the list, but still adding a few even today and I'd say I have ~20 more to try (plus a few places to return to).

When I was in PHX, I did extensive, ahem, "research" on various genres; tacos, pizza, burgers...and then try 6-12 places and see for myself which ones I like. Similarly I've made a few food trips to Nola and to Texas for BBQ, and Rome, Italy I'm starting to develop a small list for. Gives me something to do in retirement.

9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nice hobby. It’s tough for us because we rarely eat out. We have awesome food at home. Still, it’d be nice to explore.

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    NbyNW likes this.
  11. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I try to eat out for lunch each day (it gives me someplace to go if I otherwise don't have an activity). But we love to cook and we generally eat dinner at home unless its theater or opera or date night out. It also varies with where we are...in London, the only redeeming value of being here is the great variety of restaurants. In Wyoming, there are only 3-4 places to eat within an hour of my house, so we only eat dinner out perhaps 1x per month when there. Scottsdale is somewhere in-between those two extremes.

NbyNW likes this.
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sure it will be good, but no idea what that is. That’s the soon to-be plate? Then eat it too!? Awesome.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yes will be the plate then you eat it also

Its fried puffed pork belly, taste like bacon nice crispy and airy of thats a word
    When it gets soaked with food juice its amazing

NbyNW likes this.
  14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

When we lived in Richmond we ate out all the time. Great food town and we could walk all over The Fan District. So many good restaurants a short walk away.

Now we’re in an area that’s pretty weak for restaurants plus we have to drive to them. But tons of good grocery stores close by so we shop well and eat at home.

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    There's a Jollibee in Vegas. We thought it was pretty good. The chicken is OK. The winner is the mango peach pie! .

T

16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Chicharon as a serving plate!
    What did they put on it?
    T

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    You need to hook up with AzIt on one of his foodie tours! I warn you, though, bring a spare stomach!
    T

NbyNW likes this.
  18. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Going to do it tomorrow
    Shrimp, beans rice salsa pork all kids of mexican foods

arizonaitalian and tomc like this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Pictures please!
    T

20. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Smokey Beef and cheese from Schlotzsky's. It's a good sandwich to have once in a while.

21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Check back in 6 hours and let us know if it's still a good idea!
    T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Still good. Why?

23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That's about how long these things take to make it through the digestive tract! Last time I ate lunch at a fast food place, Wendy's, I was good for the first 6 or 7 hours. After that, I was hating life @ cursing the free coupon that led to my predicament!

T

24. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Lol.

25. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #2000 arizonaitalian, Feb 20, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    tried another "internet buzzy" place today...

Its in one of the ubiquitous (and imho played-out and tediously pretentious) "upscale food hall" places that are all the rage in London. Talk about trying too hard to be cool...there are literally an infestation of these places. Some are still cool because they did not go upscale - like Old Spitalfield's in shoreditch.

But the place I went today was like a Starbucks designer ran amok with a big amount of cash (1). Mostly empty, sterile nordic-themed, with man-bun's working on laptops. Ugh...I nearly turned around and left, but since I'd traveled all that way, I stayed and had a solid lunch - albeit expensive at $28 and that with solely water to drink.

Went to the Tou sando (god I hate when people call a sandwich a 'sando'. Can you even say 'sando' without including the words "where's my sando dude"?)

Had a Katsu sando (shoot me) made from braised and then fried pork neck and served on toasted brioche. Not bad (how could it be with those ingredients?). Served with some prawn chips and some pickles and a bottle of water for $28.

(1) I shyte you not, this is what it says on the website:

"Arcade is a unique, all-day food theatre bringing London’s top food and drink concepts together under one roof . WE ARE FOOD THEATRE. While we’ve always been inspired by food markets and the communities they create, we see ourselves a little bit differently. Food markets and food halls comprise some of our favourite spots, and we love the way they showcase a city’s culinary offering while creating interaction and engagement. More than anything, we love the accessible platform these spaces create for diverse talent to come together and thrive. While we’ve drawn a lot of inspiration from the concept of a food market, we wanted to create a platform where the theatrical elements of chef-led, destination dining are further elevated - not only through our seven open kitchens and communal seating encouraging interaction and engagement, but also through music, art & design. The result is food theatre: a platform where the experimental is celebrated, the unexpected is embraced, and no two experiences are ever the same."

I feel compelled to add I did not visit their website nor read this before I went...I likely would not have gone. Only looked this up when I got home because I just knew it would say stuff like this...I think I need to go to a small-town BBQ place in Texas or a taco joint in Phoenix to wash away the pretentiousness and experience "real" again...hmmm, actually all I have to do is go get some Indian food in any one of hundreds of places in Southall.

Oh, lastly - I use the word "pretentious" advisedly - I'm not unaware of the high degree of irony that comes from me accusing something of being pretentious...this place deserves the label even coming from me:)