AutoEnginuity Scan Tool | FerrariChat

AutoEnginuity Scan Tool

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Feb 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Does anybody have the AutoEnginuity scan tool and use it on their Ferraris? How did you find the feature set? Adequate?

Niteroi likes this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    My techs have been using it for years and love it. Works on Ferraris and most European, Japanese and American cars.

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #3 2NA, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    I have it. Works fairly well on the newer cars. I recently upgraded to running it on an Ipad. So far so good. Apparently there are just 2 guys that do the phone support. They seem kinda busy but always answer the phone when I've called. They have NO experience using the tool on Ferraris. It doesn't talk to all the systems (even though it recognizes them), but the F1 systems on 360s and newer are what I primarily wanted it for. Here's a DTC scan from a couple days ago.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Sounds like something worth having. Instead of buying a specific Rosstech Audi tool which costs more, I think this modular tool approach works better for me especially if it does F1 on the newer Ferraris.

5. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    might investigate the Foxwell too, same coverages but cheaper and 3 yr updates

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Does the Foxwell actually work? I see them all over Ebay. Any news on the Texa tool? I'm always on the lookout for cost-effective things that work.
    My Autoenginuity tool is useful but it doesn't have a lot of bi-directional functions. There are "actuation" screens that list sensors on/off functions. Most don't seem to work although until recently I was running it from an Android phone and tablet. The last time I called the tech support guy, he revealed that Android doesn't work. We'll see how the Ipad goes. So far it's a big improvement and I'm optimistic but it's not a perfect solution.

7. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale

I would steer clear of the Foxwell. I didn't and now know why I should have.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Tim- My techs run AE on a laptop, and that seems to work fine.

From what I have read, Texa and AE have similar capabilities.

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #9 2NA, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    I used a laptop when I first got it. Kind of a hassle using it inside the car. It would frequently disconnect right when I needed it most. Using it with a tablet or phone is a dream by comparison. It's the dead of Winter here now so I won't have too many opportunities to use it for a while but the Ipad seems like a hot ticket. Not sure if they're gonna fix the Android problems or not. Their tech support is a little sketchy. They want to help, they just don't have much hands-on experience using the tool and none with our cars. It sounds like they use an outside person for programming. Keane, one of the tech-support guys, told me he'd never touch a Ferrari (confidence inspiring), "too much liability", he said.

As far as Texa goes, IIRC somebody here was planning to do a test of the capabilities and report back. I'm still waiting for that.

10. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Most of the time what the companies do that create these 3rd party scan tools is to use the factory diagnostic tool and just sniff the CAN bus to see what its doing, some of the less reputable ones don't even bother with the factory tool, but just grab another 3rd party tool, and so you can end up with something that was reverse engineered of something that was reverse engineered and so on.

So I was trying to do some digging into AutoEnginuity before buying one and happend to check out the google streetview of their US HQ and low and behold, look what's parked out front! So someone at least should be trying to use it on a Ferrari!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

RossoC360 likes this.
  11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Tim, does the Autoengineuity tool communicate with the 360 Spider Top functions ?

12. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Can you elaborate? I, for one, would like to know more about your experience -- since I'm looking at one of their 'boxes'.

13. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Yes, but it isn't bi-directional. You can observe switches opening and closing, but you can't run it from the tool.

14. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    What about the Launch X431? It claims to be bidirectional.

15. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I purchased one with the "Ferrari" specific option. It works well as a generic OBDII tool but is totally unable to connect to my 550 in Ferrari mode. I have made numerous (at least 3) contacts with the company since my purchase and they said it would be fixed in a new software update. I've updated the software many times.. over at least a year but every time I do that and test it I get the same results. Total waste of my time. That is why I wouldn't recommend. This is a chinese company that has no way of knowing if there software works on a 550 or not.

Qavion and zygomatic like this.
  16. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks dodici -- that is great to know. Appreciate your additional "color"!

17. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    The product is good from an electronic standpoint. Well built and I think reliable. But..............for our use it's only as good as it's software and that is quite questionable.

18. dwe8922

dwe8922 Formula Junior

Feb 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    David
  19. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    that is the Diagzone tool from China. I just stumbled on to it with a friend and have not extensively tested it. I can tell you that it absolutely does not work on the 355 at all, and that it does work on a 360 with some bidirectional capability. The way the software is designed on that tool makes it impossible to check out its features and functionality unless it is plugged into an actual car target.

I actually called AutoEnginuity to order their tool and found why they did not list the prices for the Ferrari / Maserati package. It was $3500 for the software package alone. Quite a bit rich for a tool whose support personnel admitted to not knowing anything about its features on Ferrari. So I passed. The Porsche package was only $299.

20. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Misleading, because the AE software for Ferrari includes a ton of other cars including Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, etc. My techs have been using it for years. As usual, the yellow box version is the most expensive, but includes everything they have.

21. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't know if that has changed but very specifically the man on the phone said the Ferrari Maserati package is $3500 plus the HW tool. There is also an all European Makes version for $1299 but that version does not include the Ferrari / Maserati brand.

From what Tim said above, they don't test it on Ferrari and their Support people have no real time on Ferraris because "too much liability."

If $3500 includes all European makes as well as Ferrari, then that would be more palatable, still hard to swallow. The thing is I already have the Durametric Pro for the Porsches, and have access to the VagCom tool for VW and Audi so that coverage is less valuable to me. I don't see myself with Mercedes. BMW would be a plus.

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Just a note

X-diag , diagzone etc are cracked version of x431 launch

The best route if you want x431 officially is the x431 mini pro

The step up from that is the autel ..

Another note is that x431 does not have ediff activation which is sometimes needed to flush/ bleed f1 system

There are other ways to activate the e-diff solenoid while using the x431 to activate pimp and build pressure so that you can accomplish the same thing

I not sure but I believe the autel maxisys 906 may already have that in its menus .. disclaimer I do not use or have used this so people who have it please jump in

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

23. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #23 2NA, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    The Ferrari/Maserati package from Autoenginuity includes all coverages for other cars. I recall from an earlier phone call a couple years back that Jay Horak, the guy that used to own AE (recently sold to another company) developed the tool for BMWs that he raced. I have never tried it on a BMW but this suggests that it should have good functionality there.

As far as Autel goes, one of my friends has it. He works on domestic cars. He told me a while back that when he "updated" the software, it actually lost some of the coverage it allegedly had before. The logos that had previously appeared on the home screen were replaced with generic looking icons. He thought this was due to some copyright problems from some manufacturers. I haven't tried it on a Ferrari. Perhaps I will in the future.

24. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I have Autoenginuity and use it on my BMWs. It gives you access to just about everything except the iDrive features. On my 355....it is no better than a decent OBDC II reader. Buying the Ferrari add-on does nothing for the 355 since the various subsystems require a direct connect from an SD1 or SD2 to analyze, test and activate.

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    that is because none of the sub-systems on the 355 are connected to the CAN bus. They may have CAN signals but not on a common bus that goes to the OBD2 port.

wrxmike likes this.