512tr compression/leak down testing? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

512tr compression/leak down testing?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 71veedub, Feb 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaseratiMike

MaseratiMike Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is why I rarely bother on Ferrarichat these days and most likely why the forum is getting quieter... great technical information but too much of this unnecessary rubbish which is off putting. ***sigh***

turbo-joe and vincenzo like this.
  2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    40 minutes to lift and perform a through inspection? Must be some inspection. It probably takes that to properly lift a car and get the wheels off, let alone the trays and to actually inspect anything. The last comprehensive PPI I had done on a car was 6 hours and I was at the shop to see what was done. Maybe you could half-ass look at a car in 40 minutes, but my PPI came with a comprehensive write up, photos, issues, quotes for repairs or suggestions for maintenance, etc. So in that regard Brian is absolutely correct in observing why so many ****ty cars are sold when these “2 hour” inspections are being done.

You also slag off Brian by insinuating he is expensive/overpriced which is absurd. People hire qualified techs to to quality inspections. If it were a money grab for him wouldn’t you think he’d push a leak-down and a compression test rather than saying one wasn’t necessary in all instances?!

Lastly, your persistence of posting attacks makes you look like a ******. It’s keyboard warrior behavior. Why not step back from that approach and post as-if you were face to face with any of the posters you’ve responded to, and as-if you weren’t looking to loose teeth over your statements. The discussion my prove more fruitful with that approach.

MOSS likes this.
  3. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    My core point is that an extensive research (like a leakdown test) is overkill on a 100k car. It tells you nothing of value in a ppi and serves only to pad a bill. A cursory 2-3 hrs will knock 99% of the ‘not so good’ cars out of the running.

Like your suggestion of ‘pulling the wheels’.... why? To check for a cheap pair of pads? So what? Do that on three potential cars and you’ve paid for a new set of pads! You can adequately inspect for a warped rotor as you drive. You can adequately check for a scored rotor on the lift with the wheels on.

It is impractical to truly check the expensive ‘problem areas’ on these cars - diff, gears, belts etc require a tear down to inspect.

...and yes - asking your client to do a leakdown and a compression test is padding the bill. Ditto for pulling the wheels. As you note - Rifledriver apparently does not typically recommend this on a TR. Personally, for a 100k car I think a comp test has merit.

As to photos... not my cup of tea. I prefer a thorough checklist. “Lots” is not a checklist.

I’d love to discuss a ppi on the basis of facts... but challenging ‘credibility’ and then impugning a person on that basis is truly a childish attempt to hide ignorance. Declaring “Lots” with condescending words and direct name calling is an equally childish attempt to hide.

So then - does anybody want to talk ppi on a civil basis? I am game. Always have been.

Here - I’ll start by providing a factual checklist I used in my 360 Spider search. I suggest that this forum slice and dice it up in this thread and add to it based on a Testarossa. Lets talk facts... rather than BS and insults.

Attached Files:

4. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Joe, couldn't have said it better. 6 hours is around the time on any of my PPI requests as well. Agree with every word of this post.