I'm back in an F12! | FerrariChat

I'm back in an F12!

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by colonels, Feb 15, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    Hello all just recently bought a white 2016 F12 and absolutely love it.

I have been cheating on Ferrari with AMG and McLaren but like a loyal customer I've come back to the fold. This will be my 3rd ferrari and so far it has been the best! I grew up wanting to be Magnum PI so I bought a red 458 spider. Now I'm channeling my inner Sonny Crockett in his white Testarossa!

My impressions on the F12 are that it is similar in that big long nosed bullet train way like an AMG GTS. But it is way more agile than that car. The light steering makes the car feel and act more nimble. The throttle is immediate and never ending. Both AMG and McLaren have much more subdued throttle response and you have to really keep them above 3k rpm to get the same lighting quick action. Same with brakes. I would say it's actually too sensitive.

But the biggest difference by far is the noise. Mclaren has a decent sound even though turbocharged but it was never what I would call beautiful. It was loud and screamed at high rpms like my 458 and it let you know you were going fast. The AMG was low and grumbling like an angry cat. It liked to backfire and gurgle on hard throttle release and it was savage but I would never call it beautiful. The F12 sound is quite simply put beautiful. The harmonics are symphonic. My Bently W12 never sounded like this. It's hard to describe just watch any video review and you'll get it. Or better yet go pick one up and join the club!

x z8 and mthompson2376 like this.
  2. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Great news, congratulations! Pictures?

3. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Sounds great. I just yesterday traded a FF for a Bentley v8s. I am really thinking of a f12 for my summer car and the Bentley as a winter car. I loved my ff for 4 months but reliability was an issue. I had the extended warranty so all good. I am thinking perfect scenario is a v12 engine ferrari for the summer. F12 is a bunch lighter than the ff too. Couch Bentley for the winter.
    Congratulations on the purchase!

4. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I was always able to get a lot of good overrun noises when downshifting the wife's AMG in RACE mode with manual shift. I agree with the reduced throttle response and that was something I didn't like about it but my wife never noticed. She drives her Port in auto, still hasn't learned how to use the paddles. She tells me that her car likes me better becuase I drive it harder.

I drive it like Ken Miles told that MGB owner to drive his in Ford vs Ferrari. Enjoy that F12 and post some pictures please.

5. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    Great move back to a FERRARI V12. I had an AMG GTS and agree it had the same proportions but it was too stiffly sprung and reached its handling limits much more quickly. I loved the sound of the 6.3 engine-pure NASCAR.
    The Ferrari sound especially in the V12 however is pure heaven.
    Enjoy and welcome back!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i believe the same V12 was in the FF. let me know how it compares to the newer bentley V8 turbos.

7. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i keep it in manual (race and bumpy, just like my 458) and above 4k rpms most of the time just to hear it sing. it's brutal on mpg tho. oddly enough the pitch and hum reminds me of the older BMW V6s.

switching rims will post pics after

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No such thing.

350MH83 likes this.
  9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    BMW V8 or straight 6. No V6 which misses the point of the straight 6 where the firing order is dynamically balanced.

A V12 is just two straight 6s tied together. That’s why I love my Ferrari V12 so much after a lifetime of BMW straight 6s.

11. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    sounds a little like my old 330i ya inline 6, just a little lol

12. jac

jac Karting

Nov 4, 2005
    Full Name:
    jack cohen
    Yes same motor I believe. To quickly give you both sides without derailing the thread my 458 spider is 100 out of 100. The FF was 85 % of the driving fun but had a back seat for the daughter and the awd necessary for NY. The Bentley is like 60% of the fun but meant to be smooth and comfortable. It totally does that. So my thoughts are Bentley daily driver IF you need awd. Then another summer car aka f12 is hot on my radar. I plan to keep the 458 and Bentley and add a F12. The Bentley v8 is really great the ff v12 is pretty epic but not necessarily needed for a daily driver. TT V8 grunt is on tap always ff v12 needs some revs but sings.

13. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The good thing about cheating is that it allows one to make comparisons and often realize that coming back is the best thing despite the adventure. I have had the opportunity of driving my F12 very fast and slow and also in various motorways and back roads and paraphrasing what someone already wrote I feel that is a car that according to your mood you can tailor to be any Ferrari you like. The F12 was during the last two decades one of the Ferrari's models that received more consensual opinions about its design, the engine quality and the overall performance. That has been reflected in the number of international awards granted:

- Supercar of the year 2012 by BBC Top Gear Magazine

- The Sunday Times Driving 2012 Best Supercar and Luxury Car

- Auto Bild Design Award 2012

- Best performance engine above 4 liters in the International Engine of the Year Awards 2013

- AutoDesign Award 2013 from AutoDesign&Styling

- The Compasso d’Oro 2014 (Golden Compass) which is one of the oldest and most prestigious international design accolades.

The F12 was revealed on the 27th February 2012 almost 8 years ago. It will certainly be remembered for being the last Ferrari that wears the Pininfarina name and also for being a GT that has a timeless design and an overall performance that has been unmatched for many years in this segment. Even today, I can’t think of any other car brand that makes a production GT car that comes close to the F12 in terms of performance and sonority.

Enjoy your F12 as much as you can and please don't cheat on it this time.:)

Solid State and Makuono like this.
  14. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    I think this one may have a permanent spot in the garage. From a design standpoint I prefer it over the 812 and even the TDF. And since both those are out of my price range it made the decision that much easier.

MDEL likes this.