FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 12 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. f330808

f330808 Rookie

Jun 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chen Weiqi
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Add repairs to the replacement and what do you get? How about the couple of European owners who had true nightmare scenarios with multiple failures? Self insurance is an option, and that's what I do with my old Ferraris, obviously, but I wouldn't want to be that one guy with a litany of problems who is self insured with any of the modern Getrag cars. I hear every nightmare story from my favorite mechanics. I wouldn't feel like a sucker if I bought the extended warranty and never had a problem, I'd feel lucky.

How many miles do you put on your Ferraris? I expect I'd put 10K miles per year on an FF, easy, and probably over 7.5K per year on a 458.

I put that much on my 360 last year.

Radu likes this.
  3. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    I think my question is quite clear, and you can also see that I know very well which cars have a PTU.
    I have specifically asked about 4RM vs non-4RM cars in particular FF/GTC4Lusso vs F12/812, in terms of frequency of things breaking, and cost thereof, overall. I don't see how I can be more clear than that!
    I know about the PTU problems and have read all the threads from the past 2 years on it, but I've seen a handful of complaints about F12 issues (*any* issues). Did I miss them? Or is just a more reliable car? And please, don't reply with "but FF is very reliable, the PTU doesn't break in more than 3% of the cars etc".

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    perfect, i will no longer reply. i will take my 12 ferraris and 20 years of ownership, my 33k mile FF ive owned since new, and i will keep all wasted warranty premiums in my pocket.

isellair, Wazzer, Outrun and 4 others like this.
  5. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Radu, I wasn't responding to you, but rather the gentleman who asked if he should get the extended warranty.

As for your question, the F12 doesn't have the PTU and the rest of the drivetrain is very similar, so obviously it has less risk.

timjen88 and Radu like this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ff-ownership-after-6-years.583771/

the ff gets about 4 to 5k. some of them less than 200 per year. impossible for me to drive all my cars.

Jaguar36 likes this.
  7. chris0315

chris0315 Karting

Jul 11, 2014
    Richmond, VA + Düsseldorf, Germany
    Full Name:
    Christoph
    may chain of thought is, I always buy the warranty in the first place, especially if second hand and not new. However, owning the car, growing together over some time, I most likely not extend after 1 or 2 years. By that time I already have a good overview, lemon, whatever. My current FF, at the moment its in parts. I want to understand what I bought and see the condition. Sticky buttons, loose leather pieces, failure commandos or simply just rattling... i take care of everything.
    That's the German in me, that is my QM procedure :)
    After that I don't need warranty anymore. If something bigger happens down the road, like engine or tranny, there are usually independent shops that I would trust over ADs. So far my experience with Porsches, I'm adopting this over to Ferrari right now. One thing I can state so far is, the building quality is DEFINITELY a different world. But that was expected.

TriumphantTaco and Bamsefar like this.
  8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    LARRYH, otakki and Nospinzone like this.
  9. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
    ttforcefeed - please take a breather. I have read your two ownership threads twice and I much appreciate them. I have also been shouted at for having the gall to ask whether the Ferrari Premium Programme is being done by anyone. So please, just... calm down a bit. I appreciate your experience, and I appreciate your thoughts on the warranty, but let's have more opinions on this conversation without trying to contradict everyone who has a different point of view or experience. Thank you.

Len Howell likes this.
  10. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    To answer your question, I did a probability based analysis on the cost of self insuring based on data from a Ferrari service agent who contributes to the forum. The simple answer is that for the FF, it pays to self insure (you’ll find the analysis on one of the New Power Warranty threads). Given that the F12 doesn’t have a PTU, it pays even more to self insure on the F12 as the F12 DCT seems to have the same reliability rate as the FF/Lusso.

otakki, timjen88 and Radu like this.
  11. Radu

Radu Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2018
    Netherlands
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I would recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I bought my 2012 FF in May with 27k miles. I purchased the extended warranty for $5700. In Dec. with 33k miles, I walked into my garage a day after some backroad driving to a large puddle from the rear of my car. The extended warranty covered the 150 mile tow each way and the $15k repair of the intermediate transmission. I expect to put 10-12 miles per year. I will see probably extend warranty at least one more year

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

14. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Just know that if u lower ur car or have some aftermarket stuff on it it will void the warranty and they won’t include/ offer the warranty till the car passes a Ferrari inspection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I think they require the annual service and Inspection every year before extending w 28th warranty

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  16. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Scratch out w 28th in sentence above

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's no right or wrong about whether you buy a warranty. Each individual does what they are comfortable with. If a $20,000 repair will hurt you financially, buy the warranty. If a $20,000 repair won't deprive your family, then save the $6,000 to $7,500 each year.

I don't know what the PTU, or other covered items, failure rate is, but I can tell you with 100% certainty the insuring company is profiting from selling the warranty. So if you can afford the risk, don't fill their pockets, keep the money in your pocket. ;)

otakki, Jaguar36 and timjen88 like this.
  18. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I spent over $7,500 per year on two of the three Ferrari's I've owned. Admittedly, I was sorting out and restoring two cars over ten years old, but I would not expect to have to spend that much on anything 458/Cali/FF/F12 or newer. I'd buy the warranty.

19. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    George, I'm not sure what you are saying. If you "would not expect to have to spend that much on anything 458/Cali/FF/F12 or newer", then why would you buy a warranty?

andyrichter and timjen88 like this.
  20. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Because I would not accept a huge bill for that new of a car. I don't see what you're not understanding. I'd rather pay the $7,500 up front and not worry about an unexpected $20K+ bill. Remember the early F1 failures? The kit was originally $12K before labor. Well over $15K out the door. Getrag failures were originally a replacement only option. Much more than $15K. So it's less than a half-price repair if you have the warranty.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Well you said you spent $7500 per year on some older Ferraris, but you wouldn't expect to have to spent that much on a newer one. So if you wouldn't expect to spend $7500 per year on a newer one, why would you buy the warranty? That's what I'm not understanding, but it's OK and it doesn't matter. People should do what their comfortable with.

andyrichter and timjen88 like this.
  22. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    My logic is perfect, it is you who suffer from lack of understanding. I pay $7,500 and never have to worry about anything more than that. Simple as can be.

And why aren't you subscribed?

23. CLG

CLG Rookie

Feb 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    CHRIS GREATREX

24. CLG

CLG Rookie

Feb 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    CHRIS GREATREX
    Exact same scenario. Just found out it costs $47,000 can dollars mind you but OMG!!

25. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Ouch - it sounds to me like you were conned and the seller knew of the problem. I've added your car to the database but is there no consumer protection for you at all? In the UK, auction cars can be sold 'as seen'or with 'no major faults'. A PTU failure the next day would constitute a major fault.

PTG1 and CLG like this.