Challenge car prices | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Challenge car prices

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 87testa, Dec 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think road registration combined with documented race history make these cars special.

I would venture that the starting point for a car fully intact, no stories, no bits missing would be at least $100,000.00 US.

They are being coveted and not a lot of published sales.

My two cents

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
  3. manxart

manxart Karting

Nov 30, 2014
    #278 manxart, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Asking price dropped to 199k USD for F355C 111496

5. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Where is 111496 for sale?

6. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    What would a 1990 348 TS Ch car be worth? I assume any 1990 was not built as one of the 45 or so favtory designated cars that received kits, and those would only be 1994 cars? Is that correct?

What if the 1990 car was never raced, but has full proper cage installed, seats, harnesses, and electric cut-off?

7. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    why are you asking?

8. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Because i'm interested in purchasing a 348 Ch and am trying to educate myself. Why is the reason a concern of yours?

A helpful response would have been preferred.

tomgt and Yassa like this.
  9. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    It's certainly not a "factory" Challenge car if it's a 1990, but having the full complement of Challenge parts (if in fact that's the case) is a big plus. IMHO though, the lack of any race history negatively impacts on its value. If it has a title and can be tagged for driving to/from track events, that'd be good.
    I've lately seen cars ranging in price from $70K (for the 1990 ts on offer by Bryan Circosta- is that the one we're talking about?) to $250K (for the unraced but formerly factory-owned one recently sold at auction by Sotheby's), but feel that a complete, well-maintained factory tb (not ts) Challenge car with known race history is the most valuable- but I'm biased, as I have one that fits that description!

Historic F1 likes this.
  10. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Would a Challenge that had been used as a factory press car (shown in numerous magazines, posters, replicated as toys, etc) have a different/higher valuation than a typically campaigned car?

of2worlds likes this.
  11. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I doubt it since it's been driven quite a bit. Maybe if it were no miles. I know that car!

12. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    How can we drive challenge cars on the streets in US? Is it because they are older than 25 years old?

13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    348 Challenge and 1995 355 Challenge cars come with titles and you can register them and get plates. However, depending on where you live and the local regulations, it still may not be legal for street use.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    There's at least one 458C EVO regularly driving the streets of Southern CA and one red 488C converted for road use near Dallas, TX. Not sure how they were able to get the cars 'streetable' but I wouldn't want to drive my Challenge on the street for many reasons.

ewright likes this.
  15. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I'm wondering this too after seeing Stradman driving his 430C on public roads. Not sure how it's possible. I thought 1995 was the last year possible as said above.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In Europe the 355 Challenge was released as road legal (and it was the last to be, the 360 Challenge was not and this was used as the opportunity to make the 360 Challenge Stradale). Some later cars (e.g. 430 Challenge) have been converted for road use, with a single type approval - as if one wants to have approved a car he builds for himself.

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It seems in Europe asking prices for 355 Challenge are currently ranging from EUR 120K to 170K.

18. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Love mine, 50k plus miles since 2004, including three one day epic drives of nearly 1000 miles. Straight loud challenge race pipe. Loudest Ferrari model I have ever heard. Ringing ears to this day. Stupid ....

Just found an interesting photo. Dion Von Moltke stopped by the house one day. Neat young man and damn fast. Was dating a friend's daughter who attended Clemson. First Challenge car converted for Jim Kenton by Lake Forest, winning last 348 Challenge series 1996.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

19. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    I finally found an original Challenge ANSA straight race exhaust as well and put it on my 348 Challenge. Sounds SO good and SO loud. Love it!

308 GTB and Flash355 like this.
  20. timhood

timhood Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    Let's say you had a 1995 F355 Challenge in Rosso Corsa with about 13,500 miles on it in driver-quality condition and were looking to sell it. What price would you expect to get? Let's assume you needed to address the sticky parts and it's time for a major service with belt change. I've been doing a lot of research, but it sure it difficult to pin down a price of what these cars are actually selling for currently.

21. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Market is not consistent right now. and buyers are not everywhere. So it will take some time to sell.

What will sell the fastest? Here is the list.

Street Title.

Most complete car in best possible condition (aesthetic and Mechanical) yes including the sticky interior fixed / what original equipment is missing. Does it have the period correct seats, steering wheel, roll cage, etc...

Race History. Who drove it? Did it compete?

Cool Livery and dealer / sponsors. Or is it just Red?

Full records.

mechanical needs / engine out done / brakes / clutch

Price range $ 100 to 150K. Could be more. Could also be less if it is not complete with the above.

Robb

ewright and Ira Schwartz like this.
  22. timhood

timhood Rookie

Sep 23, 2014
    After some 20+ years of ownership, VIN 101443 has been sold to another Ferrari aficionado. Thanks to Robb for your help in providing some interesting history on the car, including a write-up in Forza magazine. Thanks also to those here who expressed interest by private message and e-mail.

This vehicle is titled and is currently in street-legal condition (working headlights, etc.). It has every part that was removed/replaced in the Challenge conversion, all manuals, original seats (not installed), etc. The interior was restored to what I think is great for non-competitive track and club run or charity run as well as casual day use. Maybe the best-looking F355 Challenge from the interior (at least that I've seen). I posted photos in another thread, but will add two here for posterity. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Jasonberkeley, 308 GTB and Robb like this.
  23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    That's a nice F355 Challenge! Congratulations to the new owner.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Robb and timhood like this.
  24. pj911

pj911 Karting

Jun 10, 2005
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    PJ
    Thank you...I'm excited to have it in my garage and look forward to driving it!

ewright and Robb like this.