458 Italia or LP560-4 Superleggera? | FerrariChat

458 Italia or LP560-4 Superleggera?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Farris, Mar 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Farris

Farris Karting

Apr 20, 2007
    #1 Farris, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Guys,

Advice and opinions would be appreciated. For many, myself included, the 458 is the go to car in this price range. However, the Superleggera can be had for almost the same price, has CF all over the place, is 4wd and looks great. Given the points below what is the better car:

- it is a daily driver and will be also used on long road trips
    - the weather is often wet and raining
    - the driver is 6ft 1 and big
    - assume pricing is the same
    - 0 to 60 and 60 to 120mph is the most important as the car will rarely pushed beyond 120mph.
    - car will not be tracked
    - neither cars will receive any performance mods, but the 458 would be lowered on wheels (as per pic)
    - CF is really sexy and to have loads of CF in a 458 costs several pretty pennies.

Here are pics of the two cars and your advice is much appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    One car requires gold chains - I jest....

I've thought about an SL as well, very cool looking cars. But if you want a drivers car I believe the 458 takes it. The AWD of the lambo will serve you well in wet weather. But it does numb the steering, and the electrical nannies interfere more in the lambo than the 458.

3. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    My first thought is how annoying the interiors look on the "track" cars. Would take fine leather in an instant. Then you have to think the 458 would be so much better for a DD and long trips. And Lamborghini's are not "big" friendly.

I'm not sure given your background and requirements why you are considering the 570-4 at all.

Actually, your choice should be a 458 and a macca.

4. Farris

Farris Karting

Apr 20, 2007
    #4 Farris, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    Thanks for the feedback!

4 wheel drive is big deal in places with bad weather, loads of CF, I really like alcantara and the car looks much better and more special than the normal lp560.

I am not sure what you mean by macca? I assume it is an abbreviation for either the McLaren or Ma Carbon... Regarding the McLaren, I don't like how the exterior looks, the interior is disappointing, its awkward to get into and the doors stop you from parking in a parking lot with cars next to you. MA Carbon is great but ads more cost and requires removing a lot from the interior.

I do think you are probably right about the 458 being a much better DD and better for long drives. The bucket seats don't seem to comfortable.

It would be great if someone chimes in that has spent significant seat time in both.

Thanks Again!

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Yes, McLaren.....haven't driven one but everyone raves about the ride comfort and ergonnomics.

6. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    The 458 is, by all accounts, one of the great current driving experiences, perhaps the greatest drivers car available today. So, that would be my call ALL day long and twice on Sunday.

PDG

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    4wd for me is a total non-starter. If I want a Jeep, I can get one a lot cheaper than this. :)

458 all the way. It has an Ediff setting for rain and snow if you're planning and driving it that way.

Besides, the Lambo is at the end of it's product lifecycle. The 458 will get you back more on resale.

8. Farris

Farris Karting

Apr 20, 2007
    Thanks Guys!

What is so funny is I also posted a thread in Lamborghini section of 6speed. They all said LP560SL no question and all you guys say 458.

Here is what I have gathered from all the input I have received:

Pros for 458:
    - Has more modern electronics
    - Has more comfortable seats and a more spacious interior
    - Is in the middle of its life cycle where as the 560 SL is at the end
    - Transmission is the best! It's like one big gear and is so easy drive around town. Having spent a couple weeks behind a 458 this is certainly true.

Pros for LP560SL:
    - Looks!
    - Interior is sexy as hell!
    - Four wheel drive. This is crucial as the roads are very often wet. I know the 458 has a rain setting, but it cuts power.
    - can be upgraded with a nice touch screen head unit, whereas the 458 has a really annoying interface for music control and song selection.
    - due to the ability to add a head unit, one can put in a really nice light weight audio system. Carbon fibre speakers and sub, digital amps...
    - SLs are more rare than 458s

Important Questions Left To Answer:
    - Since the 560SL is at the end of the Gallardos life, how much is it likely to depreciate over the next year or two compared to 458? This is a crucial consideration.
    - when is the Cebrera (Gallardo Replacement) coming out in Europe? Some speculate it will be much more expensive than the Gallardo, if priced around the same this would likely be an upgrade when available.
    - All SLs I have seen have bucket seats. How comfortable is it on long drives? I need to sit in one I guess, but more input is welcome, especially on long (several hour) drives.
    - Which has more trunk space? The rear shelf will not be useable due to lightweight audio system.

