Official 308 GT4 Market Thread | Page 127 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GT4 Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by guygowrie, May 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Anything coming up at Scottsdale?

davem likes this.
  2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Fair price for a car that’s going to need a bit of work.

absostone likes this.
  4. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I agree , Not sure how much the premium is for a Euro. If that thing is 54k I guess 80k is the target for mine

6. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    agreed.

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I wonder if anyone has an idea of how much more a euro is worth over a US? 20%? or what. Cause that car didn't look like 40k to me. But in all honesty I dint follow it closely

8. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    I'm thinking many many of these were seriously neglected, even junked when considered stepchildren, so now that interest has picked up (tastes have matured), decent cars are commanding a nice premium.

9. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I think it’s riding the coattails of Scottsdale a little. It Seems like a good driver. A euro in the USA should bring a bit of a premium

11. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
  12. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Well it looks like pretty decent candidate for a full restoration if that's where to new owner wants to go but there are some issues. That rear marker light shouldn't be on a Euro and it's located below the belt line, it's above the belt line on a US model. Don't know what that (button?) on the right side of the license plate area is. Trunk release? Obvious rust areas and some cracking. What's with the "pebble tek paint" on the rockers, not correct and lord knows what that is hiding--nothing I hope. Drive train needs cosmetic work if not complete rebuild. The video shows a pretty good runner overall. Heard a bit of a clunk when he shifted into 5th. Syncro's usually aren't much of a problem especially in 5th. Maybe he just hit the gate. A full restoration is going to run 50k to 70k from what I can see. Hope the new owner enjoys his Dino which ever way he decides to go. Drive it as is and have fun or start writing some checks for the restoration.

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    50-70?
    If it doesn’t need an engine rebuild.

14. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Vizsla, you got that right. Having bought a fully restored GT4 well north of 100k I know what it takes. If it's restored properly, and considering the purchase price the new owner should be right on the money for a "one of the best". No big money to be made but as with me not the most important consideration. To the new owner please enjoy it but keep your eyes open wide. These cars are just starting to come into their own. All things considered, good buy.

VIZSLA likes this.
  15. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    $57,225 all in, before shipping...Idk about a good buy. I think this was $10K over a good buy. I say that because even without an engine rebuild (if it doesn't need one), a proper strip, prep and rectification of the body for a paint job, and then said paint job could easily run north of $30K, start getting into the engine and gearbox, let's say we're over $100K now easy. Will it be a platinum car at $100K+? guess the new owner gets to decide how far they wish to go :)

16. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    Again I think you are right. Sometimes as I said $ isn't the most important part--but we aren't stupid right? After all it's a Enzo era old school Ferrari.

19633500GT likes this.
  17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    In the last six years I’ve put much more money into my car than I can expect to get back.
    I’ve also had over thirty thousand miles of priceless fun.
    Some of the best money I’ve ever spent.

18. Stephen B.

Stephen B. Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bailey
    VIZSLA, right there with you. When I row through the gears on a mountain road it's wonderful. The most fun you can have with your clothes on. The experience can't be translated into money!

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    True, experience can not be traded for money and the experience you get with these cars is amazing.

Speaking of money spent, I actually totaled up the money I spent on my GT4 over the years, because I needed to calculate my basis for tax purposes as I technically made a profit on the car when I sold it last year. In 15 years of ownership, I spent well north of $40k. But worth every penny.

VIZSLA likes this.
  20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    And the friendships.

Dom likes this.
  21. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Lots of misinformation posted there.... I was going to say something but dont want together involved! HA

22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    spill it Rob

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Yes, this car has “Euro Cams” already, as it lacks emissions equipment and related timing. One quick give away as to engine type is the cam cover and engine support bracket – on “US Spec” 308s this is cast and not the separate bolt-on bracket as on this car. And just to add to the confusion, the 308GTB had same configuration but dry sump, then back to wet sump in GTS.

Actually this is still just a US car with the smog stuff removed, built after my US car 10766. The truth is the euro cars rear cam covers don't have the smog pump bracket cast in, which is on his car, on the right, although missing the pump, as on the left where cam shaft is sticking out missing the the smog pump pulley. No big deal just inaccurate. Both US and Euro cars have a separate support dog bone bracket......... I think the later GTB/S could be different, but that is not where my expertise allows me to comment accurately.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Nino1964 likes this.
  24. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Oh yea I see I did read that and blew it off