Trickle charge 328 | FerrariChat

Trickle charge 328

Discussion in '308/328' started by LuigiVampa, Feb 10, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    As I explore my new to me 1988 328 I decided that I should probably put a pig tail for a trickle charger (really a battery maintainer) on the battery. I did a thread search and see a bunch about batteries and charging but none with what people actually do.

I live in the northeast and might go for a long period without driving it over the winter. That being said, I don't want to unhook the battery as any nice day I get, where there is no snow or salt on the ground, will be a day I want to drive, and I don't want a small project such as reconnecting a battery to stand in the way.

I have two ideas - cut a slot in the plate over the battery and snake the pig tail through the spare tire; or

let the pig tail drop down and plug it in under the car.

I have to say that while the second option means no cutting or anything else it is a pain to lay down on the dirty garage floor even with a blanket to lay down is annoying.

Accordingly, I may go with an option that allow me to plug and unplug from the top but want to see if anyone has any advice and/or pictures of what they have done.

Many thanks!

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Alas, this too has been discussed many times here on fchat. A couple ideas came to the surface. One was to run wires to a weather proof jack mounted in the front wheel well. Another which I use is the cigarette lighter adapter available for most popular battery maintenance devices.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Another option is to use a race style on/off switch under the front hood so its easily accessed

Older cars tend not have as high parasitic draw as new ones and few chips to keep live so turning off is less of an issue

Am I misremembering but didn't the 328 come with a battery switch from the factory ? Edit: owners manual says it did

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Why would you want to do that? The 328 has a ground connector in the nose of the car: it is a big red plastic connector affixed to the chassis bar just behin the left (driver's) headlight pod. You disconnect it, the car stays calm and silent for weeks, or months, if necessary; reconnect it, the car usually starts up first time. This is what I have been doing for the last twelve years.
    Why would one do his best to complicate simple things?

Rgds

5. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Yes, look to the left front side of the radiator. There is a battery plug you can disconnect, which I always do after every drive. The battery can sit a whole winter and the car will start easily in the spring again.

6. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    First of all don’t use trickle charger, instead use Battery Tender by Deltran somehow there’s a difference, second if you do a search under Battery tender, you’ll see a lot of thread about it.

Saabguy likes this.
  7. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    for any
    Exactly what I do: no need for anything more complicated. These are simple cars, don't overcomplicate it, or overkill it.

Rgds

By the way, Conan: nice cat in your avatar; I'm a cat fan...

Rgds

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have had my 328 in "storage" for as long as 7 months on one occasion (typically 4-5 months), using the battery quick-disconnect as described, NO chargers of any kind. When it's time to 'unstore,' I connect the battery and the car starts as if it had been running in the past few days (Stabil added to fuel at last drive before storing). No need for a trickle charger unless you object to resetting the clock! :)

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Was waiting for you to chime in, Mike: indeed, no need for a trickle charger, really; disconnect the battery with the ground connector and you are good. That is, if you have to. Because a good spirited drive to exercise the car once eyery three weeks or so for about 50miles is as good as she can get. That is: IF you have the time, IF if the roads are free from salt, if, if, if...etc.
    If not: disconnect the big red ground connector for as many weeks as needed, the car will start up once called for duty.

Rgds

10. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Not looking to complicate anything - just trying to learn about a car which is weeks old to me. Did a fair amount of searching in the threads but did not come up with anything related to the disconnect. Probably because I was search for a trickle charger.

The chargers I own are actually battery tenders and not trickle chargers as I stated in my original post.

I appreciate the information and was unaware of the disconnect plug in the front of the car. I may have someone wire in a proper disconnect switch as those plastic plugs can get brittle with age.

This seems like the way to go so appreciate the information.

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    It's not a complicated car: gently disconnect the big red ground connector in the nose, and you are good, and can sleep well. Been doing this for the last twelve years, and, as said by Mike: recoonect it, and the car springs to life again.
    No need for more, really

Rgds

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Right, been doing as Neo described since I bought the car in '08. I do the same thing on all my vehicles that end up being stored for extended periods - cars and bikes - I just disconnect the battery. Never any issues and the 328 is the easiest of my vehicles to disconnect - takes maybe 30 seconds if that. Open hood, pull disconnect, lower hood. :) All the rest I actually have to use tools! :(

rocket50 and Rifledriver like this.
  13. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    LuigiVampa,

I know where you are coming from. First thing I did when I got my 328 was to replace the battery and do what miketuason said above; Buy a battery tender from Deltran on it (our Costco has been carrying them for a while now).

I ran the connector up through the front grill and (you can barely see it) and my battery stays charged without issue. Since all batteries gradually self-discharge over time, I would never let a battery just sit un-tended.

Craig

LuigiVampa and miketuason like this.
  14. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    That's where I ran my Deltan connector. If you know what to look for and are looking down low you will see it otherwise, it's "invisible." Disconnecting the ground, which is dead easy and clean, is not the same as having a charger that cycles the battery, what I believe Deltran says that there's does.

Lester

LuigiVampa likes this.
  15. Freddie328

Freddie328 Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    If relying on a disconnect to ground, just make sure there isn't any direct wires to the battery. Mines got an immobilizer / alarm / tracker that someone has connected directly to the battery, and this certainly runs the battery down. Apparently they're normally connected this way so power is taken from the car whenever possible, hence saving/charging the back up battery inside the Tracker.
    I use a an Optimate smart charger connected onto the cigarette socket. The batteries 10 yrs old and recently tested out to be in almost perfect condition.

LuigiVampa and Crowndog like this.
  16. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I mounted one on my 308 in front of the battery. I cut the power cord and shortened to a perfect length so I can pull the plug only out about 2 inches from behind the grill with no slack behind it. When I need the car I just unplug it and push it back into the grill. I made an Optma battery last about 8 or 9 years that way.

LuigiVampa likes this.
  17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Same here.

Surprised the hell out of me how long that battery lasted. I bought the deep cycle, don't recall if that was red or yellow top.

18. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Mines a Varta (Bosch) Silver Dynamic. Brilliant batteries! Genuinely - load test showed around 100% after ten years ( mainly on an Optimate)

19. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Good information.

There appear to be three camps -

Keep driving the F car so the battery never goes dead (impracticable in the Northeast)
    Disconnect the battery
    Put the battery on a maintainer

I'm going to see where I do but for now I am taking the car for a spin every week as the snow has stayed away for the most part this winter. Let's hope it stays that way!

20. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    Nerofer is correct, no need for tender / battery maintainer but you can still use them especially for long periods of not driving, it will make the battery last even longer especially if you can't obtain an Optima or similar quality battery like in my case. Most average car batteries will age quicker if just standing shortening their life span, the maintainer keeps things moving in there...

cheers

21. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I have a battery conditioner , it plugs in the cigar lighter socket. Been doing it that way for 20+ years. My car has an alarm system on it that will go off if I disconnect the battery via the red plug thing. It stays locked & alarmed, always has.

The battery that was in the car when I bought it lasted for over 10 years after a bought it. The current battery (Bosch S5 007) has done at least as much again & last I checked span the motor like a top, so I think its fine :D

22. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Can you share the brand of trickle charger you use?

Sent from my SM-G965U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

23. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    It has no name on it. Its quite a big thing in the modern context & over 20 years old now.

If I was buying one today it would probably be a CTek

24. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Saabguy likes this.
  25. Freddie328

Jul 29, 2013
    Herts, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I wouldn’t touch C Tek with a barge pole. Ive had three. All have failed due to the mode selector button.