2020 WEC: Hypercar Class | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2020 WEC: Hypercar Class

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jgonzalesm6, Jun 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Looks to me they were desperate to get some more entries so they allowed pretty much any car to be entered and added BoP on top just to give a semblance of actual racing. Still can’t be any worse than it is now.

2. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Yes it can. We are talking the ACO with BoP. As I stated on another thread....U S Marine Gunnery Sargent Thomas Highway defined this. We simply now need a new recruit to put the plan into effect.

Cue the French National Anthem!

3. maha

maha F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    dinajpur, bangladesh
    Full Name:
    mahmud
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Peugeot will join forces with existing LMP1 outfit Rebellion Racing for its forthcoming hypercar project in the FIA World Endurance Championship.

The announcement follows the news last month that Peugeot will return to the top flight of sportscar racing in 2022 with a hybrid-powered contender with which it will bid for a fourth victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Rebellion's current LMP1 programme will be merged into Peugeot Sport's operation based in Satory near Paris, where the 908 HDi FAP programme was operated from 2007 until the French marque's withdrawal from sportscar racing in early 2012.

No mention was made of Rebellion's existing chassis partner Oreca, which had previously been linked to a role in a potential Peugeot hypercar programme.

PSA motorsport boss Jean-Marc Finot commented: “The programme will kick off in 2022 and we are extremely happy to be teaming up with one of endurance racing’s big names.

"Rebellion Racing’s experience of the FIA WEC will be a big asset as we put together the strongest possible team for our programme, and this was corroborated by the team’s recent victory in Shanghai.

"The roles will be divided as a function of our respective competencies but we will form a single entity working out of Versailles-Satory."

The news follows Rebellion's first on-the-road outright victory in the WEC last month in Shanghai with its Oreca-built R-13.

With Peugeot's hypercar contender not expected to race until the 2022/23 season, it raises the prospect of the R-13 continuing beyond the conclusion of the current 2019/20 campaign as a grandfathered LMP1 against new machinery from Toyota and Aston Martin.

Rebellion owner Alexandre Pesci commented: “I believe that the passion of our two companies speaks for us as a common and simple language.

"Together, we are going to build a car and team to compete in what promises to be a fiercely-contested championship as we seek to begin a successful record together.”

4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    NürScud likes this.
  5. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    Ferrari was one of the Manufacturers that was in the conference room, so maybe an LMDh could be possible, a Dallara with Ferrari engine would be like a new 333SP.
    http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/01/24/imsa-aco-agree-route-to-top-class-prototype-convergence.html

6. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    I was there 6 months ago in the FIA/ACO meting when Ferrari made it clear that there will never be a Ferrari factory LeMans program. As a customer program (Michelotto) maybe, but would need a number of customers to sign up first.

Devilsolsi likes this.
  7. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    This LMDh category could even kill Hypercar before it was born !!

I am not convinced.

GT3 racing has never been more appealing to me !

8. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  9. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    maha likes this.
  10. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
  11. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    You are right here there is a contradiction, but you remember that the 333SP had the chassis built by Dallara, so it wouldn't be bad to use a Dallara chassis to build the LMDh.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Yes, but in that case Ferrari would have to share the homologated Dallara chassis with other potential constructors.
    I can't see nothing wrong with it, but it wouldn't be their own chassis.

13. 444sp

444sp Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2016
    In that case they should choose to build a Hypercar, although I understand that an LMDh is cheaper.
    I just ask it to happen, I would love to see a Ferrari in the fight for the Overall victory in Le Mans.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    The latest news is that Rebellion pulled out of the deal and will stop all participation in motor racing and close the team after the 2020 Le Mans race.

Peugeot, in the other hand, says their project will go ahead.

Flavio_C likes this.
  15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Oreca has now pulled out of working on the hypercar project to focus solely on LMDh.

16. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    I don't know why but I always felt that Rebellion was a suspicious business...

17. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In the mean time, Aston Martin cancels its Le Mans Hypercar program...

18. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Unfortunately yes...however i can't find the reason why. They have already sold out Valkyrie's road version.

19. 88porsche944

88porsche944 Rookie

Oct 25, 2006
  20. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Rebellion is just a sponsor; they are watchmakers.
    The team was Sebah ... something.

21. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Aston Martin is ailing, they can't afford a racing programme at that level, IMO.
    Also, the Valkyries are built by Multimatic (like the Ford FT) and are a bit alien to the Aston brand.
    Lawrence Stroll investing in AM, has decided to cut the loss-making projects and rationalise the range.