What can I say guys, two great cars! I do think the SL is more special and purely on sex factor it would be the SL. The 458 seems to be a more logical option. My heart is telling me SL but my brain is telling me 458. I need to answer the questions above to be fully informed.

Thanks Again!

9. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The SL might be more rare, but to most people, it's just a Lamborghini. Kinda like a Z06 or ZR1 are just corvettes.
    I like the lambo a lot, but I'd pick the 458. I've never driven either, and only ridden in a 560-4, but the Ferrari seems more fun. Being in the rain all the time might diminish that, but I'm not sure how much fun the SL would be either. I know storage in either car is not much. Hard choice if you like both cars.

10. Farris

Farris Karting

Apr 20, 2007
    Just a Lamborghini? Come on man, a Lamborghini isn't anything like a Corvette.

11. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    Farris, don't think you can wrong with either car. They are both awesome!

I recently purchased a LP550-2 after also considering a 458 and 430 Scuderia. My LP is a weekend car, wished I drove daily though. Every time I drive her it puts a smile on my face.

Best of luck!

12. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    I'm just messing with you. I love the Balboni. I wish they would do an SL 570-2 just to see. That would be a comparison to the 458. And I'd love to have to make your descision, your not going to lose.

13. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I drove these back to back in vegas late last yr. The lambo was the performante spider version and the 458 was coupe. Also know i love convertibles and track versions of cars so lambo had an advantage at the start.

Well forget it! Ferrari was like a car from the future. The gearbox and steering were so much more alive it made it a non comparison. Comfort was way up on ferrari also. Lambo felt like a modified gtr in a good way and 458 felt like nothing else

Didnt drive on track so cant compare that and lambo may come out ahead here. Sl interior is awesome and seemed better quality than 458 too. Unfortunately cf squeeks a lot so be careful there. And seats do not adjust and are hard. Btw, convt top was great and is a terrific open car

Get the 458 without question. Gallardo was a game changer weh it came out vs 360 but no contest now vs 458

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Actually, the poll has the Italia with a 7:1 advantage......on a Lamborghini sub-forum no less

So you live in England right? Do they actually call it a LP-560SL, or is it a 570-4 like it is here?

As far as depreciation, the SL will get killed in the next few years.......example, our local Houston dealer has a 2011 with 2,800 miles, and a new 2013. The price difference is $71,500.....a cool $25.50 PER MILE DEPRECIATION

15. Farris

Farris Karting

Apr 20, 2007
    Yes, I live in England. They call it the 570-4

Either the 458 or 570-4 would not be new. Either would be a year or two old, with low mileage and that have already taken the initial depreciation hit (458 about 25% and 560-4 about 32% based on UK and European Prices). I think the price of the new Gallardo will play a big part on depreciation. If its price is much higher than the LP560 (like the 560 did to the original G), then I don't think the 570-4 would take a huge drop.

Lamborghini are unveiling something this Tuesday at the Geneva Motor Show. I think it will be the New Gallardo replacement but some say it will be a 4x4 or a sedan. It will be very interesting.

16. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    And as far as awd practicality, lambo comes with r compound tires which are useless in bad weather. You would need dedicated winter tires to take adv of awd. 458 on mich ss tires with all its electronics would be equal in bad weather

17. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
  18. fiorano94

fiorano94 F1 Veteran

May 26, 2006
    MW/NW/SE
    Go drive both. Whatever feels best...buy that one.

19. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

"560SL" ......lol

20. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Talk about reviving a dead thread. Lol

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    But what did he buy?

And has time changed our opinions?

22. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Added a 570 SL to my garage and it compares nothing to a 458 in a good way.
    If you want comfort go 458 if you want a raw experience and loud noise get the SL.
    In my book the SL wins on everything except comfort (bumpy road button in the 458 is magical)