458 and 488 price parity... | Page 8 | FerrariChat

458 and 488 price parity...

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dann0, Oct 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I drive mine to 7000 RPM all the time and it sounds just fine. Jamming on the accelerator does cause the revs to move up quickly but there is more than one accelerator position between zero and metal. Those produce good sounds and controllable acceleration that is suitable for public roads and aurally enjoyable. I think NA drivers don't understand this because they don't have much turbo driving experience.

2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not only did I pop into it. I drove the snot out of it! lol
    Everything feels solid. Even the turn signal buttons feel 1000x better. It just feels higher quality in every way. It is very similar looks-wise, I'm 50/50 preference on looks. The main thing that stands out is that they flattened out the "pods" that stick out left and right of the steering wheel. However, everytime I use the radio buttons, or car setup buttons on my car, I'm waiting for them to break. They just don't feel like quality buttons to me. The F8 buttons feel solid and appropriate.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #178 up4speed, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    You may be correct if you said that "some" NA drivers don't have the turbo experience, but I'm not one of them. I have PLENTY experience as well as track experience. I never said that the 488 was uncontrollable. Even though it's faster, I find it MORE controllable than the 458. However, it just picks up speed too fast which makes it "too fast" when beating on it. Yes, I could give less throttle and accelerate the exact same rate as my car, but then the car is literally half asleep, and doesn't feel fun. It's just too good. It's the same reason I couldn't stand my Porsche Turbo. It was just too boring for me unless I beat on it. A great tool is very different than a great toy. I use the Ferrari as a toy. If I bought it as a daily driver, I would ABSOLUTELY choose the 488 over the 458, no question.
    You also mentioned that "it sounds fine". I agree, it really does, and I think even better than fine. But fine is not amazing. I prefer my toy to sound amazing, and I also prefer it to keep me on my toes handling-wise. I prefer it to feel a little "lively". Both are amazing cars, but each person has different expectations of their car. If there was only one great car, we would all be driving the same car, and that would be ridiculously boring!

teak360, Avia11, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  4. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    I do have a McLaren, so I can compare.

The rpm‘s climbing up very fast added to the fact that sound doesn’t match with how fast you are driving makes you hit the limiter on and on unconsciously. The driver is very isolated of everything, that’s why you don’t realize gear change is about to come until you hit it.

Up4speed is right, for daily use 488 with eyes closed, for fun, 458 100%.

5. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My understanding is the 488 GTB and Spider use a "soft" rev-limiter- that gradually reduces power as you approach redline, making the chase to the redline slightly anti-climatic, its a very subtle thing and its due to the fact that the car has to estimate the amount of RPM in the turbos. Also the redline is 1,000 lower than the 458, and, the 458 revs slower, so theres more time to enjoy the experience. This goes to the old adage that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow". The irony is it was just a few years ago we'd be saying the same thing comparing the 458 to the 430... Progress...

Speaking of Progress, the Pista added a direct sensor to know the exact RPM of each turbo- this is straight out of F1 apparently. And in doing this, they could let you rev it right to the limiter- thus a "hard" limiter. I've driven all these cars and I can tell you is it works. The Pista and F8 are more thrilling to take to redline than the 488 GTB/Spider. With that said, its not like the 488 GTB/Spider are bad cars, they are fabulous cars, but as you would expect, they keep making improvements.

anishka, Avia11, Bundy and 2 others like this.
  6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Very nicely said, and accurate.

7. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Who do you recommend 488 for daily driver over 458? 458 is perfect as daily driver too, not?

8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    They are different as dailies. The gear ratios of the 488 makes for a calmer drive on a freeway for instance. The throttle modulation on the 488 is a million times better than in the 458. There are fewer squeaks and rattles. The ride is as firm as the 458, but better sorted. From a purely mechanical standpoint, yes they are quite equal as dailies. As to actually live with? 488 hands down.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    No no no.

Avia11 likes this.
  10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    wrs likes this.
  11. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I use my wife's FF as a daily driver. 488 daily would be boring. I did want to give it a try - test driven for an hour and knew the answer right away - keep my 458.

PhilNotHill and Avia11 like this.
  12. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Interesting. I figured boring would be better for most people for daily driving. I truly love my 458, and the fact that it's exciting, but figured that it may be too "lively" for daily duties. I think the 458 would perfect for local trips, but anything more than an hour tends to be too tiring, for me at least. I need to be on it all the time, and it can be a little darty (which I love when playing). I think that the 488 would have a more relaxed, smooth, and quieter ride more suited for that type of use. I don't really know because I didn't test drive it in that manner. I drove it more like a toy, and yes, I personally found it too boring for that.

13. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    One element that I really enjoy about the 488 is how calm and useful it can be when going around town or the odd getting stuck in traffic. Then, when the roads open up, getting on the gas and enjoying the machinery closer to how it was designed to be utilized is a real joy.
    I visualize car characteristics as having a spectrum from the daily docile to the more exciting exotic. 488, my opinion, has a very wide range. Because of this, I probably drive it more than most (2016 w ~14k m).
    I don’t have extensive seat-time in a 458 to validly compare the toy-driving experience however.
    Great cars all and it’s fortunate there are options available.

IloveGT, Bundy and up4speed like this.
  14. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I had my 458 spider out the other weekend on a very rutted and crazy twisty country road had a guy behind me with a 300 hp hatch back and he kept up with me all the way, if the road is winding the hp is not your friend at all, I'm not the best driver but still I feel more comfortable with my 911 on s twisting Roads and I'm sure with only thr 400 hp it has I would have got away from that guy no problem, even 458 is to much power for that situation
    Sent from my CLT-L09 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

up4speed likes this.
  15. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Not too many drivers on this planet are able to consistently extract full performance of the 458 on the public highways. Even if they were capable, it would be nuts to try, because there are way too many variables out of their control. It would eventually turn into a deadly game.
    If anyone thinks that the 458 isn't fast enough, and they don't track the car, then they are nuts. If they are talking about track use, then it's a whole different story.
    The exact part that I love about the 458 is that even at 3 or 4/10ths, the car is exciting to drive. Some other cars that I've driven, aren't fun until I start really driving them hard.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The issue with this reasoning is that apart from tracking, even the 458 is far too powerful. With all the rules and intangibles on public roads, I'm not sure what a sufficiently powerful car would be - maybe a 348, or even a 328?
    So again the 458 being at the exact turnaround point, making it the holy grail car, is a story I do not buy - but of course I am biased :D

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    No problem dailying the 458 Spider although shorter work commute 25 minutes morning and 20 minutes afternoon. Also take surface roads as much as possible so not stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic. The playful, lively handling is something I looked forward to each and every day. Enjoy the Huracan in the same way. Some say the 488 will be a better stoplight-to-stoplight daily with increased lower end torque and a smoother ride but I still get the opportunity to wind the RPMs past 6-7000 and for me it's hard to beat a screaming, N/A engine with 9000 RPM limit even on the work commute.

up4speed likes this.
  18. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    I think with 400 horsepower and 3100 lbs, turbo, will actually be more than sufficiently fun for spirited drive on local street/freeway. That's how I came to conclusion after comparison of Porsche gt4 and Lotus Evora 400. Done more than 10k miles in both. Daily drive is a different story. Long distance? Actually I would give the GT3 a tad higher score than the 458, because it is more planted.

19. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think it's the fact that the 458 isn't as planted and refined as others that gives it that fun factor, for me it's just got that sweet spot of power and drama I have been unable to find in other cars. Others I have tried are either to resolved so ultra fast but just don't have that fun factor anywhere under 160 mph which is was to fast for roads. In the 458 spider I'm having fun as much more reasonable speeds and I think it's this fun factor that makes the 458 hard to beat in that very narrow category a d why so many are sticking with them or adding more cars around their 458s

up4speed and Graz like this.
  20. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Is it likely 488 will eventually dip below 458?

21. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    Who knows, but likely.

22. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    F8 is the first car to come along that would get me out of my 458.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

PhilNotHill likes this.
  23. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #198 up4speed, Feb 14, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    Here's the thing. Even if you are not going crazy for a prolonged period of time. It feels pretty amazing to get on it (at least 3/4 throttle) from 10 or 20 mph up to 70 or 80, just to feel the G forces. I didn't get that same thrill with my 360. Another important thing is that the handling of the 458 is much more telepathic. I can comfortably put it into a drift and feel comfortable. Whereas, I was never fully comfortable doing that in the 360 because the 360 has snap oversteer (I think that's why they call it a 360, LOL). Additionally, the 458 electronic nannys work WAY better than the older cars (if they have any), They don't interfere too much (like they do in the 360), but they work seamlessly, and are priceless for drivers with a little less skill. In other words, the 458 is way faster, but in my opinion, also safer. So to answer your question, YES, I do feel like the 458 is the holy grail of automobiles!!
    You don't need to get up to stupid high speeds to enjoy the extra power and handling. The problem with high speeds is that as the speed doubles, your kinetic energy quadruples. That's why people get themselves in trouble.

PhilNotHill and SPOM13 like this.
  24. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have to agree. In your situation, your "commute" totally works perfectly with a 458. You get to essentially enjoy your "toy" every single day!

Surfah likes this.
  25. PTG1

PTG1 Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I am in agreement with this, when this happens 488 will be an absolute bargain