Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread | Page 128 | FerrariChat

Ferrari SF90 Stradale : picture and news thread

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by maha, May 29, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    Exactly. There’s a reason why they didn’t call it race mode.

Il Co-Pilota and Igor Ound like this.
  2. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    My guess is that even though a track session might be 30-40 km, that's not the same as the battery will only last 20 km. How the car is driven and at what track, will mattr greatly. I think there's a good chance of a 30 min top-off between sessions will keep you going. It's not a huge battery, so it doesn't take much to top off.. It is also worth noting that as you get more experienced with the car, you will find ways of utilizing the modes. If you run a track with many twists and turns, but a good long straight, one can simply choose to engage qualifying mode down the straight, and then into "normal" mode at the end. Fact is that most will have their hands full anyway, especially when lots of other cars are on the track, thus using all the power all the time is not possible. So yes, lots of power availabe in qualifying mode, but I suspect that most will run the car in race mode most of the time and find that to be more than enough, and then do the occasional flying lap when possible. On a normal track day on Nordschleife with traffic, it will be sufficient to just run max power mode down Döttinger Höhe.
    I think we're debating a non-issue on the runtime of qualifying mode. If you're obsessed enough in terms of getting every last bit from the car all the time, and possess the skills, just buy a used 458 GT3. It will run circles around both the SF90, the La F and the FXX-K i believe it's like 1:13 or 1:14 around Fiorano.
    Debating it like it's a huge issue makes little sense. Power will be plentiful 99% of the time, if not more.
    Are the La F and P1 even capable of running max power continuously? Not entirely sure that's the case.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

x z8, Lukeylikey and of2worlds like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    And at most track days, opportunity to flog it so the battery gets depleted will be few and far between.

4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    SF90 Stradale - the street version of the SF90, which works in exactly the same way. You ‘harvest’ on the bends and go full bore on the straights. Why is this a discussion point?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  5. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    Got a call from dealer. Ferrari wanted confirmation before the production. My options are fixed now. Within 3-5 months I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

LVP488, Shack, Slicknick and 3 others like this.
  6. s313

s313 Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    Not in Quali mode. See https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/147044179/

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You don't answer Lucky's question with those links. There's no issue, there's no elephant and there's no point in debating a non-issue.
    Like I said, it is damn near impossible for most drivers in most sessions to run that hard. You can use it when you get the occassionally flying lap or when you're alone on the track. Most of the time you will be in traffic. If anyrhing, as a driver one will learn to engage and disengage the quali mode depending on track conditions etc.

What is your track experience with cars such as the 812, 458, 488 etc?

8. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
  9. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    It regenerates with braking so I don't see why not.

10. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    https://corporate.ferrari.com/en/ferrari-sf90-stradale-new-series-production-supercar

Qualify: this mode allows the system to achieve maximum power output by allowing the electric motors to work at their maximum potential (162kW). The control logic prioritises performance over battery charging.

which implies the battery still recharges, probably just by braking and when the battery level is really low.

11. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
  12. isot

isot Formula 3

May 6, 2012
    Lucca
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    of2worlds likes this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Senad likes this.
  14. s313

s313 Rookie

Oct 9, 2015
    We are not seeing eye to eye on this one, since there's a whole host of assumptions on driver skills and car dynamics listed in your post. I see you have quite an opinion on how the car should be driven and how it will consequently perform. Are you a driver coach?

My F-cars see 90% track time, 458, 488, and now Pista. I have on-board telemetry, analyze data after each session, and am very selective on the track day events (about 8-9 a year). Some of these are time-trial competitive events, and I have won several awards for fastest lap. Also, I race karts competitively (about 10 events a year), and so there I adjust everything myself on the kart (camber, caster, axles, gearing, pressures, and so on), depending on grip levels and weather of the day. In a nutshell, a very non-typical Ferrari owner, who focuses almost exclusively on track and lap times. By the way, the competitive time trials I enter are for production, street-legal vehicles; so your previous suggestion of a 458 GT3 is of no interest to me, currently.

To your point, "most of the time you will be in traffic", not in my case: track days I attend are 12 -15 cars max on track at the same time, and balanced with lap time performance. I do not attend track days with "traffic".

