Ferrari F1 2020 ( 671) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F1 2020 ( 671)

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, Dec 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Is Vettel still there?

;-)

Note that the Vettel cap has vent holes for his hot head, unlike Charles' cap, LOL

375+, greg328 and DF1 like this.
  2. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    That's a maybe given this 2020 season will be the 1000th grand prix for the Scuderia.

Nothing confirmed yet from the Scuderia.

444sp and DF1 like this.
  3. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We´re already ****ed: I told ya, anniversary cars always suck.

DF1 likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Leclerc's suit has hints of black in it. (dummy suit or 2020 suit???)

He did 130 laps at Jerez yesterday in a "mule" car testing the 18 inch tires.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    matte red is staying on the car, but more white and green this year.

DF1 likes this.
  7. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yeah, that's what I'm reading as well.

DF1 and Igor Ound like this.
  8. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    #85 Igor Ound, Feb 11, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    It’s official, SF1000

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  10. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    What the heck? I think it's the last year car guys. :p

Remy Zero and Igor Ound like this.
  11. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  12. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    I am 46 years old and I am tired of being disappointed by too high expectations.
    Don't want to analyze the car
    Just wait the Melbourne qualy to make my mind.

13. V12addict

V12addict Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    Not sure if this is a winning car, but a perfect car for Seb to crash into Charles:D:D:D:rolleyes:

14. ktu

ktu F1 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Near the rear suspension I could see the new anti spin system to help Seb

shashi27 likes this.
  15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Yawn... I had to look three times to see if it was the 2020 or 2019 car.
    They have kept 98% of the livery the same.
    The car might have a different design philosophy but make the livery look just a little bit different.
    I'm already bored of the car and haven't even seen it race yet.

16. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/148213/ferrari-extreme-concept-to-maximise-downforce

Ferrari says its new SF1000 Formula 1 car is an "extreme" design, hinting at a change of concept with its challenger for the 2020 season.

It's 2019 car was based around a low-drag concept, which gave the SF90 an edge at high-speed tracks but meant it lost out at higher-downforce venues.

Speaking at the launch of Ferrari's 2020 car, team principal Mattia Binotto suggested that a different avenue had been pursued for this year.

"Certainly the regulations remain stable so it is difficult to transform completely the car," he said.

"The starting point is last year's car, the SF90, but certainly we're extreme on all the concepts as much as we could.

"We try to go for maximum aero performance, and try to maximise downforce level, so the entire car - the monocoque, the power unit layout, the gearbox - has been really packaged to have a narrower slim bodyshape.

"I think that is quite visible."

Binotto said Ferrari has made efforts to alter its suspension and the design of its power unit in addition to its aerodynamic changs.

"We work on all the components," he added.

"The suspension has been designed to have greater flexibility when being on the race track, so we can adapt the set-up to whatever suits the drivers and the circuit.

"We put a lot of effort to keep the weight down.

"We worked a lot on the power unit, not only for packaging, but we work on each single component to cope as well with the changing technical regulations, where the oil consumption will be reduced by 50%."

He added: "It may look very similar to last year but believe me it is completely different to last year.

"A lot of concepts are very extreme on the car."

Expanding on Binotto's comments, Sebastian Vettel added: "It's an incredible achievement, obviously a lot of hours go into the car.

"We had the opportunity to see it a little bit before, and to have also a direct comparison with last year's car, and you can really spot the differences, especially when it comes to packaging.

"In the back part of the car everything sits a lot tighter so there's a lot of work behind that, because it's not so easy.

"So we found some clever solutions to be able to achieve it.

"I can't wait to drive it because that's obviously more exciting than looking at it."

Share this article on

G. Pepper likes this.
  17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I see the Wishing Minnow is back, despite not being on the uniform previews.

18. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/28681542/ferrari-hope-avoid-drama-2020 -
    Ferrari hope to avoid drama in 2020

REGGIO EMILIA - For a team that struggled to escape drama in 2019, it seemed fitting that Ferrari decided to launch its new car in an 18th century theatre on Tuesday night.

Thirty kilometres from the team's base in Maranello, VIP guests, 350 members of Ferrari's workforce and countless ranks of the Italian military were packed into the four tiers of Reggio Emilia's Teatro Romolo Valli. On stage, displays of ballet dancing and acrobatics dovetailed speeches from Ferrari's top management, which simultaneously promised a brighter future while reminding those present of the brand's responsibilities to its illustrious past.

An orchestra fought a losing battle to be heard above an ever-present DJ set, but in terms of launch ceremonies it's unlikely anyone is going to come close to topping Ferrari this week. The 90-year-old Italian racing team was clearly keen to make a statement. But by the end of the evening, it wasn't entirely clear what the statement was.

Team principal Mattia Binotto is no showman. His background is in engineering and, for him, the only show that matters is the one that takes on track on a Sunday afternoon. No doubt if the decision had been his, the SF1000 (a name celebrating Ferrari's 1000th Formula One race later this year) would have rolled out on the first day of testing and perhaps kept its internal project name, 671.

A matter-of-fact press conference followed the all-singing, all-dancing presentation in which Binotto was more comfortable talking about wheelbases and rake angles than a repeat of the fireworks of 2019. Yet for the majority of the attending media, the fragile, human relationship between teammates Charles Leclerc and Sebastian Vettel was the first point of interest.

A number of flashpoints between the two drivers were well documented last year, culminating in the now-infamous images of the pair colliding on track in Interlagos. At the heart of the issue was the inescapable fact that four-time champion Vettel had underperformed over the course of the year and new recruit Leclerc had overperformed.

The dynamic within the team swung from Vettel this time last year towards Leclerc by the time he secured victory on Ferrari's home soil at Monza. The 22-year-old, 10 years junior to Vettel, finished the season with more points, more pole positions and more wins than is more experienced teammate.

Ferrari's partiality towards its younger driver manifested itself in a lucrative new contract in December, which will keep Leclerc in red overalls for the next five years. The big question is where that left Vettel and what it would do for the team dynamic.

Vettel's own contract expires at the end of the year, and with no deal in place his career hangs in the balance. Viewed from one side, he has nothing to lose, but he also needs to toe the line if he is to be retained by the Scuderia. The situation could be volatile or exactly what Ferrari needs.

Binotto played his first card on Tuesday night by distancing the team from rumours it was chasing six-time world champion Lewis Hamilton and naming Vettel as the front runner for the vacant seat in 2021.

"Seb is our first choice at the moment," he said. "It is something we are discussing with him and we will continue to discuss with him, but he's certainly our first option and our preference at the moment."

As for Vettel, he was keen to play down the situation, knowing -- for now at least - options are still open to him.

"Three years ago, I didn't have a contract till august, so strictly speaking I was out of business half a season before it finished," he said, referencing the last deal he struck with the team. "At some point, you need to sort out what is going on in the future. But we have enough time.

"I'm not taking any extra stress or pressure. Last year good for me, in terms of learning a lot of things, understanding a lot of things. I'm not stressed, but certainly ambitious to prove it to myself."

Whether Vettel remains Ferrari's first pick for 2021 will largely depend on what happens on track. You don't need to have been in F1 for very long to know that what's said at launches does not always translate in reality.

If Vettel can coexist with Leclerc there is no need to change him, but it also doesn't take a huge amount of imagination to picture a continuation of the problems of 2019 this year.

One thing is for sure, it's going to be fascinating to watch. Bring on the second act.

polishhammer83 likes this.
  19. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think we all can agree that we will believe the hype until we see it.

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Let’s see what’s up after the first few races....testing is bs as we all know from the last few years....

V12addict likes this.