How should I think about $ impact of “minor damage”? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How should I think about $ impact of “minor damage”?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 2tall4economy, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    My two pennies....
    I would rather have a higher mileage accident free car then a car with damage and lower mileage
    Mechanical stuff can be repaired, damaged car no matter takes away from originality and cannot be undone!
    Would look for an accident free vehicle with higher mileage
    Ultimately your decision

2. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Everybody has an opinion and everything, but dealing in absolutes can be so short sighted.....did you see the picture of this incident? Pretty damn minor. As long as you get some discount, I would MUCH rather have this than a high miles car where you have NO idea how it was treated.

I'll go back to my Diablo as an example, 9,000 mile 1 owner car with a $6,000 stoplight bump. Are you really telling me you would rather have a 30,000 mile car with 4 unknown owners? And for that $6,000 bump I got a $20,000 discount.

JaguarXJ6 and Jakuzzi like this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably depends on OP's definition of "fair." There is likely about a 15% spread between the wholesale and retail values of the car. And we don't know exactly which car, what year, mileage, etc. All we know is that the car is red and probably a 430 gated spider. Obviously, the lower end of the range is regarded as more advantageous to a buyer and "fair" in the sense of not getting price gouged. Its beginning to sound like the diminished value concession granted by the dealer just might be slightly less than the retail/wholesale spread. The dealer likely locked in and made their money when acquiring the car.

Is OP attempting to purchase the car at the lower end of the price spread plus wants to add a diminished value concession? We haven't heard from OP all week now.

Here is a similar 430 discussion on lower end of the scale with a few data points:

4. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Actually I would rather have a 30K mile car then a hit car any day of the week for the reasons mentioned, I chuckle when we call 30K mile car high mileage
    As long as there is maintenance records, a car sitting most of her life and with an accident, for what I intend to use the car for meets my needs.
    North America, we are too mileage focused, look at the European market cars they are driven and enjoyed, mileage is less important, as long as maintained
    This thought has served me well over the many years

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    LOL, OK......

6. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    To each their own, a car cannot be un-hit!

energy88 likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    This is my impression. I get what youre saying though.

A fair price for an undamaged vehicle per the OP may equal a reasonable per dealer price which takes into account the damage history.

8. 2tall4economy

2tall4economy Karting

Oct 26, 2014
    Western Suburbs of Chicago (for now)
    Full Name:
    Brett
    So a few more data points - damage resulted in a $30k repair bill. Looking through the bill it was just a result of where it was hit. Basically a bunch of parts all connect at that location and it hit them all. Clear that the damage was literally only skin deep though. (Still, yikes! For that $).

they’ve negotiated a little lower since then. I’m working on financing now. Despite the benefits of not reporting to the credit bureaus Ferrari financial wants an arm and a leg in terms of down payment and rate so I’m doing my own through my channels.

It’s a relatively low mileage example and I plan to drive it; not daily but as my second car (as opposed to a garage queen - it’ll be out most of the summer and even get driven to work occasionally - maybe 5k miles per year).

Right now it feels like a responsible price and a good start to Ferrari ownership. Feels like a car “I’ll never sell” but I know that is never the case from personal experience.

Proceeding at pace.

9. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    You seem to drive and use your car. Kudos to you! :)

The OP and most of the other ones replying seem to be speculators/flippers; and that is the sad state of affairs to Ferrari "ownership" these days. But they are entitled to do whatever they want with their money/financing. :)

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    The OP seems like a solid guy and is performing due diligence....I even have another example of a diamond in the rough....by this time tomorrow, fingers crossed I will be the caretaker of a 2005 Ford GT. It bumped into a curb in a parking lot, a verified minor incident, not even called an accident by CarFax, just listed as damage........but yet the price starts with a "1"....am I running away to buy a $330k museum piece? Hell No

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    No way could I believe you are picking up a GT for under 2 . Good for you , regardless of the minor accident it could have 20k something miles on it and you are still sitting pretty, imo

I would have guessed without looking that they are 500k all day long...

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  12. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    When purchasing any used car there will always be doubt. When I was looking at my used "new to me" Ferrari, I was looking for things like apparent damage or signs of repair. I was also looking at the mechanical condition as well, even though a car is dealer or specialty shop serviced doesn't mean that shotty work cannot happen. Getting a ppi is piece of mind for you and a very good idea. BUT as said many times in this discussion, a damaged car is always going to be a damaged car.

13. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    29k miles.

Just a day or two ago, a guy posted a high mile clean carfax car for $200k flat.....he had a deposit in like an hour.

JaguarXJ6 and Alcav5 like this.
  14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks like Hagerty values for those cars are starting to soften. Might some of it be owners trading up to 2017-2019 NFGT's?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    There are owners selling '05-'6 cars when they gat the new one. Prices have definately softened over where they were 2-3 years ago. So looking at the chart, the top line must be just for Heritage colors, and $375k for one is quite do-able. The next line represents all the 1k miles that sold for $330k at BJ a few weeks ago. The 3rd line covers the 5k-9k mile cars, and a few can be had at $250k.

The bottom line are cars that very rarely exist.....in the last 6-7 months I only know of 2 that sold under $200k (once you take out the salvage cars....there are a bunch of these)......

16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  17. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    My damaged 2006 F430 from a front bumper and hood respray was a $20k discount on a 26K mile car. My favorite color with low spec for 78K. I have to replace motor mounts and fix a vibrating tail lights common issues. It's in amazing shape and a driver.

I will restate if you pay market for a car with damage and do plan to sell it with more miles expect to take a double loss of some kind.

EastMemphis likes this.
  18. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Done, a GT found a new home.....

2tall4economy likes this.
  19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    pics & info in another thread?

Congrats!

20. bertha01

bertha01 Rookie

Sep 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    bertha ales
    nice opinion[​IMG]

21. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, full story now in the American Muscle section.....

22. mikesf2

mikesf2 Rookie

Feb 15, 2013
    USA
    what price did the OP negotiate?