Superautomatic Coffee Machine - Jura E8 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Superautomatic Coffee Machine - Jura E8

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by ASK328, Mar 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sure that water helps.
    We use the finest well water from the back yard, through a conditioning system, then through a Brita. I had it tested at a local lab this past fall and everything looked good. Hope all their instruments and methods were up to speed.

2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Can anyone recommend a good, strong dark coffee (I don’t drink coffee, this is for someone else. I have one of those machines that water drips onto the grounds. Shows you what I know)

3. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    My personal opinions:
    Starbucks dark roasts are uniformly undrinkable; pike place is passable.
    Stumptown may be available at your local grocer; “hairsplitter” is nice.
    Intelligentsia is another not bad brand you may see on the shelf.
    If you have a local place that roasts their own beans, picking up a couple bags there of something recommended would likely be appreciated.

4. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    Sure! We discovered Bieder & Meier on a trip to Vienna a couple of months ago. They offer niche roasts and #4 is borderline almost too strong but #3 is terrific and comes in either a 75/25 blend or Forza, a 50/50 blend of Arabica and Robusta. If you live in the USA, you're limited to the 50/50 and you'll be buying it from European Deli, a third party importer, but if you live in Europe you can get it directly from B&M.

5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Thank you.

clonmeliw likes this.
  6. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Have 2 of the little Delonghi machines...agree w "adequate", may even go "adequate +", highly dependent on bean quality.
    We use Lavazza + dominican "Cafe Santo Domingo". Prefer dominican
    Great CS. While under warranty, machine develops a leak. Call Delonghi CS, they ask to video chat.
    We do, they see leak, ask my wife to cut the cord on the old machine while "live" and ship us a new one.
    While I'd rather see them repair/refurb the old one, I can't complain.

7. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Howdy. NYC Fred...this brand?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    T

8. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #59 tomc, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Excellent. Thanks. Running low on the Bustelo, so I just ordered a brick of their espresso roast from Amazon...T

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #60 wax, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Yeah, that powdered Mexican Granny Cocoa comes in a box of 8 "envelopes" - about the same size as a box of envelopes & packets are akin to Carnation Instant Breakfast.

______

With the DeLonghi -

A] Let the middle Green light stay On eh, 15 seconds before pressing middle button On to dispense.

B] Press middle button Off when light goes back to Red.

A] [Repeat]

B] [Repeat]

C] Steam Milk. Takes far less than most assume to create massive amount of thick foam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

tomc likes this.
  11. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Looking on Amazon for Bustelo - did you find one brick or get a multi pack?

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We usually get a multipack. 4 pack of 10 oz bricks. It's a3rd party shipper, TheNewMall. The Bustelo I got yesterday was at Kroger though. Was on sale. $6 for 2 bricks...T

NbyNW likes this.
  13. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    #63 arizonaitalian, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    sigh...ok, I'm going to tell the story...because I trust you guys...I guess :D

So, I'm not super into coffee as you can likely tell from my earlier posts...we end up in the most-impressive coffee shop I've ever seen in Marrakech. Its got a little retail store and then a large colonial-era, very elegant coffee serving room. The whole place is old-world elegance...and the retail store has $4000+ coffee serving sets (ceramic cups, glasses, ceramic pot) that supposedly some Russian Tzar and some local King drank from. The store also has too-many-to-count types of beans to smell and buy. They have a large fancy grinder that has different grind settings for the various ways you might make the coffee (if you choose for them to grind it).

So...we go in there and smell some coffees and they really do have amazing stuff and from places I've not seen before. Huge and interesting variety. We decide to get some to try at home. They sell the usual bag that holds perhaps 1lb. I ask how much and the guy says "well there is a range, but the average is about $20/lb".

We continue to smell some more and I ask "what is that one with the funny name", pointing at one labeled "Kopi Luwak" that I didn't recognize. As many of you know, that is the coffee where a mammal eats the coffee berries and then poops them out and some idiot goes and picks up the poop, cleans it I suppose, and then makes coffee beans out of it. Then a bigger idiot is found, who then buys it and drinks it. Or something like that...

Anyhow, I'd heard of this crazy poop coffee somewhere along the line (I can picture Alton Brown telling me about it, but maybe it wasn't really him). But I had no idea I'd ever see it in person, it let alone consider buying it. And, when they told me I didn't have to fill a bag all the way up to the top, I decided to get a "a bit" of that to try. We agree on 150g (about 1/3 lb) of the beans. We obviously were not going to make espresso out of it. No, we wanted to make that coffee in a french press. But we don't have a grinder at home other than the one built into our automatic machine (that turns out to be an important part of the story - see below). So we couldn't buy whole beans, thus we had them grind it for us.

