458 Italia or Spider??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 Italia or Spider???

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by pninja005, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    wow...really?....even in spirited driving around town? I will (as others should) of course have to drive one prior to making any change from my F430 Spider (which also of course has chassis flex, but darnit, top down, engine blasting, I ignore it!

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #27 up4speed, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    I'm one of those people that can feel the difference by the time I'm out of the parking lot!
    All that said, Ferraris are pretty stiff compared to most other spiders, BUT it is still a very considerable difference from a hard top (to me). The only convertible that really impressed me, and the only one I would consider if I wanted one, is the McLaren 570s. That carbon fiber chassis is truly amazing! When is Ferrari going to catch up?

3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Yes, it is that soft. It's not only a thing you feel when you're pushing it. Run over a bump in the road at 60 kph and the whole thing shimmies and shakes.

RT964 likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    This.

And steering wheel shakes badly in your hands. You have to decide if that matters. Heck, some owners here think the 488 sounds just as good or they dont care about sound, so perhaps you wont mind (or be blind!)

RT964 likes this.
  5. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I bought my 2013 458 Italia in Aug last year. I never even considered the Spider simply because it lacks that amazing engine view.

xfrgtr likes this.
  6. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    That's also why I want a coupe/Italia. And same reason I did the G coupe - due to glass window.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

wthensler and of2worlds like this.
  7. Mikes90ef8

Mikes90ef8 Karting

Oct 8, 2018
    Full Name:
    MM
    For comparison based on SB LIV...
    Shakira or JLo ?
    There’s no wrong answer.

pizzadude likes this.
  8. SPOM13

SPOM13 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2015
    Loved my 360 spider, and miss it but not the bills.... it had an engine view....sound was amazing too. Just depends what you prefer most. LOVE the engine view. It's such a work of art, and I am enjoying my Italia in the garage as much as I drive it... and so do friends ("wow that's the engine?!?!, SO COOL"). Coupe is better looking IMO, but that's my opinion.. Take your time and look at both.

9. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Loved my Nero Daytona California and Titanio 458 spider. Attention was tolerable with top down. Cuoio interior on the Cali would get dirty easily especially towards the rear and I was always using leather conditioning wipes. Thus ordered black for my 458 spider but then leather interior gets hot as f'ck during the day. Dont like the look of soft tops and have concerns about security so both my Huracans are coupes. No way I could handle the attention driving a Verde mantis or Rosso Mars H top down. People are nuts with their camera phones. Alcantara interior stays pristine, still has new car smell and Ive mastered the ability to look straight while maintaining my peripheral vision behind tinted glass. Love looking at the engine bay.

No wrong answer, good luck with your choice.

10. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If you thought the 570S was impressive, you should try the 600LT Spider - that's another level !!

Getting back to the 458, some people will buy the spider because that's what they want - the sun on their heads and the wind in their hair. Then you have those that prefer the coupe for it's greater structural rigidity and poise on any road without any great loss of noise. I have very recently been test driving both variants on my hunt for the next car and was the one quoted earlier in this thread that returned the 458 spider early on the test drive because the chassis flex was so bad - my 30 year 964 cabriolet is stiffer than that !!

xfrgtr and up4speed like this.
  11. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I remember Rob , it took you 6 years. :eek:

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  12. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Yeah...but that was from kindergarten. :D

of2worlds, Il Co-Pilota and Cigarzman like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Haha, points for that one:D

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Cigarzman likes this.
  14. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    I own both 2010 Italia, 2012 Spider. When weather is nice Spider wins , win not Spider weather Italia wins. Best of both worlds.

SPOM13, x z8, of2worlds and 1 other person like this.
  15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Can't see any of that from where I sit (drivers seat). I can see the sky though (spider).

To each his own.

x z8 and tekaefixe like this.
  16. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Do you find a difference between the spider with top up and the Italia?

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Still shimmies thru the steering wheel with top up.

tekaefixe likes this.
  18. RT964

RT964 Rookie

Jul 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yes, this is what I found too. It's not too bad, but is certainly noticeable compared to the coupe.

19. xfrgtr

xfrgtr Karting

Jul 20, 2011
    Exactly!!

20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    I have to say this is a tough decision. When I got the Lambo this was a much easier decision as that one in drop top form had a soft top! Also, when you'd close the door on the spyder version they weren't solid like the coupe. Now, why the heck doesn't ferrari make heir Spider with a glass window. It's avail aftermarket but not by Ferrari...

21. Rexcat458

Rexcat458 Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Well, they are both awesome! Having said that, I prefer and own the Italia coupe. Whilst there is something to be said for the wind in the hair experience offered by the Spider, I’m mostly bald these days so that experience is no longer an option for me...

Also, in this part of Texas, it’s hot and humid much of the year and that renders the drop top’s benefits less than ideal after a few minutes of driving in our suffocating heat and oppressive humidity, IMHO.

You will no doubt love and enjoy either, they are simply epic cars!!! My two cents is coupe always, but the Spiders are awesome as well. Your money, your choice. Cheers bruddah!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed likes this.
  22. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    Really a subjective choice. I love love love the lines of the 458 coupe and the stability it offers. Can’t find too much fault with the Spider though. Hardtop convertible with awesome performance. Drive both and see which one is a better fit for you.

x z8, xfrgtr and up4speed like this.
  23. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I love my spider and you know what they say happy wife happy life!

x z8 likes this.
  24. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    LOL. Reminds me of the Top Gear episode where Clarkson complained that the spider only exists so that people can see the bald spot on the back of his head!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

DefunctNeurons and VAF84 like this.
  25. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Here in FL, a Spider is a no brainier. Yeah, it flexes. It also is like being in a planetarium with the top down at night.

A spider is no coupe, and a coupe is no spider.

x z8 likes this.