What’s the Sweet spot for # of Ferrari’s or Exotics?? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

What’s the Sweet spot for # of Ferrari’s or Exotics??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by plastique999, Aug 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    My current life:

Dodge Challenger Demon - daily driver
    Ferrari 458 spider - fun exotic
    Lincoln Navigator - wife’s car

Now if I had unlimited funds I would have a huge garage with probably 14 cars. I would then drive a different one every day to keep them all in good shape.

Warehouses with 150 cars make me sad because they are not being driven.

2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Ok if pinned down to the minimum.. one "needs" ;
    A vintage front engined Ferrari. Daytona is the standard go-to. Anything older than that qualifies if not automatic..
    A semi-modern no-holds barred nut job exotic like a F40, 50 or above. (Porsche Carrera too).
    A more rational daily exotic like a 458 Specialle or Scud.
    A guilt free open race car for the street like a built Caterham or Atom.

Thats it for minimum exotics.
    You can have more enjoyment with this collection actually driven than the King/Shaw/whatever of Brunei and his mothballed hoard.

plastique999 and G. Pepper like this.
  3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I like this...
    I need to work on a vintage V12 F car...
    I used to have a 211 for the track...was fun as all hell
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my 16M

4. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Just one. More than that you don't appreciate the first one you bought.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

5. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio

. “Sometimes”. Unfortunately, I’ve bought cars which turned out to be duds for me. Hence, the search turned out to be more fun than ownership. Then selling (still under ownership) is a pain these days.

But no doubt, ownership, particularly the driving part, has been the most fun.

thoke, plastique999 and Thecadster like this.
  6. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    A track car, a GT, a sports car, a luxury sedan, and an SUV will cover all bases. So 5?

I personally have 11 cars, probably too many for most but I love my toys what can I say.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

plastique999 and Thecadster like this.
  7. rquad

rquad Karting

Jul 26, 2019
    Georgia
    It's interesting to hear you say that. I *almost* agree with you. I only have two toys, and I do find that after one, my attention becomes divided. Nevertheless, I still find it fun to have two totally different cars. I don't know if I would change my mind and settle on only one car if I found the "perfect" one to meet all my needs.

I think there is some wisdom, however, in what Mr. Spock (Star Trek, original series) once said - and I paraphrase: "Having is not so much fun as wanting." I "want" dozens of cars, but I would never enjoy having that many.

EnzoItaly likes this.
  8. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    For me, the style of the older cars is the main thing that is attractive about them. That said, old cars are always old cars. I have had a few, and the lack of newness never really overcame the allure for me. I am happy with one front engined car, one mid engined car, both fairly modern. By modern, I mean they have fuel injection, some stability control, and can take 10% ethanol in the fuel. Neither car is brand new, one is approaching 15 years old. Neither is an 'exotic' by most people's standards, but both are collectible in my estimation. My previous house had garage space for 10-12, but I never had more than 6 total cars IIRC, and not more than 2 sports cars.

:)
    BT

9. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    8 - a different one for every day and one for special occasions

Way2fast likes this.
  10. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    that was tongue in cheek btw i only have two cars

11. kahrl

kahrl Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 19, 2009
    Hudson, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Bob Kahrl
    Four cars is right One interesting daily driver for myself. One interesting driver for the missus. One super expensive Italian exotic. One British droptop. This is not too much maintenance for me to handle. I accept that fact that I will always want ONE MORE. I would love to get an Espada. A Stutz Bearcat. a Murcielago, a '66 Lincoln Continental. A Ford GT. But every time I get excited about one of these, I start to think about the extra trouble and expense of such an acquisition. And the fact that with the fifth car, I will be exposing each of them less often. I will have to join another enthusiast club in order for my newest acquisition to be fully appreciated. So, since my life is not built around my cars, I do not have a need to expand my garage. If you want to arrange your life around your cars, then you may need a lot more cars. I just like to have a cool car to drive whenever I go out to my garage, and I have that.

energy88 and EnzoItaly like this.
  12. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Well said! Some very good advice.

13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    For me its's four cars....2 DD's and 2 "exotics"....A fun four seater (the Lussoo), and a weekend toy (my RS)....the RS gets driven pretty much never with 2 little kids at home.....thinking of selling it, going to one fun car, and then buying an F8 in a couple years.....

As I get older the car flipping every year has slowed down....I would rather sock away the money then spend it on a car.....

rampante550 and G. Pepper like this.
  14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    In the end for me.....I just can't put up with depreciation, the money is just too valuable to piss away......so while I want a 2nd exotic, and have the money to buy the rank and file $200+k 3 year old production model, I keep going back to 10 years ago or more for something with at least stable value and still have real collectability.

rampante550 and EnzoItaly like this.
  15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Four is the perfect number plus 3 motorcycles. I have my FF as a daily driver. Gated 430 spider for back roads and sunny days. 13 year old Escalade when you need a big rig for skiing or moving stuff. Looking for maybe M5 or X5M for the wife. Motorcycles for weekly 2-300 mile ride with the guys

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Sweet spot is probably 2 in my world , right now I have 612 & 812SF (GTS to replace SF next year). However if I could , would love to have the GTO version of the 812 too (who wouldn't) . I think those 3 would be super sweet .

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I think three for Ferraris: A V12 GT, a mid V8, and a 2+2. Maybe a halo car or a rare classic if you have the coin. Then some other vehicles.

One thing's for sure, I have more possibilities now with a 1,125 SF garage. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thecadster, kes7u, BT and 4 others like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Nature abhors a vacuum.....

Shark01 and G. Pepper like this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    And I think that vacuum will suck his wallet dry

italiafan and G. Pepper like this.
  20. RossoFuoco

RossoFuoco Rookie

Feb 8, 2020
    Full Name:
    Carl Esberger
    There is a simple mathematical equation for the correct number cars you should have....
    N + 1.
    N being the number of cars you currently own.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Shark01 and G. Pepper like this.
  21. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My friend who owns over 20 cars standard answer to how many cars you need, "Just one more"

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RossoFuoco and G. Pepper like this.
  22. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Your garage holds 10 cars?

23. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Some truth to this.....just this afternoon reached an agreement to buy another toy....and even though I don't have it yet I'm thinking about the next +1

24. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    No that’s another problem, but also perhaps a healthy limiting point to not exceed more than allotted space.
    I have 2 2 car garages and a lift, as well as a 2 car carport...thus 2 SUV’s and minivan sit outside...

[​IMG]

Sent from my 16M

VAF84 likes this.