The Kobe Bryant crash | Page 7 | FerrariChat

The Kobe Bryant crash

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Juan-Manuel Fantango, Jan 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Sounds like powered flight into terrain to me.

Jedi and ChipG like this.
  2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Yup, unfortunately. A sucker hole that did not work out.

ChipG likes this.
  3. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Agree. The next theory will be how aliens showed up in the fog, stopped time to get Kobe’s autograph and crashed the aircraft to avoid detection.

I guess the preliminary NTSB report must have been done by complete idiots since they didn’t include aliens.

I wonder why the most likely answer is the hardest for people to accept.

4. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The NTSB report specifically did not include a cause for the crash. With regards to the engines, what it said was that there was no "catastrophic" internal damage.

I still do not believe that the pilot was disoriented. He could have been panicked. He could have come up with a really bad "Plan B". But to deliberately do a 180, and try and get under the ceiling instead of getting above it, without notifying the tower of his change in plans is odd to say the least.

5. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    and they never do in their preliminary (less than 30 days) report. They will specifically state actual or probable causes in the final report, likely late 2020 or early 2021.

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Right.

Regarding the engines:

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/Documents/DCA20MA059-Investigative-Update.pdf

There is no mention of tip curl in the No. 1 engine.

Also, in the last transmission heard, the pilot told the tower he was climbing to 4,000'. This was received @ 9:45. The same minute the ship went into a steep dive and crashed.

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I think the preliminary NTSB report stated both engines were turning at impact, something along those lines. I could have misread that.

-F

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    They only said that about the No. 2 engine.

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    No they did not. They made no mention of the No 1 engine, and you are only making presumptions based on your stated bias that there was a possible mechanical failure. Do not draw conclusions regarding no mention of No 1.

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You are creating a straw man. I have no bias, I made no presumption, I draw no conclusion. I merely put forth a theory based on the facts.

However, the NTSB report did not state that "both engines were turning at impact".

11. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    The official and final NTSB report won't be out for many months

12. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    No, but they did say that evidence was that the main and tai rotors were both powered at impact. Most likely, they couldn't find enough pieces of the other engine to verify whether it was running or not. However, there is NO reason to believe that it wasn't running.

Rifledriver likes this.
  13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm sure one engine is enough to power the rotors. The reason to believe the other engine might not have been running is the sudden loss of altitude. The report said that they did find both engines and that there was "no evidence of an uncontained or catastrophic internal failure". I posted a link in #156, at least take the time to read it.

14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think, given that you express such strong opinions, you should tell us your aviation credentials. I'm an ATP and CFI, with a commercial rotorcraft-helicopter rating (although admittedly not a lot of helicopter time). You?

Jaguar36 and INRange like this.
  15. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I'm retired.

16. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Nice Reconstruction:

This gets me thinking that if the witness could see the ship from 50', the pilot surely could have seen the mountain before that, and taken evasive maneuvers.

17. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I'm happy to be just a dumb ol' guy watching what's going on. Ain't got no credentials.

INRange likes this.
  18. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    But you have more aviation experience than the rest of us put together! I read your book...

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Thanks but I'm nothing but a chaser and dabbler. My credential; PPL 516086

donv likes this.
  20. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    Every pilot that I have spoken to, and there are three Navy helo pilots that I have spoken to separately, have all said the same thing to me. They said vertigo, disorientation, and that the pilot was looking for a hole in the fog to put her down and ran into the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

INRange likes this.
  21. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Being rationale and talking to experts does not seem to have an affect on someone who keeps coming up with alternative theories that run counter to the most likely cause.

The accident resulted in a tragic loss of life. At this point....there is little reason to suspect the aircraft.

Pis7a2020, donv and Rifledriver like this.
  22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course.

23. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    So you think the NTSB should just close the case now ? No need for further investigation ? That seems to be your position.

24. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I'd say it comes far closer to your opinion than his.

Me, I'm sticking to the unicorn theory.

INRange likes this.
  25. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I believe the English language speaks for itself: At this point....there is little reason to suspect the aircraft.

The NTSB has a job to do which is to look at all aspects of the accident. That means the pilot, aircraft and flying conditions. Additionally, they formulate recommendations that relate to the accident if it was deemed preventable. That may mean mandatory refits of technology such as black box recording devices, better terrain warning systems and updated guidance to the air traffic controllers involved in this accident.

Human beings love to blame others or things for their mistakes. If it wasn't the aircraft then blame ATC for not telling him "you are flying too low". You can blame his company for not installing better flight management systems and the list goes on. In the end there is only one guy that made the decisions that doomed that aircraft and all the souls onboard.

But if you would like to continue to second guess the obvious....feel free to do so.