V12 Lusso... Is there a better 4 seater? | FerrariChat

V12 Lusso... Is there a better 4 seater?

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by BrntRubber, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I am letting my 2019 GT3 RS WP go after much debate. I want something with rear seats that can accommodate my 4 and 6 year old comfortably. They haven’t been able to enjoy a single car of mine (all 2 seaters) together and I want some family fun.

I am looking for a car that has already taken most of the depreciation hit. I found a 2017 Lusso V12 with 10k miles in a lovely spec at £155k vs it’s new price of £292k.

Nero Daytona on cream with Panoramic Roof, Lift, JBL, front lift, passenger display, scud shields, carbon led wheel, etc. The only thing it doesn’t have is much carbon trim, but I can live with that.

1) Anything to look out for on the Lusso’s or must have options? Any questions to ask the dealer?

2) The car has 1 year warranty left. Is it worth extending? Should this be part of my negotiation with the dealer?

3) Is 10k mikes too much for a Lusso? I will put 2k to 3k a year on it and will keep it for around 2 to 3 years before letting her go.

4) Advice on the best bang for buck with the exhaust? Want her to sing when in sport and being pushed hard but still pleasant at slow speeds or when in wet.

5) Are there any 4 seaters you would choose over a Lusso? I think I have explored all options but just being thorough.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

2. marky1

marky1 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Must have includes pano roof as far as I usually read so having that seems a good start. Good price hey, bet you can get it a bit lower too. Original owner may have got a discount so keep that in mind. Maybe 10%

3. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    The black on cream car is proving hard to negotiate on. They won’t go below £158k

4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    It’s worth extending the 3year manufacturer’s warranty for another two years when the time comes. What you get is the new car warranty extension which is much more comprehensive than the New Power warranty.

Are you buying from a franchised dealer? If so, I think there should be 2 years warranty as standard.

If you plan on putting 9k miles on it before you sell, then it’ll have 19k on it at sale time. The U.K. is a mileage sensitive market but you should be fine as cars are deemed to be ‘high’ mileage in the U.K. once they hit 25k.

Be warned though; the Lusso is so useable that you’ll want to drive it all the time so you could easily blow through your self imposed mileage limit.

There are no other 4 seaters which compare in terms of driving experience.

5. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    Thank you for the help!

The dealer I am considering buying the black car from is an authorised Ferrari service center, but not an authorised Ferrari dealer from what I can tell.

They said I can extend the warranty when there is 1 month left which is June 2021. They didn’t specify if it was power or the new car warranty if extended further.

I would prefer having the comfort of a long warranty from now.

I normally don’t keep my cars for too long but with no more V12 4 seaters from Ferrari and little else out there that compares, this might be a family car that we keep for a long while.

My 2 boys would love this car!

Another car just came across my inbox that my local authorised Ferrari dealer is taking in in the next week. It had an eye watering list of £340k. Colour is Blu Helen which I have never seen and interior is black leather with blue alcantara and blue stitching... CF everything and almost all other options. Renders attached.

I would normally go black and cream if I specced my own car and this black one has all the key options.

This blue one however is 1 year newer half the miles and £45k more options. They are asking £17.5k more than the blue one.

Attached Files:

6. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Presumably you mean that the blue one is going for 17.5k more than the black one. That's a bargain for a year newer and half the miles, not to mention the extra options. However that interior is a pretty unique spec, I'd wanna see it in person before passing judgment, but I'm guessing that's why its cheaper. The Blu Helen is a triple layer paint, I've never seen that blue in person, in fact I've only ever seen pics of an F12 with it. The triple layer paints can look amazing though. If you like the color combination, I'd go with that car, however keep in mind it will probably be harder to sell than a more standard color combination.

The only other 4-seater I'd consider would be the Porsche Taycan Turbo.

7. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Here are pictures of the Blu Helen Lusso you're interested in. It looks stunning and I love the interior. For me, Ferraris are about the individualism you can get beyond what the luxury german manufacturers offer. This Lusso beats Black over crema any day. I believe it was an HROwen Atelier car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    BrntRubber....I have a '16 RS, a 5 and 2 year old, and a Lusso...same story, sold my 458 becuase it just sat there, as does the RS now for the most part....the Lusso is absolutely by far the best money I've ever spent on a car....ridiculously expensive, ridiculous depreciation, but the smiles on the kids are priceless and nothing out there even comes close when it comes to a 4 seater....this car is a very long term keeper for me as the only option in my book is the AM Superleggera....gorgeous car but turbo's don't excite me....

Kline catback exhaust for about $10K installed was also money well spent....car sounds epic...

I had a PTU fail so I would say get the warranty but other opinions may differ....mine was under warranty but would hate to know what it would cost after....I'll be extending mine....ask the dealer for an extra year of Power....it's about $5700 ....

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I think your only option for the black car may be New power once the full warranty expires (judging by its age)

Normally, it would be the fully warranty extension for an extra two years that you want, not New Power Warranty. And you need to renew for two years after the original 3 expire because if you only renew for one, you can’t get the full warranty for another one after that - your only option becomes New Power which is nowhere near as comprehensive. I think that ship has sailed on the black car...

So buy the Blu Helen car. It’s younger and you can see if you bond with it before having to decide on the two year full warranty extension in 2021.

10. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    Yes, correct it is a typo.

Thabks for the advice and I will definitely checkout the Helen in the flesh. Resale is an important consideration.

Taycan is a no go for me as I don’t want an electric car yet.

How do you know about this car!?

Have you seen it in the flesh?

Thanks for chiming in.

This is so helpful in my decision making, Thank You!

Thanks, I need to see the Helen car in the flesh.

Guys,
    Is front lift standard or optional on the 2019 cars?

11. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    So I test drove the black car a couple hours ago.

Love the metallic black exterior. Mint condition and nice depth to it.

The interior was not cream, but rather Tortora, a mix between brown and cream. It wasn’t bad, but I didn’t love it. Lacked pop. Apart from that the cabin was great. I even sat in the back and found it comfy. The roof is cool too. I can see how loads of carbon accentuate the interior further.

I asked the salesman to start the car while I was standing outside. It sounded great. With a full exhaust or even an x-pipe I am sure I will be very happy with the sound.

Now onto my driving experience. Unfortunately, it was rush hour in London so I couldn’t push the car at all. Steering felt light compared to my 3RS, but I imagine it firms up at higher speeds. Liked the driving position, liked all the gadgets and the car feels a bit smaller than it actually is. Very comfortable.

When I did try and push the car I just got wheel spin as the tires were cold and the road a bit wet. I tried pushing her twice, once in comfort and once in sport with just wheel spin and traction control kicking in. Probably should have tried a third time in wet mode but salesman seemed uncomfortable. I don’t think test driving in London will help me gauge the driving experience to any sufficient degree. I am happy to rely on the comments made by you fine gentleman that it is great for a 4 seater and I very aware of how length and weight impacts a car.

So the search for the right car continues.

Apart from the Tortora interior, it was a nice overall experience. If it was cream I would have bought it.

Excited to see the Helen Blue car and potentially another black on cream car but it needs a big chop in price to work for me.

thanks again for all the help and keep the advice coming fellas :)

12. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If your two boys are regularly going to be in the back, do not buy any Lusso/FF without a panoramic roof. If you doubt this, just take a test drive in one with them in the back and that will be the end of that debate! :D

13. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    Panoramic roofs only! That’s the plan bud and thanks!

14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Stick to looking for a Lusso when you have your kids in mind. I love the FF, but the Lusso has become much more enjoyable in the back. The FF was LOUD back there - not in a nice way, just damn loud tyre roar and everything.

