Ferrari has a new grey, our 812 TM experience | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari has a new grey, our 812 TM experience

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Lukeylikey, Mar 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Caeruleus11, of2worlds and LMH like this.
  2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Took delivery of our RM 812 yesterday. You are right Luke, RM is the greatest color I’ve ever seen. As for the vents over the exhaust, I’ll check when I get home. If you look at the CF replacement parts, they have large cutouts like that, so I’m assuming it’s not new. Fingers crossed.

Lukeylikey, LMH and of2worlds like this.
  3. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Our 812 is the same as far as the exhaust cutout. Whether it has any GPF or not, this engine and sound is incredible.

4. tickerhound

tickerhound Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2016
    IL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That pic looks the same as my MY 2020 which does not have GPF. Under the hood is a label with the emissions equipment on your car. You can google the codes. Im confident you don't have GPF. The 812 GTS will have it as well as all F8's.

5. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
  6. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    DFI: Direct Fuel Injection
    AIR: Air Injection System
    TWC: Three Way Catalytic Converter
    HO2S: Heated Oxygen Sensor

No GPF...

(OBD II: On Board Diagnostic System)

LMH and Thecadster like this.
  7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Excellent. Thanks! If it sounded like this and did, there’s be no problem.

8. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    #108 Frank_C, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2020
    Lovely car.

Like you I too have zero carbon and painted shields. The painted shields make the car.

My local guy was not a fan and thought they weren't worth the price. But I asked around here and got this response: I would not hesitate, the regular cheap ones are Fiat Abarth and Enzo would turn in his grave. All historical V12 are painted. It’s the work of an artisan versus a shield bolted on.

Ahem.............................yes, I did have badges on my 360 spider and F12 ;)

Lukeylikey likes this.
  9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Spectacular looking car! Congratulations.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  10. LMH

LMH Karting

May 5, 2019
    Spain
    S
    so if it had GPF it will say so in that sticker?. Thanks

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    That lower striping looks great, really pops! Congrats on the car, must feel incredible to have a dream project like that arrive.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  12. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Congratulations spectacular spec, I really like it.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  13. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    So, I know there are far more important things going on in the world right now and I wish everyone who is and will be affected by coronavirus Godspeed to recovery.

I thought I would give my own take on the 812 as a driver’s tool and ownership prospect, mostly because there’s no sport to watch and sometimes focusing for a while on something else is a good thing to do.

It’s been wet and cold here in the UK and with only 350 or so miles now racked up I haven’t used the upper reaches of the engine’s range yet. Nevertheless, some things are already very clear. This is a car that feels great and fun, even at 7/10ths. Compared with the Lusso the steering is faster, more direct, lighter and weights up more naturally. It feels lithe where the Lusso is brutish.

Although it does not feel like a 488 because of the long bonnet and the fact you sit over the rear axle, it has the light and responsive feeling of the sports cars.

The engine sound is wonderful and a key reason to own an 812 but allied to that is the transmission that feels so much faster and sharper than the Speciale, downchanges being a particular highlight. They are just out-of-the-park wonderful.

I gel quickly with cars where the interplay between the throttle and steering feels natural, alive and responsive. This car hit that spot immediately for me and the crucial on-off throttle applications work as well here as they do in the V8s. So far I have driven carefully, high speed but measured throttle so that I don’t really break traction. The grip and traction is astonishing and with the big Pirelli’s giving far less tramlining than the skinnier front on the Lusso, the whole car feels together and highly supportive of swift progress. It is far ahead of the F12 and feels smaller to drive except in tight spaces where the fact it is the same size as the previous car can’t be hidden.

The ride is pretty firm, not crashy, but supportive of my theory that this car is not intended to be a GT. It feels so different to the real GT in the line up - the Lusso.

The view over the front is lovely, the wheel arches serving as a playful reminder of the car’s sense of purpose. You just get in and feel ready to drive - it’s a car that encourages you to drive, drive well, with pace but with sense too.

The spec has grown on me even more and I get regular comments from bystanders who love the car’s design and look, especially the paint colour which works really really well outdoors.

There are two white lines on top of the binnacle from using white as the alternate colour on the dash which would have been best avoided. It really suits the scheme but reflects terribly. That is about the only negative thing I have discovered so far, unless you consider inert steering of great significance. An early 911 this is not but it is responsive and accurate, if not feelsome.

Overall a great start to our relationship with hopefully more to come in the Summer months, assuming the Summer months don’t bring too many virus-related restrictions.

-K1-, TSOYBELIS, deltona and 5 others like this.
  14. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Having put on slightly less mileage myself, I concur with your thoughts. After driving the Portofino, I felt the 812 shifts were lacking in the theater department....In sport. When in RACE mode, my goodness. I do love seeing the paint on the front hood wheel arches, and the overall fit and finish is phenomenal. Not a single rattle or creak as one should expect from a $500k car. And you were certainly right about Rosso Maranello. I can’t imagine anything better in the sun.

Lukeylikey likes this.
  15. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Every so often I've found driving in Auto mode, with its instantaneous rev-matching downshifts, to be very entertaining aurally!

16. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations @Lukeylikey !!! Somehow I missed your post from a few weeks ago! Bravo!! (yes there are more serious things, but we all could use a nice distraction, so thank you for sharing with us!)

Lukeylikey likes this.
  17. xBox

xBox Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2018
    The Emerald Isle
    Nice write up and a wonderful design concept, well executed by the good people in TM.

Enjoy :)