Daytona 500 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Daytona 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by lorenzobandini, Feb 16, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    No.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Well, I'm sorry but I think you failed High School physics

There would also be no turning in the corners and the cars would actually try to stay level when on the banking. Then I'm not too sure you want a 100 lb weight spinning at 10,000 RPM on a axle when it hits a wall. Its a potential flying rotary saw.

3. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Any updates since the presser last night. I’ve been following on Twitter and haven’t seen anything new. Side note- twitter really is an electric sewer.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    The reason why Nascar crashes look big but normally do not do that much real harm is all the cars are pretty much going the same speed. Still a 50 MPH difference between them is significant.

In this case the cars hit at a vulnerable spot which made it worse.

The worst case situation is one car is stopped and the other is at full speed as what happened in last year at the Belgium GP.

Rifledriver likes this.
  5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I am hoping I am wrong but I worry about head or spine injuries. What we all want is a full and complete recovery.

Rifledriver likes this.
  6. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I agree. I saw some high def slow mos this morning and I still don’t see how he survived.

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Well there you have it exactly. It would not improve the out come. So, still No! :)

If a gyro was mounted in a fix position in a car, it would resist turning of the car, not prevent it, or any other action that would alter the direction of the car due, to the angular momentum of the gyro. Of course, the car already resists changing direction due to its linear momentum. Newton's Laws. Adding a gyro would simply change the way the car responded to those external forces. Still Newton's laws, but correctly applied to consider angular momentum as well as linear momentum. Simply put, it won't prevent the car from behaving erratically when subjected to erattica external forces. It will just behave differently.

Gyroscopes resist changing position because of angular moment as opposed to linear momentum. But it's still momentum. High school physics. ;)

Rifledriver and TheMayor like this.
  8. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    You guys need to watch the close up video of that crash, the entire CAR buckles when LaJoie hit Newman's roof/door area. It is amazing he is alive, let alone only seriously injured. I think there is more to his injuries, spinal being the primary concern, that NASCAR nor the family want released at this moment. I'm also concerned about extremity trauma due to the car buckling and impact, but we will pray and wait and see.

One thing which really angered me was everyone on social media upset that Denny Hamlin and team celebrated the win. He, and they, had no idea the severity of the crash and basically won the NASCAR version of the Super Bowl. Kudos to them for apologizing after even when they did not need to do so.

BoulderFCar and Texas Forever like this.
  9. #84 lorenzobandini, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    (A) With all due respect, I think you missed my point entirely.

(B) Absolutely.

(C) "Daytona (my addition: 500 and Firecracker, 'Degas thereafter) has been a **** show from the beginning."

Surely you jest...???

I've been following NASCAR since just after the first 500 (much less since the following) and it was hardly that prior to the restrictor plates. (when was that, Elliott and his aero T-Bird? '84? '85?).
    The point of my post was not a comparison of safety, but what has led up to the Big Ones and the demise of the true "sport" of the racing.

Again, the big ones are the result of the "leveling of the playing field" to entertain the masses [close "racing" (pfffttt...) and appease the sponsors (they all gets more air time)].
    'Weren't so "back in the day" when it was still truly sport, not just a high speed billboard parade charading as a sport. ('has happened to all of auto racing by btw; 'not just picking on NASCAR). The pack racing on the superspeedways is a result of this crap....just watch the races prior to the change. ;)

My apology....I digress..... :)

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Update as of 2 hours ago.

11. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    The continued use of "in serious condition but expected to survive" worries me greatly.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  12. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    chassis buckling reminded me of Allan Simonsen's crash at Le Mans in 2013(?), and we know how that ended.

I too am concerned about the lack of updates, similar to Wickens' accident when we heard very little for a day or so.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  13. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    Lajoie had nowhere to go at that speed and with that little time, he was running a high line next to the wall and had started to move down track as all these drivers were... brutal hit...:eek:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    The car had already taken a substantial hit into the wall so who knows what the actual state of the chassis was at that point as well.

I'm just hoping he has good quality of life after this.

JoeTSI and tomkatf like this.
  15. "Awake and talking" 4 oclock report. :)

JoeTSI, BMW.SauberF1Team and tomkatf like this.
  16. Good memory. I forgotted how similar. (prolly tryin' to fergit subconciously... :()

GuyIncognito likes this.
  17. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
  18. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That was engine oil. The dry sump tanks are located further back in the car and hold a few gallons of oil.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  19. Two posts above yours silly.... (#90)

'T'was on NBCSN and Fox Sports 1.

:)

20. What do they use....straight Marvel Mystery oil? (actually, I do 4 ozs every oil change. My 2004 Buick has 280,000 miles on her) It was flowing like it........ :)

21. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    It was petrol not oil

22. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
  23. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    pretty incredible. I think that's the first time I've seen him smile in years, too :)

Texas Forever likes this.
  24. tomkatf

tomkatf F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 25, 2004
    San Diego...East Co.
    Full Name:
    Tom F.
    Lol... I'd say he has an awful lot to smile about...:D

GuyIncognito likes this.
  25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Just heard he has been RELEASED from the hospital! Absolutely amazing. No word if he’ll be at Vegas yet.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.