Hamilton to sign for 2 more years at Mercedes ? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Hamilton to sign for 2 more years at Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by william, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Absolurely correct. It's the design office that made Ferrari a winner, most of it ex-Benetton.

But, for some reason, some "tifosi" want to elevate Schumacher to cult status.

ktu likes this.
  2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't think of it like that::

What the tifosi don't want is for a black man to upset their hero.

william and ktu like this.
  3. SimCity3

SimCity3 F1 Rookie

4. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Senna1994 likes this.
  5. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    My hero is Gilles Villeneuve, no Black, white, yellow, blue, red or green will ever upset him, firstly because his dead, second, because he was so much better that the rest just look like tools beside him.....wich is about the same if anyone tries to compare Michael with Crapilton...

6. ktu and william like this.
  7. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    And THIS is what has become of the F1 forum on FChat.

This moronic post accusing us of just being racists. And such a shock the 2 posters who Liked that drivel.

Enjoy your MercedesChat F1 forum, as it has become.

Thanks, mods. This is what we've come to???

Kevin

Bas, stavura, subirg and 2 others like this.
  8. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Guess you haven't been around long enough to see what Hamilton and his Fchatt fans are constantly being accused of

william likes this.
  9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Oh, but he did, but only to those who actualy like racing and to watch racers...probably not your case.....it's funny cause you seem to like Jimmy, and he was one of the best ever to sat his arse in an f.1..or any other sort of car for that matters, diference is, i believe he would have still been one of the best if he hadn't won any titles, because it doesn't matter if he drives a car unable to win, or if the car breaks with no fault of his, what matters to me is what he's able to do with the damn thing...so it makes no difference if Gilles, Moss, Ronnie, Ickx haven't won it, you k now, if i had to pick the top best f.1 champions and put them against the top 5 best vice-champions, i would pick the second group, and i would bet on them big time!

GordonC likes this.
  10. Amusing.....and quite presumptuous of you.

Only enough to have spent my youth participating in all sorts of racing, and trying to make big time auto racing.....not just "liking and watching". Worked, ate, and slept it.

How about you?

(My apologies moderators. I don't tolerate ignorance too well.....I had to.)

ktu and william like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Yep, I gather that, just like me, you didn't fall with the latest shower of rain.

12. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Same with me , and ignorance keeps grassing on this site....

Nortonious likes this.
  13. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX

Wow, catching up after being away for awhile.

Really? A pretty broad insult you cast.

Bas likes this.
  14. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth

all correct; all I want is the facts, Ma'am.

15. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    I have followed the Lewis diatribe since the first contretemps with Fernando at McLaren. I have followed Formula 1 since the beginning at the British Grand Prix in 1950 when I was in college. I have attended F1 races at Silverstone (1960) Monza (1960) Zandvoort (1960) Monaco (1961) and (2017) and have watched virtually every F1 race ever since they have been televised in the U.S.A.

To state that Lewis is not a worthy world champion is IMHO simply foolish. He is a truly great driver. As foolish as to say that Michael was not a worthy world champion. Ditto, Alain Prost and Ayrton Senna. If I were an F1 team principal, among Lewis, Alain and Ayrton I'd probably take the Frenchman.

That said, if I were team principal of a competitive F1 team today, looking at all previous F1 drivers in their prime years there is only one choice, and he is Juan Manuel Fangio. Recall that when El Chueco came from Argentina to race in F1 in Europe in 1948 he was already 37 years old, two years older than Lewis is today! He had been racing stock cars in Argentina and he won several Grand Prix races before the start of today's Formula 1 Grand Prix began in 1950. In the seven years that followed, years during which excellent drivers were dying each years, here's all Fangio did in F1:

51 starts
    9 poles
    23 fastest laps
    35 podiums
    24 wins

This added up to five World Drivers' Championships. But wait, there's more! Fangio accomplished this in four different manufacturers' cars: Alfa Romeo in 1951, Mercedes-Benz 1954-55, Ferrari 1956 and Maserati 1957, the last when he was 46 years old.

His last race, the 1957 German Grand Prix, was very likely his greatest. Here's the Wiki description:

At the 1957 German Grand Prix at the Nürburgring circuit, Fangio needed to extend his [championship] lead by six points to claim the title with two races to spare. From pole position Fangio dropped to third behind the Ferraris of Mike Hawthorn and Collins but managed to get past both by the end of the third lap. Fangio had started with half-full tanks since he expected that he would need new tyres halfway through the race. In the event Fangio pitted on lap 13 with a 30-second lead, but a disastrous stop left him back in third place and 50 seconds behind Collins and Hawthorn. Fangio came into his own, setting one fastest lap after another, culminating in a record-breaking time on lap 20 a full eleven seconds faster than the best the Ferraris could do. On the penultimate lap Fangio got back past both Collins and Hawthorn, and held on to take the win by just over three seconds. With Musso finishing in fourth place, Fangio claimed his fifth title. This performance is often regarded as the greatest drive in Formula One history, and it was Fangio's last win.

Remember, he was 46 years old

Nortonious and fer312t like this.
  16. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    P.S. bad mistake for me to have omitted Jim Clark. I saw him race in person. Had he lived and had a decent machine, I believe he would have been among the immortals.

Bas, lorenzobandini and Nortonious like this.
  17. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Agree with so much of the above. Fangio, Clark, Schumi, Senna, all greats (not the only greats of course). As you mentioned, Fangio accomplished his feats with four different teams. Yes, ham with McLaren, but those subsequent five in a superior car with so little parity in the field. But alas, this horse is pretty well beaten to death.

I did not live the Fangio years, but i try to know my history.

Since "worthiness" has come up. Do you think ham's first five titles measure up to Fangio in terms of the driver being the deciding factor?

Bas and 375+ like this.
  18. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    negative - not remotely close. remember that in Fangio's years, first-rate drivers were dying in accidents every year!

Bas and 375+ like this.
  19. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    #120 ktu, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Brawn has already stated Hamilton deserved all of his titles.
    Guys you have to remember, every great champion is gonna do it differently. Fangio won with different teams at a old age. Schumi was known to have great car developing skills. Brawn never said Senna was the best at car development skills, but Senna is still great in his own way. Hamilton will be known for his natural ability to produce speed, hence the pole records. Button said he never seen a driver to match Hamilton's speed over a lap. Rosberg said Hamilton has more natural ability than Schumacher. Did Schumi win with 5 different teams? No, he did it his own way and is still great. The next great after Hamilton will do it their own way. Tom Brady does not have to do it the same way Joe Montana did it, but he is still great

fer312t and Patrick Dixon like this.
  20. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    Completely agree.

Bas likes this.
  21. Indeed!!!!! :mad: How dare you omit the other excellent gentleman driver (and my only hero, prol'ly because I was just too young and missed Juan :)).

Thirty lashes with a wet noodle! :p

22. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think he already is. Widely acknowledged as one of the greats who left us far too soon.

fer312t, DF1, 375+ and 1 other person like this.
  23. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Please! Let no one conclude that I believe that Lewis is less than a truly great driver, and is among the all-time greats. He is every bit of that. And he bears the mantle with great grace.

william and ktu like this.