car design thread | Page 389 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    of2worlds, furmano and colombo2cam like this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    of2worlds likes this.
  4. Qvb

Qvb F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca.
    Full Name:
    John Dixon
    Maybe post this in the "name the car" thread :D

energy88 and jm2 like this.
  5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    They all appear to be Chinese makes by now. ;)

6. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Lexus bringing digital side-view mirrors to Europe. Looks a bit odd now with that camera arm hanging out all by itself.

Wonder if this will replace Blind Spot Monitors?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NeuroBeaker and jm2 like this.
  7. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  8. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    ODD addition - will it be be safer than mirrors? may be a distraction or I may just be old.

9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The insidious growing grille syndrome:
    https://www.caranddriver.com/features/columns/a30145192/genesis-g90-grille/?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBCD&src=socialflowFBCAD&utm_medium=social-media&fbclid=IwAR0vb_bBFBn3aATrXB_KLQgzeUrS6O55lLf-VudMQ8azOJ-7yoJgJ2vB5Bw

Genesis G90's Grille: Mouth Without a Face

Massive grilles have devoured the front ends of vehicles, like automotive lampreys.

By Daniel Pund
    FEB 8, 2020

Car and Driver
    In the spirit of public service for which this periodical has become famous, we bring to your attention a matter of terrible importance. We've ignored it for too long already. But frankly, we haven't been strong enough to come face to face with the hideous truth: There is a disease spreading within our community.

Its devastation reaches nearly every corner of every city and town in this and increasingly every other country on earth. Why, just today, I received fresh evidence of its impact in an email from a multinational conglomerate. Am I to ignore it yet again? Should I look away as I, and so many of us, have done, simply because it makes me retch? And when I say retch, I mean wave after wave of savage retroperistalsis that leaves me physically spent and delirious. Those in neighboring office cubes are unable to snack normally for days. I shall not look away, though. We shall not look away. Not this time.

Grille Me
    BMW Concept 4, Crazy Grille and All
    The 2020 Lexus GX460 Gets an Even Crazier Grille
    Why the BMW 7-Series Has a Massive Grille
    Gaze, if you're able, at this picture of the next Genesis G90. I promise you that I have not modified the photo in any way, not even by means of the Facebook Messenger filter that makes your mouth look massive and makes me and my younger daughter cackle with delight. Every. Single. Time. Yes, the company actually intends to sell this vehicle to the public looking like this, grotesquely (and pointlessly) huge grille and all. It's not easy to tell from the picture below, but precious little of the G90's grille acreage is actually open to allow air to pass through to the radiator. You will recall that the passage of air for cooling is the purpose of grilles. Or it was. If the new purpose of a grille is almost entirely to define a car as having come from a particular brand, then what does it say about that brand if its front ends just look like sections of chain-link fence?

We're picking on Genesis only because its release is the most recent in a long line of troublingly absurd grilles. Have you seen a Chevy Camaro lately? Or a Silverado? Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, they don't even have faces anymore! Their grilles have devoured their front ends. They have become mouths without faces, like automotive lampreys.

And it's not just Asian and American cars that are showing evidence of this. Have a gander at the BMW 7-series sedan and X7 SUV. Their grilles no longer look like kidneys (psst, they never actually did). They now appear to be giant gleaming buckteeth. The company's designers invariably blame American and Chinese tastes for this ridiculous tastelessness. Well, they do unless American journalists are around, in which case they will simply blame the Chinese market.

Part of the problem is that we—the buyers, designers, and enthusiasts of automobiles—are human. As a species, we're doomed to see human faces everywhere we look, even where they don't exist. Seriously, we all walk around with a section of our brain devoted to recognizing faces; it's called the fusiform gyrus. Automotive designers understand this. It's why Dodge Chargers have horizontal, canted headlights. It makes them look tough and maybe a little angry, just the image the company wants its neo muscle car to present. And if headlights are the eyes of a car, then the grille is the mouth. You can't help but see it that way. You're wired to see it that way. And as insensitive as it might be, we're also programmed to be uncomfortable when those features are out of whack.

So what's with all the wrong automotive faces, then? It is my contention that what we're seeing is the result of widespread prosopometamorphopsia. This disorder (which exists, by the way) causes sufferers to perceive faces in a distorted way. Noses are askew. Teeth look huge. Features are misplaced, cartoonlike. Its cause, in this case, is thought (by me) to result from an art-school overexposure to spray mount, Bestine solvent, clove-cigarette smoke, and angst. Or it could be that China-market thing. I don't know.

furmano and anunakki like this.
  10. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    That’s because if they are completely open, it hurts aero. Some mfg are going to ‘shuttered’ grilles that open and close at speed to improve aero.

of2worlds, NbyNW and energy88 like this.
  12. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Our new Aviator has shutters in front of the radiator, behind the grill. Where they are suggests it’s more for heating / cooling?

13. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Can’t speak to the Aviator, but the shutters in front of the radiator are usually for aero reasons. Every vehicle is different.

NbyNW likes this.
  14. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    First car I heard of with aero shutters was the Focus when it was introduced I believe..

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  16. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I dig it

furmano and jm2 like this.
  17. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Its natural when non-designers are overseeing designers. Back in my SPFX design days the producers would always want to enhance every creature design by making the 'danger' bigger and bigger. For example, 'we have to make the mouth and teeth even bigger!' was very common.

My guess is its the same thing here.

of2worlds, furmano and jm2 like this.
  18. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Aweful, aweful, aweful. If I was in a design review that's what I'd say to the designers. Stop with this crap!

BMW's new grills are worse than a Bangle Butt and that was pretty bad.

-F

NbyNW likes this.
  19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    "Make the logo bigger." Yeah, that sounds about right.

-F

anunakki likes this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Actually, I used to say that! :eek:

NbyNW and anunakki like this.
  21. energy88