We then decide to go to their cafe and try a few before making some final choices and buying all of our beans/ground coffee to take home...however, in the end, we didn't love the ones we tried in the cafe, and just decided to get our Kopi Luwak and go home. I go to the register to pay for the ground kopi luwak coffee with $20 in my hand, thinking at $20/lb and buying 1/3 lb, I'd have enough even if it was 3x the average price.

Now comes the part the knowledgeable folks here have been awaiting...the sticker shock part...

Store clerk: "It comes to $130"

Me: "What the...that's gotta be around $400 per pound?!?"

Him: "Yes, this coffee is more than the average price we mentioned."

Me: "More? Yeah, 20 times more! I would have appreciated a heads-up on that..."

Him: "Sorry"

Me: "Damn. Why did I have you grind it, dammit. It would be going back into your bin if I hadn't. Sigh...dammit. I guess I gotta buy it now."

So...a sucker and his money are soon parted. And, it seems a sucker is indeed born everyday. On my birthday long-ago, it turns out the sucker born that day was me. :eek:

This sucker is going to suck down some very expensive poop coffee one day soon, I'll post notes here...

tomc likes this.
  14. clonmeliw

clonmeliw Karting

Aug 27, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Jeff Fischer
    OUCH! But here's the deal...Kopi is amazing and unbelievably smooth. It also is ridiculously expensive to harvest, particularly if it's wild and not farm raised because the Indonesians need to scour the woods looking for it - think truffles or caviar - it's very much the same sort of deal and commensurately priced. Don't think of yourself as a sucker, more of an adventurer. Enjoy the experience, savor the taste, and break it out for special occasions. You know that tingle and feeling of pride you get when you break out the F car either for some "me" time or to indoctrinate a friend? Same thing with Kopi. If you get over the buy in price and decide to take the plunge again, there's a small, independent roaster in Jersey - Lavanta - who will sell you a freshly roasted to order pound on line. Depending on whether they're having a sale at the time you'll be paying something like $115-140 but resist the temptation to settle for one of the cheaper Kopi blends - go for the 100%. And if you're not sure and just want to give it a try, you can get a couple of ounces for 20 bucks.

NbyNW and arizonaitalian like this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    +1 on all this. My wife got me a half pound of Kopi a few years back for Xmas. We waited until our BFFs visited to bust it out. As I recall, we did pour over. May have been French press. Low acidity, smooth. A nice cuppa Joe. I couldn't resist and used a little for a 1 oz espresso shot. Not the ideal extraction method.

OK, now to the Debbie Downer portion. It is my understanding that much of the supply now comes from farmed kopi. And the little guys and gals are not kept in the nicest conditions.

T

arizonaitalian likes this.
  16. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  17. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Help!

we made it this morning and the reaction was a solid “meh”.

I used a French press and 4 tablespoons of ground coffee and 2 cups water. Brew time of 4 minutes with spring water that I let stop boiling before adding...Ania tried hers with a bit of skim milk, mine was black.

It seems weak...and certainly unexciting and not great coffee by any measure...

suggestions?

18. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. If it's weak, add more coffee!

Seriously, I would think about making smaller batches & drinking it straight until you dial in the water to coffee ratio that you and Ania like.

This seems a good overview.

https://www.drinktrade.com/how-tos/best-french-press-coffee

T

19. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    thanks. We tried pretty much their exact recommendations, except we put more coffee to water than they mention (hoping for richer coffee). But it wasn't enough. We will try more next time. We are also going to try the Moka pot as well, and maybe even figure out how to feed ground coffee into the automatic machine (it does it, but we have never tried it).

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Moka Pot will be strongest, as ratio tips in favor of grounds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    tomc likes this.
  22. arizonaitalian

Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    My go-to espresso when in the USA (its got a lot of chocolate flavors). Looking forward to getting back onto this coffee bean when we move back to the USA later this year...

Great people in a great little local business. I get my beans from them from the roasting site, usually packaged from that day's roasting and in my machine the next morning.

23. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    So all i need to do is put coffee beans thru the mechanical equivalent of a civet's digestive tract and you guys will pay me $130 a pound for coffee?

Neater harvesting, too.

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Chemical equivalent would be more like it based on what I've read. Although I've seen a few technical papers that claim that there really isn't much different, chemically speaking, pre and post digestive tract for the beans. Another story I read said that civets are connoisseurs who select the choicest, ripest beans.
    T