Damaged seat; fixable or walk away? | FerrariChat

Damaged seat; fixable or walk away?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by pninja005, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I'm looking at a beautiful low mileage car but the driver seat is slightly damaged (see picture).

I wonder if this can be fixed or I should walk away and search another car?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Ray Wellington

Feb 10, 2020
    United kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ray Wellington
    A good car interior trimmer should be able to re-surface the area. It can be sanded, filled and coloured again. The creases won't go but can be reduced. Is the low mileage at odds with the level of damage? If so, it could indicate the car has been used as a press demonstrator or track rental? Lots of driver swaps for short mileages....

3. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    Damage like this wouldn't cause me to walk away if the rest of the car was just fine. The bolsters in vehicles easily get scuff marks as people enter and exit. Even more so with vehicles that are low on the ground and have those long doors like Ferrari's tend to. I've seen scuffs worse than this that were fixed to look like new by a leather expert. They can dye the leather if it's lost its tint/color, and the scrapes can be filled in and repolished. Worst case, they unstitch and restitch some new leather in lieu, but to me, that looks like something that wouldn't cost much to get looking like brand new if you go ask for a quote on time and labor.

IloveGT likes this.
  4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    My car was far worse when I purchased it. For $400, it was fixed to look like new. Going on 1,000 miles later, still looks pristine. So many other things would be far, far, more important and expensive to fix than this.

I think the key to keeping the seats looking new in these cars is the method the driver uses for entry and egress. I don't rub my butt on the seat ever. I lower myself into the seat, trapeze style, and don't wear abrasive clothing, like jeans with metal cleats. If you're careful, you can keep the seats looking new for many thousands of miles.

willrace likes this.
  5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Seems there ought to be a market for a nice looking bolster protector. That is the most wear/damage prone area of the seats.

6. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I thought this thread was a joke. If that is the only damage on the car, why worry about it (unless you intend to never drive it)?

IloveGT, Eric C, technom3 and 4 others like this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    That damage can be fixed on your own for about $100 or cheaper. Leatherique can get you black die... it would take about 10 min. then let it sit for 2-3 hours, and re apply for another 10 min... voila done.

I would not consider that damage at all.

tfazio and David_S like this.
  8. peppe siciliano

peppe siciliano Karting

Dec 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    Peppe
    Modern ferraris use soft leather, this is normal and should not put you off buying the car.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Manda racing likes this.
  9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

That there my friend is a Nothing Burger. If the rest of the car checks out , go for it. Let’s see the rest of the rig.
    Best ,Kirk.

10. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    Thank you all for feedback! Great to hear this can be fixed.

Now I need to make final decision :)

11. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Looks fine to me... easily rectified.

Robb

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Omg!! Walk away!! Now..run run as fast as you can! A wrinkled seat..oh my goodness..get out..its simply an abused car..it will fall apart as soon as you get it home..

thorn, unreelviper, APA#1 and 4 others like this.
  13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    If that would cause you to walk away I wouldn't want to be around when you got your first scratch.....

APA#1 likes this.
  14. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Unless it's top tier car like a LaFerrari or something I wouldn't worry about it. Hell, even then I probably wouldn't worry about because if I had the bank to buy that car and it bothered me I would just get it fixed.

15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Definition of "Wear" -vs.- Definition of "Damage"

Normal Buyer -vs.- Ferrari Buyer

thorn and EastMemphis like this.