Given all of this, limited "Quali mode" is a real concern, for me (a non-typical Ferrari owner, see above). Until we have real-world performance figures and feedback, we are limited to a hypothetical discussion. And btw, I haven't even touched on the topic of the weight of the car.

I would be interested in hearing about your track experience with cars such as the 812, 458, 488 etc? Perhaps we can share some constructive notes, if you are also tracking cars.

x z8, tekaefixe and Jeffg11 like this.
  15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Weight penalty is there because it brings with it AWD, brake regen and active aero. In assetto corsa spec with multimatic dampers I bet it’ll be at least as fast as a Pista even just in Race mode otherwise they wouldn’t have added them.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    #3193 Il Co-Pilota, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    Nope, not a coach. Just a pretty seasoned track rat who grew out in a family of amateur racers and enthusiasts. My father used to race 356's and 911's and my mother was into powerboating, and my grandmother on my mothers side, was a co-pilot on a sidecar motorcycle:D
    I've yet to run the Pista, but should happen within April or May, depending on the fellas in Maranello. But currently, my experience with the 458 and 488, as well as GT3RS, is this. I run local small tracks as well as some of the larger Euro tracks on occasion, i,e Spa, Nordschleife atc. But also tracks like Knutstorp in Sweden as it's about 45 mins from me. All in all about 3000-4000 track km per year. Some track days are like you describe, a few cars, but others are twice that. Not "bangers", still 911's and exotics, some heavily modified M cars etc. I'm just thinking about how much time you spend at wide open, compared to part throttle i.e 70-90%. I prefer CT OFF for track, so giving it the beans all the time out of a turn, is just a no go. Yes you can do it for seconds at a time, of course, but most of the time, you're modulating. What I'm getting at is that I think it will be difficult to run the go pedal in an on-off fashion, and with a 20 km range for a flying lap at the ring, you will have to press pretty hard to run it out of juice on a smaller track. I don't know of any of these cars, including the halo cars that can keep the battery charged when you flog it, so not sure why the SF90 should be different. As you say, we need to see real world data, and I will get my chance next spring. Until I see issues, I will remain confident that it will work as it should. Also, I asked about charging times. Was told about an hour from low. So if we can assume it will not be completely depleted on each session, I think there's a good chance it can be kept going on a track day with little trouble.
    Used to race shifter karts in my late teens and early 20's, as well as smaller 60cc, 85cc and 100cc national classes in the youth. Those were good times. Haven't been kart racing for years, but would love to hear about your kart racing at another time. Have a bit of a thing for karts still:)

Additionally I will say this. The difference between running it in "race" and qualifying mode, may not be that massive. It will still use regen when on the brakes, so I suppose it's more a question about how much power is sent to the battery when in normal mode as you put your foot in it. In other words, how much will the average driver actually miss the bit of extra go? Not so sure it will be that big of a deal.

As for the GT3. It was not really for you I suggested it. More generally for the track rats who want a pure track bred machine with no drawbacks. I don't see purchasing any road going Ferrari as a good choice for a hardcore track machine. They are street cars that perform well on the track, but far from race cars or pure track day rigs. For such things, a Radical SR6 is a whole different beast, and will make most supercars feel tame. Downforce cars are a different breed all together, and I think in some ways, even a Radical SR3 as run in the Radical cup, can provide more excitement as a race car, compared to even a Challenge car.
    But if you enter events that call specifically for street legal cars etc. sure, a 4X8 GT3 or Challenge car is not what you want. Just saying that an SF90 is not a pure bred track monster so again, one needs to consider that when thinking about whether it will lose a second by not running in quali mode as it will not be that important.

x z8, Lukeylikey, BarryK and 4 others like this.
  17. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
  18. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Will the convertible version of the SF90 be just as stiff as the regular version?

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  19. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    As far as I know, the only convertible anywhere which is as ridgit as a coupè would be, is a Koenigsegg. I'm sure it will be very nice, but still a wee bit more flexible. Even McLarens with no roof aren't quite as stiff as the hard top versions. But considering how well they managed to stiffen up the 488 over the 458, I'm sure the SF90 Spider will be a great car.

of2worlds likes this.