488 Pista Battery | Page 3 | FerrariChat

488 Pista Battery

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MuratC, Nov 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dylie

Dylie Rookie

Dec 20, 2017
    New Pista died today after 2 hours with door ajar. Dead dead, no lights, nothing. An hour on the battery tender and it was back in business, fired up cleanly, no errors/warnings. This thread was very helpful.

SECRET likes this.
  2. I hear you on that.

Leaving the door ajar even for 2 minutes will throw up error codes.

3. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I have two Pista. One charger is fine the other won’t start charging. I’ve tried pressing reset but the first charge light just blinks. Nothing seems to work to get the charger to see the car and start charging. I have swapped chargers between cars and same thing results so I think I have isolated it to the charger, not the cars. Anyone figure this out yet?

4. I'm still trying to figure out how you got two Pistas.

5. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    or why...

6. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I’m sure you would have a lot of questions about my garage then. Why a Pista coupe and spider? Because they are amazing cars.

On the battery note, it seems that one is simply defective. Few dealers have extra Lithium battery tenders in stock yet, but I have a parts manager ordering one. I think this will be covered under warranty given how new the tender is.

Or why? Man that’s a weird comment to me. Now, why five 16M’s, or three F12 TdF’s? That question makes some sense perhaps. Lol

7. XSQF

XSQF Rookie

Apr 5, 2019
    Get rid of the factory charger and grab any ctek with recond function.

8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I know this is very very basic, but have you tried cleaning the terminals on the tender as well as the car? I had this problem with my cars and I went through the same process and then one day I thought- why not try the obvious- I'll try cleaning the connections- and it worked! Even though one tender worked on one car and didn't on the other... If you haven't tried it, its at least an easy thing to try... Good luck with it and yes, these are AWESOME cars!!

LARRYH likes this.
  9. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    I have not found one with the reverse magnetic Ferrari adaptor yet. I bought one on EBay and then he wrote to say he was out of those adaptors.

10. SECRET

SECRET Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 19, 2007
    Cool story.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. There is a Pista CTEK adapter on eBay that I'll order after I hear back from the seller on whether this part different than the Portofino or 488 GTB adapters they sell.

11. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Omg. I did it one day but less diligently. Really wet it down and rubbed with a towel. It works. Thank you!

Bundy and Caeruleus11 like this.
  12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Another silly thing:
    The magnets on the car side of the connector on my 812 are stronger than the other cars, I had been pulling on the end of the connector to remove it, well this added resistance meant that my usual method of pulling on the wire instead of the rubber/plastic connector meant I stripped the wires right out of the connector! Fortunately its very easy to fix.... adventures in charging land lol.

13. Darrmill

Darrmill Rookie

Jul 2, 2018
    Full Name:
    Darrel Miller
    I don't know if it will solve your problems, but it seems like it will..... there is a company called Antigravity Batteries who are doing some killer stuff with Lithium. They have BUILT-IN WIRELESS Jump Starting! So you don't have to jump start the battery and CAN'T be stranded... the battery won't allow it, it goes to sleep mode if over-discharged. And has all the other protections.

I have a GT3 and bought one last year... been flawless. Tested the Wireless Jump Starting when I first got it.... freaking worked like they said, but didn't ever have to use it since. Just tested it by draining it. I was surprised to see people talking about Braille and Super B and nothing about Antigravity. When I did research I found Braille and Super B didn't have protections and cost a lot more... then when they had the Wireless Jump Starting and it was about $800 dollar less than same size Braille I bought it. My Battery is a OEM fit for GT3 was H6 size...though they make a lot of size. They are big on the Porsche side of things... at Rennlist there is tons of info on Lithium batteries and them.

I bought it here... https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/starter-batteries/automotive/

They have a video here about it...

Gh21631, kussetimii and mdrums like this.
  14. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I second the Anti- Gravity battery..I do not have one but I know guys that use these in ther Porsche and are very happy no issues with these lightweight Lithium batteries.

Question though...is there an issue with the Ferrari Battery Tender that came with my 2019 488? Do they not work correctly or well?

15. ROBOS

ROBOS Rookie

Nov 24, 2012
    Pista battery gone flat after 3 days. Plugged the Ferrari charger in and green light just flashing.....any suggestions please?

16. Twosherpaz

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    Best advice is really clean the contacts on the car and charger. Unplugged, use wet towel and make sure they are clean.

If that doesn’t help, try holding down the reset button on the charger until it like reboots. One time that did the trick.

Finally, battery is behind footwell passenger seat. I have successfully jumped a couple of my Pistas on the battery using Lithium jump starters.

Lastly, or if not in a hurry, you do have free roadside assistance with the car. Sometimes it is just a bad battery. I just haven’t had one myself. I killed it once keeping it on in auxiliary mode. Another Pista I think I just left unplugged for too long.

17. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I would love to see a picture of your garage. Please post some pics and let me drool. :)

LARRYH likes this.
  18. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    After reading about the potential Pista Lithium battery problem,I installed a NOCO Eyelet cable adapter to plug into my starter pack. As you can see from the pic,the eyelets fit well into the positive and negative cable bolt clamps. I am using a LITHIUM compatible NOCO starter pack. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bundy and MANDALAY like this.
  19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Every 488 , Pista owner should have a starter. Fact is the chances you need it one day is 100%. Don't um ah about it BUY one today unless you already have on. Boy oh boy I really wonder what the SF90 and LB will be like

Bundy and Art138 like this.
  20. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    Anyone tried just disconnecting the terminals if no tender is available? Since no parasitic draw, maybe it won’t drain as quickly?

21. TAM340R

TAM340R Karting

Jul 26, 2015
    Hi Art ,

Sorry for my bad English ,

I would like to ask you 2 things

Is the eyelet cable adapter coming out permanently from behind the plate in front of the Baterry in order to be immediately accessible , at the top maybe..?

What Noco starter pack would you recommend?

Thanks and have a nice day

Tamas

22. Fixer03

Fixer03 Karting

Nov 1, 2015
    I had the same thing, plug in as normal and keep your finger on the rest button for 20 secs or more and eventually it'll tell the battery to kick in and brings back to life.
    These battery's have a 10% safe mode to protect them from running all the way down and when 10% is reached it cuts power to the whole car, holding the reset tells the battery to reconnect and it'll start to charge again.

23. F12london

F12london Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    London
    Hi Art,can you give me the Noco model that is compatible with starting a lithium battery,when I contacted Noco recently they said none of their existing products were compatible.