Before you go too crazy on the exhaust, what about this for a start? https://www.tubistyle.it/tubi-style-valvetronic-exhaust-control-unit-with-by-pass-valves-drive-your-sound/?lang=en
    Then if anything, consider sticking with the stock boxes and add an X pipe and 200 cell cats. 200 cell cats should cause you no issues with sensors and with an X pipe, you should get a pretty good result for the cash. Fact is that if you're looking to change the sound the most for as little as possible, sport cats or test pipes will get you there quick. I suggest 200 cell cats as they are pretty trouble free. Pipes and even 100 cell cats, have a tendency to cause issues. But if you don't mind running something like this, https://capristoexhaust.com/product/obd-cel-delete/ a set of test pipes and an X along with a controller, will give you a big scream for the least money.

15. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I had CEL issues with 200 cell cats. Far from trouble free. Spacers with mini cats were the solution. Spent thousands in extra labor trying to figure it out. Kline wanted to do a tune but I refuse to risk the warranty....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Right

Forgot to mention spacers. What are the "mini cats"?

17. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Mini Cats are small catalysts which screw into the lambda sensor port. The lambda sensor is the screwed into the cat. In this way, the sensor sees a the value it's been programmed to expect with the OEM cats vs the 200 cell cats. It's a common fix to cure a CEL error.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00H9B0DX2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A3M3MB3SF9SHME&psc=1

I note that the Tubi controller has been around for a while but a forum search shows that nobody has reported back on it. It looks a lot smarter and classier than the Capristo valve controller. Do you have (or know anyone who does have) any experience of it?

Bamsefar and BrntRubber like this.
  18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Unfortunately no. I just think it looks like a really cool exhaust valve controller with the different modes. I'm sure it's a proper quality product as Tubi normally has that.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. esty1902

esty1902 Rookie

Jun 19, 2013
    I had a Lusso for 12 months when they first came out. The standard exhaust is definitely too quiet so went for a Novitec exhaust system with flap regulation (remote is where the cigarette lighter is) - totally transformed the car and was so anti-social! Loved it.

If you want a comfy GT the new conti is good but nothing beats a v12. I also invested in some winter tyres which were well worth the money - in sub 6 degrees the standard tyres are pretty useless whereas with the winter tyres on I drove to Scotland in minus temps and was hammering it past all manner of SUV's. Well worth the money

The market for Lusso's is such that there are some good deals to be had. For what its worth I think they will level at about 100K eventually so 150K for a car now is about right. It's worth that all day long (I miss mine but have a 812 and pista spider with Roma and SF90 coming so something has to give!)

My 2p's worth - the blue car is more sensible purchase as brand new but car looks better in black - totally personal preference.

Buy one and enjoy! Just get the pan roof, upgraded stereo, and passenger display. If you are missing any carbon bits you can retro on via main dealer

20. montpellier

montpellier Formula Junior

Aug 27, 2009
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Paul
    well if you like blue this is a no brainer for 17 k more. It is not tailor made but a 340k car, 5 k miles for 175 ! with I had done that. I thought I had done well at 18 months and a 310 k car at 200 with 6 k miles. In the end it is what you want, but the blue car is surprisingly low priced plus you should be at a 2 year warranty at a franchised dealer. Seems a little light on price to me, but hey . Just make sure Blue Helen is not something unusual. I have Tortora with CDF and love it, very exotic and everyone loves it, also had a black car with Tortora I sold to a Liverpool player (Maybe the car you saw...) . However if you have black and cream in your head and that is what you like, that is far more important than a few options. Lusso now selling well sub 200k so do not expect too many further bargains. Many black cars are not cream as not so practical for a more useable Ferrari. There are 300 out there so certain one will turn up to your spec. Novitec rear boxes, 5k and worth it. Though your neighbours may not agree

21. BrntRubber

BrntRubber Karting

Feb 18, 2020
    Full Name:
    Farris Alnaqeeb
    #21 BrntRubber, Feb 19, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Thanks for chiming in.

I am interested to see the Blue Helen car early next week.

May ideal spec is still black on cream or black on cuoio with loads of CF.

I am researching exhausts it seems Capristo, Kline and Novitec are the three main options. Anyone know the major differences between them?