550 running warm - ideas? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

550 running warm - ideas?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TheZinger, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
  2. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    Yes, I checked the coolant level. A tiny bit low, but nothing that would have resulted in cooling deficiency such as this. Further, my blew a cooling hose about two months ago, so the system has been flushed.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this... isn't the air bleed right on the very top of the thermostat housing? How could it be positioned in any way other than the uppermost? (I'm not being snarky, I'm just getting ready to start this and would prefer not to repeat anyone else's mistakes). :)

Just to confirm, you're talking about the bleed screw (#5 in the image below) on the top of the thermostat housing, correct?
    [​IMG]

Looks like standard issue bleeding procedure... I was all prepared for multiple bleed locations, strange procedures, etc... lol.

3. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    There’ a little hole in the thermostat itself

4. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Kai, what he meant is the hole in the thermostat unit itself

5. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

take an IR gun and shoot the hoses off the thermostat
    with the engine running that should confirm if a thermostat is opening or not
    that most likely is you issue
    its a straight forward job
    just bleed the system and you should be good to go
    its highly unlikely you have a bad temp sensor

6. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai

Didn’t even need the IR gun - I could still hold the hose, so it wasn’t working. Used the handy dandy cross reference guide on this site and got my $12 Ebay thermostat, bought the new seals from Ricambi and I’m back on the road again.

I have to say, I was super paranoid about the bleed process. I’ve read so many people writing about how difficult it is to bleed these cars properly. Maybe it’s because I’m used to working on old crappy BMWs, but I honestly felt the process was super easy.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for their input. Another problem solved by this great resource.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero
    glad you got it done
    so many people are afraid to work on these cars
    I tell them remember this
    we put a man on the moon not the Italians !
    you now have the confidence to so other repairs

8. TheZinger

TheZinger Rookie

Oct 5, 2019
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Kai
    I mean, I’ve been working on older BMWs for upwards of two decades now, so I know my way around cars. That being said I’ve never had a vehicle like this before, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wasn’t a little bit intimidated.

The biggest difference between what I’m used to working on this, is if you screw up with an old BMW, you can find a replacement part, etc etc. These cars, not so much. There was a lot of triple checking lol.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app