Happy Birthday Enzo Ferrari - 18/2/1898 | FerrariChat

Happy Birthday Enzo Ferrari - 18/2/1898

Discussion in 'F1' started by pilotoCS, Feb 18, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    tomc and 375+ like this.
  2. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Ciao il Commendatore!

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I often wonder what it was to actually work with Enzo and if I would actually like him / respect him. From all I have read and the few people I know who met him and worked for him its a mixed bag. Most said that he was very difficult, and very picky about day to day items. he was prone to yelling and mini rages but then could be kind and gentle to kids and very charming to people he wanted something from. Regardless he is a point of admiration for someone who came from very little, survived two world wars, and went on to become wealthy and famous ... he literally did it his way every day.

Having sat in his private dining room at the Cavallino you could see that he wanted simple things but wanted it his way. it was not fancy or luxurious, but he liked TV and wine and whiskey. He kept all these simple little models of his cars and paintings that were not very good, but obviously meant something to him. complex is an understatement. out of all the car manufacturers - EVER - I think Ferrari goes down as the most complex and interesting of them all. He literally did not design or come up with anything remarkable, other than desire to win at all cost.... and a man with no education took on the powerhouses in the automotive world and won... today his family are Billionaires... Literally rags to riches. he's got to be the most famous "art" director in the world...

pilotoCS and carguyjohn350 like this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

The Guvnor !

He did however once agree to take a phone call directly from a customer.

A certain Mr Sinatra

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Surtees said when he was away from the factory and personnel he was very cordial. Dragoni ruined the Surtees Ferrari relationship. JS worked well with the mechanics, He suggested fiberglass to the racing dept. JS was and excellent mechanic, tuned his own racing bikes.

6. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Dragoni was focused on Bandini for sure. I think Surtees also did not help with the whole Lola project - and doing his own cars....if you were not 100% at Ferrari's beckon and call... you were not "his" to command.... he did not keep you for long. Look at Fangio ... they had a terrible relationship - because neither trusted each other. Very true however that the Ferrari team trusted and like "big John" ... Surtees does not get as much credit as he probably deserves.