Rattle/Creaking noise on 458 trying my sanity (video inside) | FerrariChat

Rattle/Creaking noise on 458 trying my sanity (video inside)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rotate, Feb 8, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    #1 rotate, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Would really appreciate some help diagnosing a kind of creaking rattle sound thats been driving me crazy on my 2014 Berlinetta. The noise appears to rear its unwelcome head once the car is fully warmed up (as in interior cabin temp). When I first drive on cold winter mornings here in New York the noise is generally absent (there is another metallic kind of cling that happens over ever bump or undulation that I've given up on finding after hours or obsessive prodding which can also be heart in this video), but once the cabin is warmed or I park outside in the sun for a bit, I come back in to hear this creak when driving.

The noise seems to occur more or less without correlation to bumps or undulations but thats hard to say. It seems just the movement of the vehicle is enough to produce it. I brought the car in for service recently and they tried tightening some suspension components thinking the rattle could have been from there, but I heavily doubt they road tested the car or drove it when the interior was warmed up to repeat these conditions.

In my perception, it appears to originate around the left HVAC pod/bottom of drivers side A pillar area where the phone is situated in the video, but my attempts at putting pressure on everything in that area has not reduced or altered the noise so I could certainly be off as per the source.

Any help at all is much appreciated! This is driving me crazy. (noise should be easily audible at about half volume on up).

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    There have been a few threads in regards to things like this, but not sure if they would apply. I had a freak coming from the A pillar, and the dealer put some foam in there to stabilize it. Seemed to help, but not completely fix the matter. Others had this done as well and were totally cleared. It is certainly annoying to have that going on, but mine was a more metallic sound from what I can tell. Has a dealer looked at it?

3. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Your issue sounds exactly like the sound I had, it drove me nuts! I answered a thread regarding the same issue.
    Ferrari of Long Island was able to fix mine 100% by using expandable foam in the A pillar. If you want more info, feel free to PM me. Also, if you are located near me, I would be more than happy to listen to it and confirm that it's the same issue.

rotate, Caeruleus11 and Thecadster like this.
  4. SE16

SE16 Karting

Apr 13, 2007
    UAE and London
    I had the same noise and they wanted to remove the windscreen to add more spot welding. I declined when they said the could not refit the old screen and that I would need to pay for a new one at a cost of $7k (UAE prices are nuts and with no guarantee that the problem would be resolved). I asked support from Ferrari HQ who treated me like a leper for purchasing a used Ferrari...I sold the car very soon after

5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    oh man this is painful sorry

6. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, the noise annoyed me so much that I also would have sold if they weren't able to fix it.
    I am very thankful that the dealer took the time and effort to resolve it, because I truly love the car now. It's amazing how much I can be annoyed and hate it if it rattles, and love it so much when it is rattle free. That is one of my pet peeves, and have sold two other cars in the past due to rattles that I couldn't locate / fix.

bball16, Thecadster and Lagunae92 like this.
  7. Lagunae92

Lagunae92 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2018
    SoCal
    Chris, we have spoken extensively about this. Yours was fixed, but mine persisted. Alas, my 458 is gone...Not because of the rattle, but other cars. It definitely detracted from an otherwise blissful experience. Hopefully the 812 and Pista will not suffer the same ailment.

Thecadster and up4speed like this.
  8. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    The back of my drivers seat in my 458 rubs on the back of the passenger compartment (I am tall, seat is pushed back) and makes enough noise to drown out any other annoying rattles. Such is life.

9. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Adam, yes I remember. Enjoy the 812, and Pista….2 of my most favorite cars that Ferrari produced!

Thecadster and Lagunae92 like this.
  10. RaceMX-M3

RaceMX-M3 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2010
    Frisco, TX
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I had an awful clicking/popping noise swear it was coming from the headliner area above the mirror. Turned out to be a bad shock or strut mount they had to replace. Sound is gone. Best wishes finding the culprit.

11. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Mine was making the same sound and it turned out to be some of the trim in the air vent assembly. Good luck tracking down the problem- these can really drive you crazy!

12. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    Apologies for the delay--really appreciate the responses thus far. The dealer has taken a look, tightened some suspension components and gave it back to me after I had mentioned it when it brought it in to fix another issue. I didn't really raise a stink yet but it has its annual coming up in April and I'm going to be very clear that its making me crazy and instruct on how to replicate.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    That is a particularly annoying sound. Hope you find a solution. Those windshield stickers are equally offensive but what can you do.

14. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    Don't get me started! At least I convinced the garage I use in the city to leave their damn sticker off

15. rotate

rotate Rookie

Jan 6, 2006
    Ferrari LI is my local dealer (and where I bought the car) so I am indeed nearby. Really appreciate the gracious offer. The car has a few tiny other things that make me wonder if "they all do that". Being my first Ferrari it might be nice to speak with another owner and reclaim some of my sanity! Will send you a PM soon, and thank you!

up4speed likes this.
  16. Vlad147

Vlad147 Rookie

Dec 18, 2019
    Gold Coast Australia
    Full Name:
    Vladimir Rupchev
    I have a clicking noise it comes and goes generally on a smooth road it sometimes occurs bumpy roads its constant with my 458. Did a test drive with Ferrari dealer mechanic he thinks its the strut behind the horizontal carbon fibre across the dash,it's in to rectify in two weeks , I just purchased the 2011 and will be fixed (hopefully)under warranty. It is annoying and spoils the enjoyment of driving the car to the point of wondering if it cant be fixed should I sell the car.YES

AD211 likes this.
  17. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    PM me any time, I'll help the best I can. I know how stressful/scary a first Ferrari can be.
    A group of us (approx. 9 to 25 of us depending on the day) get together every Sunday if it is dry (even during winter months) and no other Ferrari event is going on. We get together at Town Bagel in Plainview (Old Country Rd behind dealer. 1133 Old Country Rd, Plainview, NY 11803 ). Look in the New York section of forum under the thread "Ferraris and bagels 2020". We usually confirm if we are going.