430 - Small annoyance- help! | FerrariChat

430 Small annoyance- help!

Discussion in '360/430' started by dweintra, Feb 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA and Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I have been enjoying my new to me F430. Fortunately the only thing I don’t like (other than the Becker radio of course) is some feedback I get in the car. It seems like the alternator whine that increases with engine speed.

My audio is stock as far as I know.

Anyone run into this?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

I'd think somebody did some hack job on the wiring. Things like connecting a wire to a fuse or permanent 12v would cause this.

Take out the head unit and see if they are really stock wire-wise.

If everything's good, you probably can borrow another car's same head unit to see if the whine is still there. If it went away, its your head unit.

3. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    ok that is helpful. I will be sure to report back the results.

4. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    dweintra likes this.
  5. shifter

shifter Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2004
    Danville, Ca
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I have a similar issue when streaming Bluetooth, using the Decker bt module. In my case it only happens with Bluetooth so I plan to replace my module and see if it helps.

Otherwise Id check ground wires.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

dweintra likes this.
  6. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    I noticed an electrical whine through radio when I had a usb phone charger plugged into 12v socket, not sure if this is the same thing

dweintra likes this.
  7. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    All of these things are a result of noise from the alternator- by no means Ferrari specific. Clean up the supply and you should see an improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Let me get this straight, you guys play the radio when you drive your Ferraris?:D

JaguarXJ6 likes this.
  9. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub
    I wanted to update this thread. I removed the radio to install a bluetooth adaptor. While in there, I actually completely unplugged the Becker 6112 and when the car is running there is still the same whine coming out of speakers. It seems to be more pronounced on the passenger door speakers.

So I believe I ruled out the stereo or connections to the stereo as the culprit. Any ideas what to check next? If not, I will leave it to the shop when it goes in for next service.....but I am not going to bother to bring it in for just this annoyance. thx

10. USMCS6

USMCS6 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    It could be a bad diode in the alternator. It lets AC voltage in to the DC bus., It can come through the power amp.You may be able to use a multi meter set on AC to check the voltage. It happens to aircraft all the time.

11. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Full Name:
    Don Weintraub

Thanks.....I see. If it is the culprit, can I install a filter or do I have to replace the alternator to get rid of the whine?

12. USMCS6

USMCS6 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 21, 2018
    Arlington VA and Daytona Fl
    Full Name:
    Elliot
    You could put a filter capacitor inline, but with the amount of electronics in these cars I would be concerned about the stray AC voltage.

dweintra likes this.