456 M Steering rack removal - replacing engine mount | FerrariChat

456 M Steering rack removal - replacing engine mount

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jcbam, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    I am trying to replace engine mounts for my 456MGTA. The left side seems impossible to reach without dropping the steering rack. The engine mount bolt (24mm) is right above the the steering rack (see pic). Just want to know the procedures of removing the steering rack. Any tips and advices? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have installed a lot of those mounts and never felt the need to move the rack. You just need to reach a wrench up in there and hold the bolt while you turn the nut on the top side.

Qavion, jcbam and ferraridriver like this.
  3. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I use a 24mm 3/8" drive flex socket, connect a 3/8" to 1/2" adapter and buzz it loose with an good air impact gun.

I think that Brian is a lot stronger than many of us. I have tried using a wrench on the top nut, and find it very difficult to loosen.
    Fortunately there has always been a really strong guy in all of the shops that I have worked. I just ask for help, and they can easily loosen fasteners that I have been struggling with.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports

4. jcbam

jcbam Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    New York
    Thanks @brian. Your method works. It turned out the driver side mount is quite easy to remove after the air filter box is remove. Now my complication shifted to the passenger side. I tried jacking up from the oil pan, and a piece of 2x4 straight up to the exhaust flange on the head, jacking to the point that I feel the entire car is slight going up, I still didn’t have enough clearance to remove the old mount or put the new mount back in.

I tried to remove the bracket connects to the block. I could get the old mount out but not enough clearance to put the new mount in.

I also tried to tighten up the driver side mount and hope to rotate/tilt the engine higher on the passenger side. No luck.

Anyone can help?

Sent from my iPhone using MotorInteractive.com mobile app